Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTube

Default Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

A .cda file is a small text file on an audio CD containing metadata such as title, artist etc. that a CD player can display. It is not an audio file.

mp4 is a container file format that can hold both video and audio content. You cannot convert an mp3 file to mp4, apples and oranges.

I haven't used the VLC player, so I can't comment on it, but if your mp3 files play in Windows media player and not in VLC, there is nothing wrong with your files.

As mentioned above, the proper tool for the job is a video editor. I think your best bet is to connect with someone who is equipped to do this, email them your mp3 files and get mp4 files in return.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I use RealPlayer a lot for video editing, for lack of a better term. It's a free download, and comes with niceties like RealPlayer Trimmer, which enables making short clips from video and audio files, a powerful video download tool, and RealPlayer Converter, which will convert files from one format to another. I'm pretty sure this will convert a wma file (Windows Media audio format) to mp4. I'm not sure how much help it would be regarding video content. Perhaps you can convert it to mp4 as well, maybe mp3 as an intermediate step. I'm also not sure whether youtube will accept an mp4 file without video content. But it's worth a try. And even if not, RealPlayer is a fabulously useful program, you'll be glad you have it.

I did once combine an mp3 of a recording I'd done with a friend and a still of us. I wish I could remember how. I'm surprised to see people mention Movie Maker. I thought that had been discontinued. I didn't know Photos had video capability. I'm going to mess round with that for a bit and see if I can get it to work.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Resident Hack

I moved the wife over to this and she seems happy. Don't ask me how to use it but it's free and I know it will do what you're asking.

Nagware:

https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Thank you, journeybear, Mclaugh, and Mitch. Good suggestion about Real Player. Where would I find a person who knows how to do these conversions? I assume I'd google it but don't know what to write in google to find this person.

Blog Entries

These are all DIY suggestions. Any app that can do what you want should be user-friendly enough for you to do it yourself. Finding someone or a company to do it for you would probably take a while and end up costing much more than it should - unless you have a neighbor with a teenager. Moreover, it seems to me that a solution is in these suggestions. Really should be.

BTW, I tried to use Photos to do this and couldn't figure it out. But it was the middle of the night. I'll take another pass at it today and report if successful.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks, journeybear! I can't find Photo in my This Computer. I look forward to hearing how you make out with Photo.

Stringalong

Blog Entries

OK, success! It's a bit rough, but I just wanted to use something on hand as an example.

I'll try and recreate the steps I took. Bound to miss or misstate a few.

If you are using a PC with Windows 10, Photos is included. Use the search engine, or click on the Windows button and scroll through to find it.
    Go to Video Editor > New video
    In the Project library window, click Add. Browse through your computer to find your photo, and import it. Drag the thumbnail into the first frame of the storyboard.
    Click on Custom audio, then Add audio. Browse to your audio file and import it. I used drag-and drop.
    Set the duration - you will need the length of the clip, in seconds. Find this by right-clicking on the file, accessing Properties (bottom of the pop-up), and going to the Details tab. Back in Video editor, click on Duration and type in the length of the clip, in seconds.
    Click on Custom audio. Click Done.
    Click on export - I put mine into the same folder as the audio file, for simplicity.
    Go to youtube and upload.

I don't know for sure whether you'll have to convert your wma file to mp3 first. I didn't have to, as my file was already in mpeg4-audio format (m4a). I hope it converts in the process. The exported file was an mp4, which is compatible with youtube.

These are the basic steps. You can get fancier.

Good luck!
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-29-2021 at 10:16am. Reason: double checking

Hi Journeybear. Thanks for all the instructions. I was able to drag and drop my photo, but there is no option in Photos for Add audio. Where would I find that? Also, keep in mind that in VLC the tracks will not play. I'm not sure I have the right names for the piano pieces/galiardos that are in Windows Media Player.

Blog Entries

I think you'll have to convert them to mp3 files first. I don't know what VLC is. I suggest going to real.com and downloading the free version of RealPlayer, which includes the converter. As mentioned previously, the files are in a folder in the "Music" folder in your computer, not in Media Player itself. This is where the player goes to retrieve the files to play them. Click on "Music" and a column of folders will appear, one for every artist. Drag and drop works best for the converter, too. Name the converted files as you wish. Add audio pops up when you click on Custom audio. Trial and error and persistence will get you there. I had to cast about a bit, but I figured it out. Remember, mandolinists are among the best problem solvers in the world. They figured out how to play this exasperating instrument, after all.

I downloaded and installed Real Player free version. I put my CD with my Track 1 and Track 2 in the player, and saved it to Real Player, but now I can't find them. What should I do? I don't see anything that says convert, but I'd need to find my two files first. There are numerous Track numbers in Music. And Track 1 and Track 2 are in a series which is probably some other album.

Blog Entries

Perhaps if you put "Track 1" in your computer's search engine, it will pop up. Even with others named the same, perhaps, but yours will be the newest one, with today's date. Same for "Track 2."

You really should have changed their names when you saved them. Makes them easy to find.

BTW, I don't know what "saved to RealPlayer means." Save them to your desktop for now; relocate them later. Or see the following.

Or forget them. I thought the tunes were already in your computer. If not, then do this. Open Media Player. Put the CD in. From the options along the top, choose "Rip CD." This will copy the files to your computer - probably into the Music folder. Typically this process creates a folder with the name of the artist. If there is no artist named, then the default location is something like "Unknown Artist" or "Various Artists." If that's the case, Open that folder and look for the most recent files, with today's date.

PS: Look for the folder "Real Networks." RealPlay Converter will be in there.

The Track 1 and Track 2 are in Real Player, and I can hear them. But I don't see any option to convert.

Blog Entries

Open RealPlayer Converter. Drag and drop. The app will offer options. Save as mp3 back into the same folder for convenience.

Or create a new folder, named "Project" or "John Bull" or whatever. For convenience.

I've got to go. Good luck!

Which version of windows are you using?

I'm using Windows 10. I have created a Playlist, but when I go to Playlists in Real Player, it shows a zillions albums, which I never put into Real Player. From time to time I am able to locate Track 1 Galiardo I and Track 2 Galiardo 2. They are not together, and they don't always show the dates, which should be either yesterday or today, 4/28 or 4/27/21. Thanks, Journeybear, and thanks Brian 560.

This is a real nightmare. I don't know how you folks figure out Real Player or VLC converter. Most of my files show up in VLC. A few are in Real Player.

Blog Entries

Perplexing. This shouldn't be so difficult. I'll bet if I were there and could see what's going on I'd be able to sort it out. I swear, I don't know how computer help desk people manage over the phone. My respect for them has grown over the last couple days.

If VLC is what I think it is, I hate it. Do all the icons look like orange and white traffic cones? I tried a program like this several years back. It started taking over all sorts of things. I forget exactly, but it was acting almost like a virus. Had to uninstall, and parts of it were still in the drive. Think I had to do a system restore to get rid of it. Yuck!

RealPlayer is very user friendly. The Photos Video Editor method I described was a bit clunky and indirect in places, and of course there were no instructions, but I muddled through. The iffy sound quality on the finished product is due to the recording, on my cell phone. Yours should be better by comparison.

VLC is an excellent media player, plays anything and everything and can also be used to convert. Just don't let it automatically associate with all types of media files when you install it.

Two different opinions of VLC. Yes, it has taken over everything on earth. I feel like uninstalling it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, Jeff, I may have given it too many permissions when I installed it. It inserted itself into way too many areas. (Don't ask for details; too long ago.) I uninstalled, which was difficult, and went back to Real, which is A-OK by me. Easy to use, plus it has the other perks I mentioned.

Hang in there, Marian. There's a solution, even if we haven't found it yet.

Thanks, journeybear. I uninstalled VLC Media Player, and it was not hard to do. Zillions of nuisance files disappeared. I am able to convert the mp3 file in Real Player to mp4, but then I can't copy or rename the file, and I can't drag and drop it into YouTube. Of course, it's not a video. It's an audio file, and I can't find anything in YouTube that refers to audio files. I also can only create one playlist with one of the galiardos. I'd be happy to be able to upload one of the galiardos to YouTube. If I could do that, then I could try to upload the other one. I have converted both of them to mp4, but I have trouble finding them in my computer. I've renamed them Track 1 Galiardo I and Track 2 Galiardo II. Thanks for trying to help me. I have a wiki photo of John Bull that I want to add to the audio file in YouTube.

Blog Entries

OK. Go back to the instructions in Post #32. What worked for me was to start a project in Photos with a still photo, then add the audio track. You've gotten ahead of yourself with the mp3 > mp4 conversion, though it may not matter. Just add the mp3 as described. And remember to set the duration, or it won't play the whole thing.

Thanks, journeybear. You are so helpful and kind. What a wonderful person you must be. I hope you are happy. I like it that you are a professional dreamer. I'll check out your instructions later. I have a Spanish conversation on Zoom at 4:00 pacific time.

Stringalong

24. The following members say thank you to stringalong for this post:

Blog Entries

Aw, shucks! You are much too kind. Although I must humbly agree, I am a wonderful person. I'm not all that happy, really, but I get along. And I'm happy to help, though I'm a bit unhappy, since all this effort doesn't seem to be helping. A bit frustrating, that.

The "professional dreamer" bit comes from a favorite Don Williams song, from nearly forty years ago, obscure these days: "I'm a songwriter, a professional dreamer." I loved that the moment I first heard it, and it's stuck with me ever since. It was a #1 hit for The Gentle Giant in 1983.

Couldn't find a live version, but I did find one such of the writers doing it - Roger Cook and John Prine. It's a gem. John Prine in a cowboy hat!

And now, after this station break, we return you to your previously scheduled programming, already in progress.

Thanks for sharing Love is On a Roll. That's a beautiful song. Have I sent you my YouTube channel? It's Marian Drake42 channel. I recommend the meow meow meow song, Constitution March, Katie Bar the Door, and Waitin' for a Train.

I'm not sure when I will get back to my efforts to upload the two galiardos from your instructions. I'll be very busy most days for a couple of weeks. I might try again this Sunday,though. My computer guy is coming out on May 17 and May 19. I might have him give it a try. He's not a musician, but he said he'd try.