Thread: Information on this Mandolin

Smile Information on this Mandolin

I know it's a C.F. Martin Co. Mandolin but I don't see a serial number or anything. Can anyone tell me anything about it as well as what it might be worth?

The bridge has come off and is actually inside the mandolin and of course there are no strings on it...

<Removed by Moderator. Please review the Posting Guidelines and limit commerce to the Classifieds. Thanks>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_123342.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	193511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_123415.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	830.8 KB 
ID:	193512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_123425.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	193513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_123446.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	193514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210411_123455.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	193515

<Removed by Moderator>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-13-2021 at 7:47am.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Information on this Mandolin

It is closest in specifications to style 2, but my reference books show style 2 with an ornamental inlay in the pickguard. The "H Spahr J.C." stamp may indicate that the instrument was made for a teacher, perhaps to his specifications. But no reference to Spahr is shown in the history books, so it is not possible to confirm this.

I would estimate the mandolin was built between circa 1900 and 1916. It would be considered to be a fairly plain model.

Not many Martin bowlbacks are seen on the market, so it is difficult to price the instrument. Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia currently has a slightly plainer model in stock for $650 in nice condition. If your instrument can be strung up and adjusted to play well, it should bring somewhere around the same figure, perhaps a little more or less.

Thank you for the information!

The bridge did not "come off". They are not glued on. They are floating and held on by the strings.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The bridge did not "come off". They are not glued on. They are floating and held on by the strings.
    Oh ok sorry...I don't know very little about mandolins or instruments in general. These were my father in laws who passed away.

Checking Longworth's book, I think it's a Style 1, which started in 1898 with 18 ribs in the back, went to 20 in 1904 -- when the pickguard inlay was dropped -- and went to 22 ribs in 1909. It went to a "side guard" pickguard in 1917, and was last produced in 1924. I can't clearly count the ribs from the pic, but if you do so, you may get a more accurate date for its manufacture.

I found several references to an "H Spahr Music" business in Jersey City ("J C") around the turn of the 20th century. I'd guess that the store added the second stamp below the C F Martin stamp -- because I'd expect Martin to have lined up the stamping more precisely!

Because of C F Martin's reputation in the guitar and ukulele worlds, Martin bowl-back mandolins, which were only made up to the early 1920's, sometimes get inflated asking prices. I'd consider rcc56's estimate of retail price reasonable -- again, mainly because it has the Martin label.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

When I look at the pictures and count the ribs that I can see, I can't seem to tell for sure how many it has. And I counted several times.
    I had to make my best guess from what I thought I saw.
    Anyway, if it's got 22, it is indeed a style 1. If it has 26 or so, it's a style 2. I think that the market value of either model would probably be more or less the same.

8. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: