Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTube

Default How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTube

I have a You Tube channel. Marian Drake42 channel. I also have two piano recordings I made years ago that are in Windows Media Player. I want to upload those to my YouTube channel. How do I do that? Anyone have any ideas? The recordings are not on video, so another issue is how do I post a picture of John Bull on each one?

Thanks for any response, and I'd love to see your YouTube videos if you post your channel here.

Default Re: How do I put 2 recordings from Windows Media Player to YouTub

I'm not an expert, but if you have a PC, you can load the recording into (free download) Windows Movie maker and add the image, then export/ upload to YouTube from there.

Similarly if you have a Mac or iPad/iPhone, you can do same with (free bundled) iMovie.

This is an example of a recording I made in 2005 and saved as a Media Player file ( I think), then added images more recently in Movie Maker and then uploaded to my YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/hxQKO8rFz50
    Bren

Hi Bren, and thanks for your reply.

I can't find anything about Windows Movie Maker. I find Windows Media Player, but the directions don't work, as I don't have some of the links. I already have VLC Media Player. Any other suggestions?

I like your Australian video music! Nice playing. Is that a metal mandolin that shows up sometimes?

I suggest you “save” the two recordings to your computer hard drive. Then upload to YouTube using the YouTube prompts.

Two YouTube Channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRK...zQClhFTW5FJR6w

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfb...EkzeSZdNu9q9lg

Simplest way may be to do a screen recording of the player, it will record it as a vid. Upload the vid to YT then add the thumbnail in YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    Hi Bren, and thanks for your reply.

I can't find anything about Windows Movie Maker. I find Windows Media Player, but the directions don't work, as I don't have some of the links. I already have VLC Media Player. Any other suggestions?

I like your Australian video music! Nice playing. Is that a metal mandolin that shows up sometimes?
    If you want to add images to an existing sound file, I think you need a video editor.
    It will depend on what device you are using, but for a Windows PC, here is a Microsoft's free download link for Movie Maker:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mo...ot:overviewtab

Thanks for the comments on my video.

Yes, I'm using a resophonic metal mandolin throughout, adding a banjo in the second song and a normal wood mandolin in the third song.

What I did was collect images that I wanted to use, saved in a separate folder, and then loaded images into Movie Maker and adjusted the duration of each until they matched the length of the sound file.
    I tried to make the images either contemporary with the era of the song's release, or indicative of the places named in the songs, and slipped in some images of the instruments I used and the recording machine.

I really had no idea of what I was doing but found it easy enough to blunder through with Movie Maker.
    Bren

Thanks for the interesting stories, Bren. I'm glad you could "blunder through" the process. I can't do that. And thanks to others for suggesting to Save my music files. I can't save them. I don't know how to do that in either VLC Media Player or Windows Media Player.

You do not need to download or purchase software to make a video if you have Windows 10. It has an existing program which is poorly named "Photos." I do not have movie making software. But I can make a video, add pictures, and add audio using "Photos." And the output is an mp4 file that you can directly upload to YouTube. I have made several videos using this software, an mp3 file of my audio, and pictures of the Irish countryside. Here is a good instructional video.

https://youtu.be/TIfB6UDdq4o

Quote Originally Posted by 22_frets View Post
    You do not need to download or purchase software to make a video if you have Windows 10. It has an existing program which is poorly named "Photos."
    Exactly. One can go into "Camera" on Windows 10 and record a video. The computer microphone, however, isn't very high quality so I use a usb microphone. I recorded three videos with my trio, but one has to set the volume to 100 on the computer in order to hear the video's audio in youtube.

I am looking into buying a usb box for inputting audio from the keyboard, bass, mandolin (Schertler), and vocal, which would improve the audio immensely. But that wouldn't get me a video so I am considering other options as a result.

I think windows movie maker is not loaded by default but should be able to load it for free from Microsoft?, but there are also some free video editors out there, they are very limited but if you just want to put an image up with music behind it they can do that.
    to make a you tube video even just a still image with sound you need video editing software, if you just upload the audio with no video you get that awful cassette tape image
    I use Corel Video studio, not free but I think it was under $100, and has a lot of features and functions.
    I used movivi, but thought Corel was better for less money.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Many appreciations of all the folks who wrote about this, but nobody has told me how to select the files from Windows Media Player. I click on the recording in WMP and it just starts to play. I don't know what the file extension is, or anything. I would follow some of your advice if I could copy the file from WMP.

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    I have a You Tube channel. Marian Drake42 channel. I also have two piano recordings I made years ago that are in Windows Media Player. I want to upload those to my YouTube channel. How do I do that? Anyone have any ideas? The recordings are not on video, so another issue is how do I post a picture of John Bull on each one?

Thanks for any response, and I'd love to see your YouTube videos if you post your channel here.

The files are typically not “in” media player- they are “in” a directory on your hard drive and they are located in a directory your windows media player defaults to when “looking” for files. Sometimes that’s in a system folder called “Music”, or it could be in a folder under “documents” or “my documents” called “my music” or “music”. If you click on “organize” and then “manage libraries” and “music” from WMP it should show you “music library locations”; if you navigate to the listed location using File Explorer you should find files there for your recordings, likely in .wav or .mp3 or .mp4 format. Most likely the location will be something like C:\Users\yourname\Music.

Hello, NDO. Thanks for this specific information. I'll see if I can find my files. I have named them Galiardo. Do you think I could find it with a search that way? I'll try, anyway.

I found my files named Galiardos. They are .mp3 files, but VLC player can't open them. And I can't copy them, either.

I searched This PC for c://photos and got no results. I also searched This PC for one of my piano files, and got no results there, either. Here's the file name under VLC Player, which can't play or copy it: Marians%20Piano%20performances/John%20Bull%20Galiardo%20II.MP3
    Last edited by stringalong; Apr-17-2021 at 6:43pm.

Essentially you want to make a slide show with one slide, the length of which is as long as your sound file.
    This is how Ms movie-maker thinks.

Older versions of movie-maker had "fit to sound file" feature, the newer version does not. Best of Luck

Here's my example: https://youtu.be/ThtJcDOuLqk

If you have found your files now, Stringalong, and they are in mp3 format, you can download a free program called VSDC Free Video Editor. They have a version you can pay for, but for your purposes the free one will work fine. You load your mp3 into the editor then add a picture and stretch it to fit the length of your mp3, as has been mentioned above. I am unsure why your mp3 does not play in VLC. I have version 3.0.12 and it plays mp3s. Maybe you need to download a codec that lets you play those files? Someone more knowledgeable will maybe add a comment here.

Here is a link to a tune I uploaded to my channel back in February of this year using VSDC (I do not usually use this program but was wanting to do a quick upload from my laptop rather than using the PC with the video-editing software I usually use). I had taken a series of photos at a local reservoir to go with the tune and was in a hurry to see how they looked! What you see and hear was all done using VSDC.

The Marino Waltz by John Sheahan. https://youtu.be/8RP1NO1sgts

I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

John, your waltz is so beautiful, and the photos are, too. Thank you for the information about the editing program VSCD. I downloaded it, but I can't find a way to paste in my file mp3 name or URL. Where do I paste it in there? In Description?

You need to find the folder in which your mp3 is stored on your computer, Stringalong, and also the folder with your picture(s) in it.
    Open VSDC Then from the Start Project Now screen which comes up select "Blank Project" from the toolbar. Five headings along from the top left of your screen you will see the tab Editor. Click on this to bring up a second toolbar just below this one and you will see to the right of Run Wizard a green circle with a white cross called Add object. Click on this and it brings up a submenu with Audio and Video near the bottom of this submenu. Clicking on the Audio one will bring up another screen which allows you to find your audio (mp3) file by navigating to the relevant folder and highlighting the file; if you click on this file it will be imported to the project. Next, go through this same process but this time when you reach the Add Object stage click on the Image option on the submenu. The screen which opens will let you select your picture(s). By adding the audio file first you can see how much you will need to stretch the image files to fill the space taken by the mp3 along the timeline. There is also the option to import video rather than (or as well as) image on this submenu.

Hope this might help,and glad you enjoyed The Marino Waltz.

ADDENDUM: Have just spotted your note above where you give the VLC File name for your file, and this may well be part of where your problem lies in the file's not playing in VLC. The "%20" URL encode represents a space, and I think that spaces are not recognized in file names, but I may very well be wrong - I am not in any way a computer coding person. Someone with the knowledge can maybe give us an answer to this, please?
    Last edited by John Kelly; Apr-18-2021 at 12:04pm. Reason: additional info
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

19. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

John, I am so grateful to you for working to hard to help me! I have a Talent Show I host today at 1:00, by the way. Do you want to be in my Zoom talent show? If so, please send me your email address in a private message and I'll send you a Zoom invitation. I host the talent show every Sunday from 1-3 p.m. Pacific Time.

Many thanks, Stringalong, and very kind of you to offer. I am not going to be near my computer at the time you mention this evening - I believe it is 8 hours time difference between PST and my time (BST) in Scotland. Hope all goes well for you.

22. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

John, I created Project 1 with my audio file and a picture of John Bull, and saved it. Now, how do I export it to Marian Drake42 channel in YouTube? I click on Export/YouTube and nothing happens.

Also, YouTube doesn't take mp3 files, and my files are mp3. I click on Convert, and can't open the Project 1 that I made. Any suggestions now?
    Last edited by stringalong; Apr-18-2021 at 1:30pm. Reason: More questions

Hi, Marian (I just realised your name was here all the time). Here is a link to a very short but clear YouTube video on how to upload your VSDC project to YT. It has to be converted from the project format to a suitable one for YT. The video takes you through it step by step much more clearly than I could do in just words written here. Hope this finally gives you success in your endeavours and I look forward to seeing the new posting when you have it done.

There are lots of good tuition videos on using VSDC - you can access them with a simple search just using the VSDC name - I found this link by searching for "How to upload VSDC project to YouTube" https://youtu.be/Y013ydFopew

Hi John, thanks for the link. VSDC sent me the same link. It goes so fast I cannot possibly follow it. I'm giving up, or else I will re-record my piano music using my cell phone on the old recording from Windows Media Player. I know I can do it that way, but not sure what image to use.

Marian/Stringalong

Marian, do not despair! Just use the Pause function on YouTube video as you play it. Let each instruction come up then pause the video, write down or otherwise note the instruction, then go to the next part and get it down and so on to the end of the video.

I was on Chat with Microsoft this morning. The chat woman suggested I get the original CD and put the two piano pieces into VLC Media Player. I was able to do that. They are .cda files. They also do not Play in VLC Media Player. I need to know how to convert them to mp4 files so I can put them into my YouTube channel. Any suggestions? And again, thanks to all of you who have so far contributed to this thread to try to help me. I think I've made progress, because now they are in VLC Media Player, and I know the names and file extensions. They are Track 1 and Track 2, which isn't really so great because a lot of my files in Windows Media Player are Track 1, Track 2, .....Track 17....etc.