Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubner tuners on Eastman MD305?

Default Re: Rubner tuners on Eastman MD305?

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Burning it in a lined fry pan . (or solid fuel booster section gaskets on the challenger space shuttle)

Cant be healthy .. Passive just sitting there, or suspended in Triflow chain oil Not ingested.. less of an issue ..
    First off, those Space Shuttle gaskets (O-rings) that failed during the infamous Challenger launch were made from something called FKM, which is a polymeric fluroelastomer. This is not the same chemical compound as PTFE (Teflon), which is a lubricant found in Tri-Flow. Incidentally, those Space Shuttle gaskets were surrounded by a special flame-proof putty that contained asbestos (which is carcinogenic). When the O-ring gaskets burned through, the resulting explosion of the rocket fuel is what blew up the shuttle. The fluorocarbons found in the O-rings and the asbestos in the putty never posed a health hazard in-and-of themselves during the disaster, of course.

Second, the melting point of Teflon is a whopping 621 F. It is not easy to melt this coating in a frying pan unless you leave the pan empty over the highest possible heat for quite a while. And even if you manage to melt it, it won't "burn," as you said. To get Teflon to depolymerize, you need temperatures above 1,000F! If you have "burned" Teflon in a pan, the chances are pretty good that it was actually the pan contents that burned, not the Teflon. Or perhaps the pan itself, or its handle.

Third, Teflon at room temperature, such as the material used in Tri-Flow lubricant, is almost entirely chemically inert, and it does not out-gas. It is not carcinogenic! Nor does it give off carcinogenic fumes, even when heated to the point where wood would start to burn.

Let's not forget that wood dust from many species of wood can be directly toxic when inhaled, and most wood dust is carcinogenic, regardless of the species. Luthiers and carpenters, who are exposed to wood dust in their work, need to be concerned about this. But should you be worried about getting cancer from the wood in your mandolin? Of course not! Playing the mandolin does not expose your lungs to significant quantities of wood dust.

Similarly, lubricating your tuners does not expose you to significant quantities of carcinogenic organic compounds, like those found in all petroleum-based household lubricants, nor does it expose you to significant quantities of Teflon, either, if you happen to use Tri-Flow. The vapor pressure of these lubricants is simply too low to pose a breathing hazard. Besides, as we have seen, Teflon is not even carcinogenic in the first place.

A little chemistry knowledge beats a lot of social media disinformation!
    Last edited by sblock; Apr-22-2021 at 9:40pm.

For the lay-person, Mark Ruffalo stars in a major motion picture Dark Waters from 2019 playing a lawyer with 20 years of research against DuPont in rural West Virginia where they make Teflon and dump by products into the local river causing cancer in people, death and mutation in hundreds of cows, causing Teflon to be taken off the market.

AGREED, there is a difference between drinking chemicals and using it as a lube on tuners.

For Pete's sake, my father's favorite solvent was gasoline, which he used for everything from cleaning bicycle chains, to removing paint, cleaning paint brushes, heck, he even washed his hands in it to remove grease........worked great for 50+ years, oh yeah, he died of cancer..........caused by, who knows? He was an accountant and worked in an office building......so?

3. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    For the lay-person, Mark Ruffalo stars in a major motion picture Dark Waters from 2019 playing a lawyer with 20 years of research against DuPont in rural West Virginia where they make Teflon and dump by products into the local river causing cancer in people, death and mutation in hundreds of cows, causing Teflon to be taken off the market.

AGREED, there is a difference between drinking chemicals and using it as a lube on tuners.

For Pete's sake, my father's favorite solvent was gasoline, which he used for everything from cleaning bicycle chains, to removing paint, cleaning paint brushes, heck, he even washed his hands in it to remove grease........worked great for 50+ years, oh yeah, he died of cancer..........caused by, who knows? He was an accountant and worked in an office building......so?
    The film Dark Waters retells (with a number of Hollywood embellishments) the true story of a lawsuit against DuPont, for their pollution of a Virginia river with PFOA (perfluoro-octanoic acid), which is something I already mentioned in Post #24. PFOA is carcinogen, and it used to be used in the making of Teflon (but no longer). It also takes fairly high levels of PFOA to cause cancer. PFOA has been banned in any Teflon products since 2013.

But Teflon itself is NOT carcinogenic. And Teflon was never "taken off the market." (That might have been a fictional plot point of the film.) If there was any lapse in production, it was likely to clean up their act to prevent further PFOA pollution. Besides, other manufacturers make PTFE, too. Teflon is made today by a different process: one without PFOA.

Now, breathing in gasoline fumes, which many of us used to do all the time while filling up at gas stations, is today considered hazardous, and there are fume-recovery systems at all gas stations now. Gasoline is a powerful solvent, but it contains all manner of nasty organic compounds. We don't tend to degrease our hands -- or wash paintbrushes -- in it any more, that's for sure.

Teflon is safe. If anything, it's the main ingredients that are found in ALL common, oil-based lubricants (and the propellants, if these come in spray bottles) that pose the greater health hazards -- but only if those lubricants are somehow inhaled or ingested. But no one should be inhaling or ingesting this stuff!
    Last edited by sblock; Apr-22-2021 at 9:42pm.

Previous Schallers were fine. have several A's & a Deluxe F ..

New Grand Tunes look good too . German precision & efficient manufacturing.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Previous Schallers were fine. have several A's & a Deluxe F ..

New Grand Tunes look good too . German precision & efficient manufacturing.
    They do look nice. Also twice the price of Grover 309 tuners. At that point, am not sure they'd be the best choice for the OP.

Thing is, and this has been brought up many times, the stock tuners on the Eastman seem to have a lot more leeway for quality control. Some folks have no problem with them, others, well, not so much. I still think tuner replacement shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. Even on some good mandolins folks run into problems. If new tuners solve it for them, great.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Let me put this in perspective. It's your instrument. You can whatever you want with it. If Rubner's are what you want and you can get them, go for it. Personally I love hot rods.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Let me put this in perspective. It's your instrument. You can whatever you want with it. If Rubner's are what you want and you can get them, go for it. Personally I love hot rods.
    I agree Mike, just save the original gears and switch them out if you end up selling the Eastman. You can re-use the Rubners' on another mandolin.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

OP FOLLOWUP:
    As I sit typing, my MD305 hangs around my neck with a new set of $72 Rubner tuners installed. (The pandemic has been great for my playing, I tilt the cam up a bit, mute the mic and nobody knows I am running scales during the endless zoom meetings.) As someone posted, I had to counter-bore, (in my case, I gently used a reamer) and drill an additional screw hole per side. I kept the original bushings in place. Little did I know this would spark a digression into movie references and carcinogen debates.

All that aside, I quite like the Rubner's, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kt-va For This Useful Post:

Very cool.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

300-series is the bottom of the - Eastman - line, which is clearly delineated from 300s to 900s. We all understand it’s a good quality instrument and much beloved by many owners. They don’t make any junk. When I got my 505 in 2009 or so, the 500s were the bottom of the Eastman line, the 300s and 400s were introduced a few years later because prices were going up, as the brand got more established and they needed to introduce some more budget-minded options and didnt want to do it by cheapening the features of their existing lines. A rather honourable and transparent way to do business, imho.
    BTW from experience with the 505 (which has the same Ping tuners as the 305) I would suggest the Grover 309s, they fit perfectly, you dont even have to change the bushings, and you will like the difference in tunability. Cheers.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post

NFI in either product.

Kinda makes ya wonder what Gibson used 120 years ago? I'm guessing 3-in-1 oil or the equivalent......

a minor pet peeve of mine, thankfully stopped just short of a rant.
    Anything short of a rant from you is a disappointment to me, Jeff. Please get yer high gudgeon on, soon.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

16. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Anything short of a rant from you is a disappointment to me, Jeff. Please get yer high gudgeon on, soon.
    Thanks, Bill! Just having fun and cheap therapy for me. Obviously, just as there are many styles of great music and players, there can be more than one correct answer to these questions. And, as long as we are arguing concepts and approaches to solving problems, there is no need for anyone to take this stuff personally or too seriously. (unlike other "musical" forums where 4-letter words are normal responses -- who wants to deal with that?)

All joking aside, there are some world-class mandolin experts on the Cafe daily and it is a rare day that I don't learn something from someone. I hope I can add to the discussion points, as well as add some humor, when appropriate.

I ordered Rubner tuners for my Eastman MDO305 right after I got it because the stock tuners are where it shows its cheapness. I love the ones I put on my Hora Irish Bouzouki.

Eastman's "bottom of the line" is still a pretty good instrument for the price. I put $80 Rubner tuners on my $200 Hora Irish Bouzouki and I did not regret it for a second. They are such a joy to use that I am more likely to play it and more likely to play it in tune. So I get more out of owning it. I'm doing the same for my Eastman octave mandolin. What is the proper mandolin price to tuner price ratio? I don't care. Less trouble tuning means more enjoyable practice and better quality practice. It's worth it.

20. The following members say thank you to Mitch_M for this post:

robw95 

Resurrecting an old thread here but this, I’m sure, is relevant to the OP.
    A few months ago I bought an Eastman MDO-305 octave mandolin (my first mandolin of any kind) and I immediately learned that the factory tuners leave everything to be desired. They are so bad that graphite didn’t help. I’ve replaced them with Rubner tuners and the difference is wonderful. It was necessary to fill the screw holes because the Rubner holes don’t line up with the factory holes and the Rubner screws are tiny compared to factory.

I had ordered Grover 309s but they were not available. After I ordered the Rubners from a different shop I got a message from the first one that 309 have been replaced by 409.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

I may well be mistaken, but I had come to believe that the 309 was the version for A style mandos with the tuner button shafts of equal length, while 409 was the F style version with the shafts of varying length.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here but this, I’m sure, is relevant to the OP.
    A few months ago I bought an Eastman MDO-305 octave mandolin (my first mandolin of any kind) and I immediately learned that the factory tuners leave everything to be desired. They are so bad that graphite didn’t help. I’ve replaced them with Rubner tuners and the difference is wonderful. It was necessary to fill the screw holes because the Rubner holes don’t line up with the factory holes and the Rubner screws are tiny compared to factory.

I had ordered Grover 309s but they were not available. After I ordered the Rubners from a different shop I got a message from the first one that 309 have been replaced by 409.
    I, too, replaced the OEM tuners on my MDO305 with Rubners. Plain nickel with plastic buttons but they work great where it counts and they were $79.

For budget minded folks, there are also some generic Chinese tuners available under various names that are way better than the OE ones and cost about $35-$40.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cadger View Post
    I may well be mistaken, but I had come to believe that the 309 was the version for A style mandos with the tuner button shafts of equal length, while 409 was the F style version with the shafts of varying length.
    In fact, I'm almost certain I was mistaken...

The main problem with the stock Eastman tuners isn't that they're necessarily bad...it's just that they're only a 14:1 ratio. The Grover 309 tuners that Stewmac used to sell were 18:1, a vast improvement at a reasonable price, and were pretty much drop-in. Unfortunately, they no longer seem to exist, and the replacement Grover 409 sets are listed as "no longer available".

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post
    The main problem with the stock Eastman tuners isn't that they're necessarily bad...it's just that they're only a 14:1 ratio. The Grover 309 tuners that Stewmac used to sell were 18:1, a vast improvement at a reasonable price, and were pretty much drop-in. Unfortunately, they no longer seem to exist, and the replacement Grover 409 sets are listed as "no longer available".
    The ratio is IMO red herring.
    If you take old Gibson tuners with 14:1 ratio and post diameter reduced to 5.5mm or slightly less where the string is attached and schaller 16:1 tuner with post 5.8mm but there is just short "waist" and if you wind the string several times around the post it will actually be some 6mm at the spot where string leaves the post the real action of the tuner will be nearly identical to the 14:1 tuner.
    18:1 would give some advantage but not really much.
    I just have old cheap guitar on bench and the tuners after removal of strings are so loose that the posts and shafts are rattling but under tension they work flawlessly because there is no undue tension/friction in mounting holes and gears and string pulls the gear teeth nicely together for smooth operation.
    Adrian

Question Re: Rubner tuners on Eastman MD305?

BITD Harmony got a 24:1 machine made , trouble was the round gear size was not increased , from those of 14:1

so thin high frequency pitch teeth broke off..

Making the round gear a bigger diameter , to achieve that ratio, would have let the teeth be a more durable thickness.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Adrian Minarovic

Making the round gear a bigger diameter , to achieve that ratio, would have let the teeth be a more durable thickness.
    But the weight of the machnes would go up significantly. I'd take lighter machines with 14:1 ratio over heavy machines any day.
    Years ago I was really fighting the bug of making my own machines because I really hated the look of Schallers and Gotohs and wanted something simple looking similar to vintage machines. I ordered some from Alessi but I'm quite comfortable with the Golden age machines now. I've used dozen or so without problems and got another dozen recently and checked them all and they are all OK. After some gear polishing and lubing they will work great...
    Adrian

I contacted Grover a couple of weeks ago regarding the 409 series tuners since StewMac says they're unavailable, and nearly everyone else is either out of stock or charging way more than list price for them. They replied the next day that they are still available and not being discontinued, but supply chain issues have made them scarce. They expect to get caught up early next year. My current tuners should last a while longer in the meantime. Although my Golden Gate tuners are iffy at best.

I wish I could find the great deals on Rubner tuners. I can't seem to find f-style tuners for less than $300, and A-style is at least $110. Maybe someone has a link to the cheaper ones others have found. Of course inflation may have made those prices a thing of the past for now.

I'm curious how the Golden Age and Kluson tuners compare to the Grovers for sub-$1000 mandolins?

With so much now dependent on Taiwan sources . it's not surprising..

You holding high expectation on the tuners changing the sound?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture