Thread: Mandolin Orange Changed Their Name!

Default Mandolin Orange Changed Their Name!

It's now "Watchhouse".....

Dearest Friends:

We’re very excited to share some foundational news today—our band is now called Watchhouse. It’s a new name to carry this music you know as Mandolin Orange into the future. We’d love to tell you a little more about it, and share our new video and song, Better Way.

Listen to Better Way
    Watchhouse comes from a memory—a place where I spent memorable, secluded, and meditative time as a teenager. During those same years I learned how music wasn’t just something that happened. It’s a place, it’s gravity (Strawberry Fields was the song that did it). It was an escape, and I began spending all my time there. I wrote song after song, and found someone to share it with when I met Emily.

This past year has been the first time we’ve stayed still since we were 21, and the pause gave us the opportunity to sit with ourselves and set intentions. We have long been burdened by the dichotomy between our band name and the music we strive to create—if you’ve heard the songs, you know they are personal. Now that we can see a future where music is a shared experience again, we're defining the space we share with you on a stage or in your headphones, and making it one that welcomes our creativity and anyone who wants to listen.

We are lucky that Mandolin Orange means something to many people, and have no intention of leaving behind our older material. It’s as important to us as ever, and we can’t wait to bring it back to your ears as Watchhouse, alongside a brand new album that we're particularly fond of (news soon!). Thank you for hearing our music—we owe something to anyone still reading this and can’t wait to continue this journey with you.

With love and gratitude,
    Andrew & Emily/Watchhouse
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Orange Changed Their Name!

But ... but ... but ...

As the only band of national stature with the term "Mandolin" in its title - and appearing first, as it should be - it's sad to see that slip away.

But it's not up to anyone but yourselves, and I'm sure it was a long, difficult, well-considered decision. Best of everything in this new chapter!

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I got back on my MO listening a few weeks back and for two weeks that’s all I listened to. I really need to get my mandolin out and work on everything Andrew and Emily does.

I get it--the name change, and that's cool by me. And woah, that new song/video is a trip!

Z

ps--Is that a Sullivan A he's playing? I know he had one at one time.
    Member since 2003!

That guy playing mandolin

Awesome music by any other name would sound just as sweet.
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.

Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
    I get it--the name change, and that's cool by me. And woah, that new song/video is a trip!

Z

ps--Is that a Sullivan A he's playing? I know he had one at one time.
    I think it's his Nugget
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

7. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

I think the sullivan now belongs to a cafe member... a other than Andrew Marlin.

9. The following members say thank you to MarkusSpiel for this post:

So, my question now is.....do I keep my Mandolin Orange records filed under "M" and any future Watchhouse albums under "W"?
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Cataloguing can be tricky. I keep my Young Rascals and Rascals together under Y because that's how they started. I keep my Beatles under B but solo Beatles under each former Beatles' name. Fortunately, Cream and Clapton are close, but separate. In this case, watch for a stylistic change, and act accordingly if need be. Or flip a coin.

I have some friends up in CT who changed their band name every time they put out a new CD. They seemed to think they were different every time. Made following their career very tricky. Personally, I liked Circa 88 just fine, though ya gotta admit, Go Van Gogh is a great name. I have no idea how they're catalogued, because they're in deep storage.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    So, my question now is.....do I keep my Mandolin Orange records filed under "M" and any future Watchhouse albums under "W"?
    Keep them together and turn the Watchhouse releases upside down.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southern Man For This Useful Post:

haha now that's funny...there's lots of MO fans worldwide, players and non-players, some don't care, others hate the name change. We'll see if their music changes to a new direction. I would have liked to have seen a fans vote by MO as The Young Rascals did a fans vote via album postcard on changing their name to simply "Rascals"...

What would have happened if the Beatles changed their name to "The Dirt Clods" after releasing a bunch of Beatles albums

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Keep them together and turn the Watchhouse releases upside down.
    That's sharp!

Z
    Member since 2003!