Thread: OM case stinks

Default OM case stinks

I got a Carrion case for my Eastman Octave and while it fits fine, the chemical odor given off is bogus. I have left it open in the garage at night and in the sun during the day and it's not going away, plus, it's causing the instrument itself to reek a bit. So I guess I'll return it. If anyone has a rec for a case that'll fit, that would be much appreciated. Don't really need one until the next heating season. I have seen Gold Tone cases that might work but look big.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Default Re: OM case stinks

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    I got a Carrion case for my Eastman Octave and while it fits fine, the chemical odor given off is bogus. I have left it open in the garage at night and in the sun during the day and it's not going away, plus, it's causing the instrument itself to reek a bit. So I guess I'll return it. If anyone has a rec for a case that'll fit, that would be much appreciated. Don't really need one until the next heating season. I have seen Gold Tone cases that might work but look big.
    The name of the case should have warned you ;-)

I don't know if it will affect chemical smell, but car companies use ozone (O3) to treat smelly cars.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Maybe you just need more time. Airing it out just one or two days won’t do it. You may need to ait it out for months. But if you can smell it, that means the chemical in question is volatile, and volatile chemicals always evaporate eventually. Always.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Fresh Step cat litter. Scatter some in it and close it up. Shake it around every day for a week, and then vacuum it out. Now it will smell like fresh laundry soap.