Thread: DR Dragonskin Strings...oof.

Default DR Dragonskin Strings...oof.

I've been making my rounds on different strings to find the ones I like and will stick with for a bit, but gosh...have you ever put on strings and immediately thought, "Yeah, I'm never using these again."?

I put on DR Dragonskin strings the other day and they feel like a complete afterthought for mandolin. The package says 6 strings in some places (you do get the 8), packaging talks about 3 envelopes (when you get 4), and the A and E strings are the length of guitar strings. They sound...fine, but I was a bit surprised that they would care that little about the details.
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

Default Re: DR Dragonskin Strings...oof.

they felt like "dragon skin" on my fingers... not for I...

I have used DR Rare strings on my mandolin. The package says "acoustic guitar" but they really are an 8 string set with loop ends, appropriate length for a standard scale mando.

They're good strings, sound good and last. They were my favorites until I discovered Curt Mangan.

Glad to hear they resonate with some. I had to remove them after a week. The A kept going out of tune. Now my tuning issues are all gone.
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

I tried Thomastiks on my 23 Gibson A-2 many years ago and hated them. I like them on my vintage Lyon & Healy however but that is about it. I don't even like them on bowlbacks. And, yes, I know many folks here love them and that is fine—It is just me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1