Thread: Bowl back identification

Default Bowl back identification

A friend from Amsterdam found an old bowlback mandolin in his grandfather’s house. Any thoughts on what it is?

Default Re: Bowl back identification

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/21/01/AB2802C3-B1D6-480C-B483-4A584AC0DFB1/IMG_9405.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Wilson View Post
    A friend from Amsterdam found an old bowlback mandolin in his grandfather’s house. Any thoughts on what it is?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9405.JPEG 
Views:	75 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	193647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.JPEG 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	193648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9402.JPEG 
Views:	76 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	193649

Sadly, the photos are a bit small to examine the finer points that might give clues to who, what where and when? It is very colourful- and is that flower a "tulip from Amsterdam?" I guess not but it was worth asking! I suppose, it will either end up being identified as German, Czech or Italian in origin. It is colourful enough to something like a Catania Carmelo of Sicily, although that firm was good at gluing in labels.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I think Nick is on it with the Sicilian suggestion: the multiple courses of top edge banding (which I enjoy) the free form floral pick guard, headstock profile, beefy bridge and carved wooden sleeve guard.
    I'm tempted as well to think post war to early '50s, but we've seen some of these design flourishes from the late '30s, too.
    I don't think it is that old, though.
    A lot of shops in Catania, but the heavy bombing there took it's toll.
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Question for the bowl-back experts: how common were the alternating-woods (maple/mahogany, maple/rosewood) staves, such as this one has, on European mandolins? I've seen quite a few American turn-of-the-20th-century instruments with them; I have an 1890's Washburn mandola made that way. Did the European makers stop using them in the early 20th century, as seems true in the US?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I am agreement with the sage folks above that it is quite possible that this mandolin was built in Catania, Sicily. So far, the only feature I could match in my files is the headstock shape which is only somewhat similar to one built by S. Sgroi Mancuso in Catania. The rest of the mandolin I have in my files is simpler and IMHO more tasteful than the OP's friend's. However other features generally fall into the Catanian aesthetic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	193679
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Jim, that double lobed headstock is pretty common on Catanese mandolins. I wouldn't feel comfortable making an attribution based on that detail alone.

"Simpler....and more tasteful" isn't going to get one very far with Sicilian mandolins.

Like the wine, the food, the language, the mandolins are a bit more effusive.

A silly dragon and a War-of-the-Worlds headstock just aren't enough.

Allen....I think this mandolin is from later than when the US builders abandoned the bi-color bowl scheme, perhaps in response the "taterbug" slander from Gibson, et al.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post: