Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTube

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    The "professional dreamer" bit comes from a favorite Don Williams song, from nearly forty years ago, obscure these days: "I'm a songwriter, a professional dreamer." I loved that the moment I first heard it, and it's stuck with me ever since. It was a #1 hit for The Gentle Giant in 1983.
    "Love Is On A Roll" really is a great song, but, like you, I thought that the line "I'm a songwriter, a professional dreamer" is one of the best lines ever penned. I pretty much adopted it as a fairly accurate description of myself when it first came out all those years ago. But, you know, I've really been puzzled that more folks aren't familiar with that song. Now, that was songwritin'.

(Umm, sorry to digress.)

2. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Oh, that's all right. This is sort of a break while waiting for any of the suggestions to work out, or someone else to offer a suggestion that does the trick. A bit of a palate cleanser, so to speak.

It's funny. I've been here more than thirteen years, and that byline has been here almost all that time. I've been yakking it up pretty good (some may say a bit too much, and they may be right), so a lot of eyes have seen it. And this is only the second time someone has mentioned it. It truly is a charming turn of phrase, and fairly apt description.

Don Williams may be mostly forgotten now, but he was great in his time. He came along at the right time for me, early 80s, when I had about given up on radio after all the disco, New Wave, and heavy metal they were pumping out. I got turned on to country, which I had looked down my nose at forever. But I came to understand it was very human - human voices singing about human concerns, using down-to-earth, very relatable words and phrases, and human hands playing real instruments, often doing some good picking and even stretching out, and plenty of killer hooks. A friend introduced to me a few artists - Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, The Kendalls, The Judds - and I've never looked back. Some good stuff has happened over in the rock and pop worlds, too, since then, but country music saved my life ... in a way. And Don Williams was a good-sized part of that.

I'm glad stringalong said something, because otherwise I never would have gone looking for a video, and found that one of the writers doing it live - and learned John Prine co-wrote it! And John Prine in a cowboy hat - what a hoot! And for that matter, a hat as beat-up and rumpled as Don's own hat. I wonder what the story was with that hat? It sure wasn't a snazzy $500 Stetson, But it suited him to a T, and I think he wore it about his whole career. Hmmm ...
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-30-2021 at 9:17am. Reason: Thought of something else
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, that's all right. This is sort of a break while waiting for any of the suggestions to work out, or someone else to offer a suggestion that does the trick. A bit of a palate cleanser, so to speak.

It's funny. I've been here more than thirteen years, and that byline has been here almost all that time. I've been yakking it up pretty good (some may say a bit too much, and they may be right), so a lot of eyes have seen it. And this is only the second time someone has mentioned it. It truly is a charming turn of phrase, and fairly apt description.

Don Williams may be mostly forgotten now, but he was great in his time. He came along at the right time for me, early 80s, when I had about given up on radio after all the disco, New Wave, and heavy metal they were pumping out. I got turned on to country, which I had looked down my nose at forever. But I came to understand it was very human - human voices singing about human concerns, using down-to-earth, very relatable words and phrases, and human hands playing real instruments, often doing some good picking and even stretching out, and plenty of killer hooks. A friend introduced to me a few artists - Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, The Kendalls, The Judds - and I've never looked back. Some good stuff has happened over in the rock and pop worlds, too, since then, but country music saved my life ... in a way. And Don Williams was a good-sized part of that.

I'm glad stringalong said something, because otherwise I never would have gone looking for a video, and found that one of the writers doing it live - and learned John Prine co-wrote it! And John Prine in a cowboy hat - what a hoot! And for that matter, a hat as beat-up and rumpled as Don's own hat. I wonder what the story was with that hat? It sure wasn't a snazzy $500 Stetson, But it suited him to a T, and I think he wore it about his whole career. Hmmm ...
    I grew up in rural north Louisiana. I’m just a simple country boy. Always have been, always will be. While I now live in Denver, memories of whippoorwills calling at twilight and the aroma of freshly-mown hay keep me centered and at peace. Listening to Don Williams helps with that as well.

Don Williams was in my 8-track, then cassette, and then CD players through the years. He’s still on my playlist. He did, and continues to, share time with the likes of Jimmy Buffett and the Grateful Dead. But the songs and the reassuring baritone of The Gentle Giant tell me that my country home isn’t that far away.

It’s been said that you can never go back. But to professional dreamers, there’s always promise.

Thanks for letting us all know that Don Williams is still appreciated.

6. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this. Don's been pretty much forgotten for a looong time. Decades likely. I think he was one of the victims of a Nashville housecleaning. They do that now and then, and suddenly some of the greats who made a difference and put out a lot of great music but may have been around little too long (according to some number crunchers) can't get played on the radio anymore.

But he never fit the mold, anyway. He just kind of went his own way, and stayed that way, true to himself. His music was generally very easygoing, perhaps too much so for some in the business. Not the fans; the fans loved him. But he never did really rock out, that I know of. Even "Tulsa Time" wasn't that much more up-tempo, just had that stomping outlaw country beat. Glad to have been in a band that did that, even with a pedal steel player who nailed the riff every time. Yeah, he was a good one. Doubt we'll ever see his kind again, the way things look and sound nowadays. Too bad.

This is another one of his best songs. A bunch of good wishes in a secular prayer. And live! With lots of MC!

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Jb, I almost replied to your earlier post by saying Lord, I hope this day is good
    Glad to see you were thinking it too.

9. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post: