Thread: 1920 Calace Bowlback Mandolin

Default 1920 Calace Bowlback Mandolin

Hi,

Recently inherited the pictured mandolin from my great, great grandfather, who I expect would have purchased it in Naples. Label (in photos) reads 'Cav. Raffaele Calace / Piazza dei Martiri / Napoli / signature and on the bottom left appears to be written 'anno 1920'.

Many of the inlays have fallen out, though they were preserved and I have them stored for potential restoration.

Would appreciate any information on it you can offer, I'm not familiar with mandolins in general, though I (think) I figured out how to restring it properly at least since the strings it had on it were quite ancient.

Is there anything I need to keep in mind to get it in playing condition (is that even possible given its age and apparent rebuild?) and any particular causes of concern? Or just historical fun facts generally.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/QWQ31UI

2. The following members say thank you to hyunahri for this post:

Default Re: 1920 Calace Bowlback Mandolin

Beautiful old instrument! Looks like a high-level model too, but I can't tell you anything more about it. Experts will be along soon.

BUT: until you're sure that it is in playing condition, I would advise against stringing it up. Make sure it's ready for use, then put on a set of strings suitable for this type of mandolin, and that will be a very low-tension set. Not the sort of strings you usually find in music stores, strings that are designed for heavier-built American-style mandolins.

I hope we'll get to see and hear more— good luck with it!

Judging from the pictures, it appears that you put the new strings on already. Did the seller tell you that these are very light gauge strings? If NOT, you should probably take them off, find the packaging, and post the gauges (3 digit numbers preceded by a decimal like .020) here. The experts here can tell you whether they are safe for your mandolin.

5. The following members say thank you to Steve Finlay for this post:

Modern bluegrass strings will destroy a bowlback quicker'n anything. You're going to want Dogal Calace strings or something similar.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The strings currently on there are elixir lights .010 - .034 ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E1NWS ) , but I've gone ahead and detuned it several steps to lower the tension while awaiting feedback.

You're probably going to want to go even lighter, but first you should have it checked out by a competent luthier who can tell you if it needs anything (and maybe restore the inlays for you).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

9. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

A very nice instrument and this particular pickguard design (providing it's original and not a later modification) is the one I haven't seen before. If the instrument is sound structurally Elixir strings should be OK. Fluted Calace models are always sought after by both collectors and players. It's relatively easy to do a quick test on playability. The first thing is a structural integrity, check for cracks and other imperfections and whether the top braces inside fully glued and not coming apart. Check whether the neck is straight by putting the metal ruler over all the frets and check if there are any gaps. If not take a further step. Set the instrument up (put the bridge in place - there is not much space between the pickguard and top cant on your instrument anyway so I guess it's already roughly in place). Once set up and tuned to pitch measure the clearance between 12th fret and strings. 1.5 -2 mm is considered a norm. If within this range all is well. If not - the bridge might need to be lowered - good scenario or the neck joint has given way - bad scenario. Best to see the luthier one way or the other. If all OK then play each note all the way up the neck and see if there's any buzz anywhere. If not you are ready to rock.
    Last edited by vic-victor; Aug-19-2023 at 6:31am.

11. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

You can also contact the shop at Calace.it. They are familiar with the various models over time and might va able to give you even more information.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1