Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stand or sit?

Default Re: stand or sit?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am not into performing. The most fun part of being in a band for me is the regular practice with the others.

If one were to magically say I never have to perform again, my musical life would not not be even slightly less rich and fulfilling.

I agree that I often "have to" perform. And I do it without issue. And where I can I perform sitting. My band has a semi-regular gig playing at an art gallery, where we have a nice little set up in the corner, sitting down, playing amongst ourselves. Its just about perfect. Playing standing up is not the worst problem I have with performing, (playing for a an audience who would have trouble identifying which instrument is a mandolin given three life lines, and who want less instrumentals and more singing anyway) and I generally try and accommodate everyone.

A perfect world would be one where I am an entertaining master of the mandolin, known far and wide for sitting down, and not singing.
    I'm almost the exact opposite. My favorite part of playing music is playing at a gig with a rehearsed band and a good crowd. I generally like rehearsing in that I like getting better and like hanging out with my various bandmates - but to me, it's work and can becoming frustrating when things don't align perfectly etc. At a gig, things are more open and free - plus the crowd interactions can bring me to another level that I don't think I could get to at a rehearsal.

Life without gigging has been really difficult.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

2. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Performing is always different than playing for oneself because an audience is a part of the total experience. I've never experienced an audience as a passive receiver of my action, but always a participant in the endeavor - an energy source that I interact with.

It's been challenging for me as well, without live interaction. There's a part of me that always yearns to create something and share it. When I feel an audience swinging with me, it's a type of dance unlike any other. This type of synergy is exciting for me, and unattainable without an audience. But, I love playing music and will do it without an audience as well

Music is a special way of touching - it's a very intimate form of sharing, akin to other modalities but of its own nature. Closest thing to sex that you can do with groups and that is socially acceptable -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    I'm almost the exact opposite. My favorite part of playing music is playing at a gig with a rehearsed band and a good crowd.
    Its great. So many aspects to this avocation. I think performance is maybe something that is either inside us or not. It doesn't mean one can't perform, or can't perform creditably, if it that special something isn't inside, its just that it is much more effort and feels like a hassle. Where as if you have got "it", performing is a source of energy for you. Not unlike being an introvert or an extrovert, I suppose. There is strong corroborated evidence that introverts are born, not made. Extroverts get their "energy" from public interaction whereas introverts are drained of energy by the public and seek solitude and quiet to recharge for the next barrage.

There are many stories about how actors stage actors deal with, or don't deal with, performance anxiety. I get the idea that there are more than a few actors that perhaps are not "naturals".

Now I can jam all day. Playing with friends instead of for them. (As long as I am sitting. )
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Its great. So many aspects to this avocation. I think performance is maybe something that is either inside us or not. It doesn't mean one can't perform, or can't perform creditably, if it that special something isn't inside, its just that it is much more effort and feels like a hassle. Where as if you have got "it", performing is a source of energy for you. Not unlike being an introvert or an extrovert, I suppose. There is strong corroborated evidence that introverts are born, not made. Extroverts get their "energy" from public interaction whereas introverts are drained of energy by the public and seek solitude and quiet to recharge for the next barrage.

There are many stories about how actors stage actors deal with, or don't deal with, performance anxiety. I get the idea that there are more than a few actors that perhaps are not "naturals".
    As with most everything in music, it's a skill that can be improved upon. It definitely requires effort to become an effective performer, for those of us who aren't particularly inclined. But like everything else, there's reward with the expenditure.

It's another one of those things that don't fit neatly into 'introvert/extrovert' categorical thinking; many introverts are effective performers, etc. It's a common story - for introverted types to find the ability to connect through 'alternative' means/modalities. I'd share my own story here but I don't want to bore you..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    A large part of that was dressing up for gigs (meaning show shirts, ...
    Now that is something else again. I would love to be good enough that I get away with a Nudie Suit. Were that the case, I might even enjoy it. And I would definitely stand. All decked out like a matador in a suit of lights? Darn right I would stand.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Now I can jam all day. Playing with friends instead of for them. (As long as I am sitting. )
    For sure - some of the best players hated playing on stage - and some of the worst players love it haha. There's no knock in where you get your energy and/or how you want to spend it.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post
    I always use a strap and make a point to hold the mandolin the same way whether I'm sitting or standing...
    This sounds really nit-picky but it's truly practical - I don't want to have to learn how to play this instrument twice!

So, sit or stand - to me, it should not matter.

Kirk
    Indeed- I learned that strap position that mirrors proper seated playing position and posture means one can focus on all the other details that optimize your playing-