Thread: Any info on this mandolin would be appreciated

Question Any info on this mandolin would be appreciated

Hi,

I am new to mandolins but have been playing guitar for years.

I want to buy a beginner mandolin but one of good quality.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this model:
    https://matchettsmusic.com/collectio...in-with-gigbag

There isn't many options in my area and I don't find much info on this model or maker online.

Thank you!

2. The following members say thank you to fraserc12 for this post:

Default Re: Any info on this mandolin would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by fraserc12 View Post
    Hi,

I am new to mandolins but have been playing guitar for years.

I want to buy a beginner mandolin but one of good quality.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this model:
    https://matchettsmusic.com/collectio...in-with-gigbag

There isn't many options in my area and I don't find much info on this model or maker online.

Thank you!
    It was most likely made in China (Asian for sure). The brand name means very little as this instrument is imported into the US as well under dozens of brand names. If it's setup well by the shop it should work as an instrument to learn on. The top is solid wood but the sides and back will be laminated.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks Michael! I wouldn’t have thought it was Asian made in mass so thanks for that info.
    I’ve bought form here before and they do a good job on set up so might be a good option

Smile Re: Any info on this mandolin would be appreciated

Hi. Are you in UK? For beginner I would recommend a Republic mandolin. A- style from Cash Converters.

They are basically a Savannah SA-120 all solid wood mandolin with very good projection. May need a set up but the Adam Black one looks more like the run of the mill laminated back and sides and I have found that type to be lacking in tone.

Maybe I'm wrong on the Adam Black mandolin but worth trying a Republic.

According to the printed specs, the Adam Black at least has a solid spruce top -- heat-pressed, not carved (not as good) -- laminated maple back and sides, and "purpleheart" (?) fingerboard. Also a gig bag, though the pic shows a pretty basic one. US dollar equivalent is about $275, which is decent for a solid-top instrument.

Definitely Asian (probably Chinese) made, I'd guess by one of the big factories that puts various labels on their products for various distributors. Properly set up, could be an acceptable student instrument. As the previous poster says, all-solid-wood should be a better one, however. Not sure what Cash Converters sells the Republic for.

Since you already play guitar, you know about the importance of proper set-up. The variable that most guitars don't have, is that mandolin has a "floating" bridge -- not glued to the top, held on by string tension. It's of utmost importance that the bridge be properly positioned, and the saddle height be adjusted for the right "action" (string height). A good instrument dealer will do this before selling a mandolin; a fairly experienced player can learn to do this without too much effort.

You have knowledge of stringed instruments; I'd see if I could give the Adam Black a bit of a "test drive" before deciding to buy it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yes I'm from the UK, I see they have one for £69. I'd have to get it delivered unfortunately I'm not near one to try in person. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep an eye out for one!

Thanks Allen, I hadn't considered the floating bridge.. I'd much prefer to buy off a good dealer, I'd be able to do it I'm sure but having someone with experience would be better.

I can test out the Adam Black but I am worried it's more of a "student/beginner" instrument.. I know if I buy a mandolin it'll always be picked up and played

11. The following members say thank you to fraserc12 for this post:

I'm new to mandolins too and I want to buy a reliable mandolin from a trustworthy seller. Has anyone tried this mandolin from Mcneela Instruments in Dublin? https://mcneelamusic.com/string/the-mcneela-mandolin/ The price is right and it sounds good but then she is a great player!

What's your budget? Anything from Eastman will be a good solid instrument.

14. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Not much real info on the McNeela mandolin. From appearances it's another Asian-made beginner model. I'd ask the store for more detailed specs: is it solid wood, solid top, or all laminated? From the low price, I'd guess the latter, but it would be nice to have a definitive description.

Doesn't mean you can't learn on a plywood mandolin; many of us have. Crucial thing is to get it properly set up (I blathered about this in an earlier post above). When we're mostly making ugly noises on an instrument, we don't care that the noises don't project all that well. However, some mandolins at the bottom of the price scale aren't properly constructed -- don't fret accurately, can't have the string action lowered to acceptable height, etc.

Most Chinese-made "cheapos" can be adjusted to playability, even if they don't sound good. Playability's the important thing; when you get some facility on the instrument, then you go in search of better sound and feel.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The Adam Black mandolin shows a truss rod cover. The McNeela does not. That would make me believe the Adam Black was made to a higher standard and has more potential to be adjusted to a better set up.

18. The following members say thank you to robhanesworth for this post:

Also, the Cash Converters web site shows a couple of Pilgrim round hole mandolins at £199 that look interesting.

Hi again. I just googled Cash Converters mandolin and saw a Repbl9c at £55. That is not the style they used to sell under the Republic name. It was the same mandolin as the Savannah SA-120 (many years ago it was Johnson M100)

21. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Thanks Allen. I'm looking for it to play irish traditional music in particular. I must read your earlier post about set up! I'm between the beginner mcneela mandolin https://mcneelamusic.com/string/the-mcneela-mandolin/ because it has the round hole and Pilgrim round hole mandolins at £199 but I'd prefer to keep it to around 150 euro.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jimmy, I can't find that link, I've just googled it and could only find 750eu models - well over my beginner's budget!!

- - - Updated - - -

About 150 eu and I'm hoping to get a round hole mandolin. I can't see that on Eastman (they are lovely looking mandolins though)

23. The following members say thank you to michaelsondavid81 for this post:

150€ is pretty much the bottom end of the price range. I just paged through the Hobgoblin mandolin listings and found nothing that low other than a couple of plywood Blue Moon instruments.

You might check on what's available on the Dublin used market.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

THanks Allen, from reading the reviews on McNeela for their mandolin it looks like the playability is pretty good which is just what I need as a beginner. Nothing too fancy just yet! I'm going to go for this one and see how I get on.

27. The following members say thank you to michaelsondavid81 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsondavid81 View Post
    THanks Allen, from reading the reviews on McNeela for their mandolin it looks like the playability is pretty good which is just what I need as a beginner. Nothing too fancy just yet! I'm going to go for this one and see how I get on.
    Update: I got the McNeela Mandolin in the end and I’m very happy with it. It does exactly what I need it to, stays in tune and produces a sweet, sweet sound. Just right for this beginner. The team were great to deal with and got it out to me fast. No complaints at all and I’m using OAIM online mandolin lessons to get me started.

Thanks Jimmy, Allen and all, your help and suggestions were not in vain, I will be following up on them when I’m ready to invest in an intermediate/advanced mandolin!

29. The following members say thank you to michaelsondavid81 for this post: