Thread: Need Help with String Choice for Sweaty Hands

Default Need Help with String Choice for Sweaty Hands

Howdy everyone,
    So I'm wondering what brand of strings you all use that seem to last the longest. I have a struggle with my strings wearing out very fast. I can literally wear out a set of strings in a matter of hours because I sweat so bad when I play. I have been trying to use D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums but they literally last me about a day and then they are ruined. The G and D strings wear out more quickly than the A and E strings do. They loose all their pop very quickly. I have a Northfield F5S that is a hoss so it's definitely not the mandolin. It sounds great right after new strings are put on it. Does anyone else struggle with sweaty hands and if so, what strings do you use and how do you mitigate the problem?? I'm desperate for any suggestions to relieve this issue. Thanks!

Default Re: Need Help with String Choice for Sweaty Hands

Monel is an alloy that doesn't rust like phosphor bronze, so you might give that a try. Stainless steel might be worth a shot also.
    Mitch Russell

Also the Pure Nickel from GHS will not corrode like phosphor bronze.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Something I can weigh in on! I have the same problem. I can wreck a set of strings in the time it takes to play a couple fiddle tunes if I'm not careful. I've used coated strings, and they seem to last longer, but the tone is different, too.

Ultimately, I've found that I just have to be hyper-vigilant about cleaning my strings after I play. I keep a small vial of rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth in my case, and wipe the strings down before I put the mando away. Make sure you also wipe under the strings to get the crud off the bottom. If that stuff sits there it'll murder the strings. Seems to help them last, but if I forget this process even once, they die.

It's partly that, and I've also just had to become pretty good at dragging tone out of semi-dead strings. Sometimes I just accept that it's part of my tone and work to overcome it with right-hand technique.

Anyway, my sympathies. The curse of the acid sweat is not an easy one to overcome!

By the way, I usually just use regular old J74s and fight the good fight as best I can.

Thomastiks.

Any coated string should work fine, provided that you regularly clean them. Even the D'Addario phosphor bonze ones -- getting the coated versions, that is (EXP, XS, or XT). Or Monel, if you like the sound of these (I'm not a big fan). Or nickel (GHS) or nickel-bronze (D'Addario) can work. And yes, Thomastik Starks will also tend to corrode less, but they cost a small fortune. But regular string cleaning is the real answer.

7. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Yes, as mentioned above. Coated strings like Elixers might help. They are also expensive and, as mentioned above, they sound different. Maybe the solution is to buy a motorized string winder and buy your strings in bulk.

I use a motorized string winder on my 5 mandolins and countless guitars & banjos. It’s the only way to keep my sanity.

I’d recommend coated strings like elixir or maybe the new daddario coated strings might be worth a try, it’s just my 2 cents but I hope it helps.
    -Ross

Non Ferrous, Bronze + O2 'oxidizing' etc. is corrosion , only Iron & steel "Rust"..

High nickel alloys like monel are corrosion resistant wrapped around a steel core wire ,

it will still Rust, though the winding wont..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The coating keeps the sweat and grime from going through the windings on the wound strings and helps some with the plain strings. Here in Florida it is a real issue, with the salt air and outdoor gigs. I have had the best luck with Thomastiks, though the Elixirs are pretty good. Currently using Curt Mangan Monels and they are holding up. Just got rained out of an outdoor festival gig yesterday. Just having the instrument on the stand outdoors in Florida is a level of exposure that eats strings.

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

Mapes is a string maker in Tennessee. They make OEM strings for Steinway, Bösendorfer and many others. They are probably the suppliers for many other string makers who relabel as their own brand. Their mandolin strings are coated, though they won’t say with what. These are the best, longest lasting strings I’ve ever used. They beat the pants off all the usual suspects. And you can order custom gauges at no extra cost, they’re cheaper at $6 per set than all other premium strings and the customer service and shipping are excellent. NFI.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/
    Last edited by Brian B; Apr-13-2021 at 9:09pm.

I once had that issue as ateen
    Wash hands.
    Coated strings
    Flatwounds or tape wounds.
    Frequent string changes.
    Wipe strings after playing.

Coming back to report in on a little something for all my sweatyhanded friends. As I said previously, my hands are so acidic they've almost immediately wrecked through every string I've ever tried including EXPs, XTs, Elixirs, Mapes, you name it (despite my religious string cleanings after playing). I've had a set of the new D'Addario XS strings on my mandolin for the past month, and they still sound bright. It's incredible! That's four times as long as any other string has lasted for me, and still going strong. I just ordered ten sets in case they foolishly stop making these beautiful things.

Anyway, if you've got the curse of the acid sweat, I know these strings are pricey, but I definitely recommend giving them a shot.

I do still wipe them down after playing with a microfiber cloth. Haven't had the stones to try just leaving them alone yet.

Not sure how they would react, but a fun sounding different composition is the GHS silk n steel, which is not steel, but is silver plated copper wire for the g and d.
    The only down side is that you do get black tarnish residue on your hands, but the tone is tasty!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Adam Steffey uses Nickel Bronze D’Addario strings for the same reason you’re describing. He said he kills a set of strings, even coated, in a single show, but the NB last at least a few, even in humid summer weather.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

My hands are not overly sweaty but I've found the Elixir nano web mediums to be the best ones I've tried.

I don't have useful advice, but I wanted to post to commiserate. FWIW, I never found a good solution, just accepted the need to change strings often, but as I have gotten older my hands have become less corrosive.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

19. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Mapes is a string maker in Tennessee. They make OEM strings for Steinway, Bösendorfer and many others. They are probably the suppliers for many other string makers who relabel as their own brand. Their mandolin strings are coated, though they won’t say with what. These are the best, longest lasting strings I’ve ever used. They beat the pants off all the usual suspects. And you can order custom gauges at no extra cost, they’re cheaper at $6 per set than all other premium strings and the customer service and shipping are excellent. NFI.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/
    I can add a +1 to this. I go through strings quickly and Mapes have been long lasting, sound great, and it's amazing that I can get a custom set for $6/set.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

I use Elixirs on all my acoustic guitars. They don't do a phosphor bronze mandolin set though.

I found these new D'Addario XS mandolin strings locally - had them on for nearly a month, and still look and feel new:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L81977000000000-00-500x500.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	194540

If you like your strings to stay bright and new sounding (some folks don't) I'd give them a try.

22. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Curt Mangan Monel strings last an incredibly long time, my favorite string set so far
    1990 Sigma Dreadnought
    1970 Aria Dreadnought Japan made
    2012 Braund F-5 #5 made by Terry Braund - Corona,CA
    2013 Kala Tenor Ukulele

AKA Billgrass

Plus 1 on the Daddario XS. Can’t feel the coating and they last. NickelBronze would be second choice.