Thread: Custom Gauge Strings

Default Custom Gauge Strings

Which brands offer a custom gauge order. I noticed the Mapes I just ordered have a custom gauge order option. I always put together a custom gauge order for my electric strings. I always preferred a heavy top and lower bottom than what comes in electric set gauges and wind up having to order additional E B G gauges on most brands.

So far I'm preferring a 11.5 on E and .039 on G...think I'll order a .012 for E and check that out as I prefer a little heavier/beefier tone on E, don't want a thin twangy tone. A custom order would just be a lot easier than having to try and buy single strings in preferred gauges. Some brands don't even sell a variety of string gauges for each string. Couldn't find a custom order for Curt Mangan strings

Default Re: Custom Gauge Strings

GHS is very accommodating to custom orders. Any GHS dealer would be able to order you custom sits of your preferred string material. I use custom gauges strings on most of my guitars.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'll have to relook at GHS dealers I don't remember seeing a custom gauge order option. I thought I had a set of GHS but can't seem to find them. I've only had my mandolin a year or so and tried 4 or 5 brands, so far I've preferred Straight UP and Curt Mangan (no custom order that I've seen)...started with D'Addario and it seems they changed to an XT or whatever, ordered a set but meh, Martin acoustic strings turned me off to that brand...interested to see how I like the Mapes and they do have the custom gauge order option.

Newtone.

Blog Entries

I use custom gauges for my non-wound strings all the time on my mandolins, on which I also use non-standard tunings.

JustStrings has consistently provided a good selection for these. My direction up to this point in time has been from the D'Addario string group, although non-wound strings are probably all made by very few actual manufacturers and labeled by distribution companies.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Newtone.
    I ordered a few custom sets from Newtone for an archtop a few years back and they have a fine string, it took about a month to receive here in the usa and my bank has restricted any orders from the UK, why I don't know, the usa is one of the kings of fraud countries

JP Strings (John Pearse) will do custom orders.

Buy your strings as single gage in packs of a dozen each.. so a custom pick option .. you get 6 sets that way..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture