Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

Blog Entries

Default Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

News of interest for those that listen to Mandolin Orange. They've changed the band name to Watchhouse. Here's a new video around that and then the text of their email making the announcement. Some nice mandolin in the video.

Dearest Friends:

We’re very excited to share some foundational news today—our band is now called Watchhouse. It’s a new name to carry this music you know as Mandolin Orange into the future. We’d love to tell you a little more about it, and share our new video and song, Better Way.

Watchhouse comes from a memory—a place where I spent memorable, secluded, and meditative time as a teenager. During those same years I learned how music wasn’t just something that happened. It’s a place, it’s gravity (Strawberry Fields was the song that did it). It was an escape, and I began spending all my time there. I wrote song after song, and found someone to share it with when I met Emily.

This past year has been the first time we’ve stayed still since we were 21, and the pause gave us the opportunity to sit with ourselves and set intentions. We have long been burdened by the dichotomy between our band name and the music we strive to create—if you’ve heard the songs, you know they are personal. Now that we can see a future where music is a shared experience again, we're defining the space we share with you on a stage or in your headphones, and making it one that welcomes our creativity and anyone who wants to listen.

We are lucky that Mandolin Orange means something to many people, and have no intention of leaving behind our older material. It’s as important to us as ever, and we can’t wait to bring it back to your ears as Watchhouse, alongside a brand new album that we're particularly fond of (news soon!). Thank you for hearing our music—we owe something to anyone still reading this and can’t wait to continue this journey with you.

With love and gratitude,
    Andrew & Emily/Watchhouse

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

Default Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

Dang, that's good music!
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

4. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

There is not a mandolin but their video of Boots Of Spanish Leather is one that I keep watching and enjoying. Thanks for the news.

Turns out the mandolin was in their name so here is a link
    Last edited by MrMoe; Apr-21-2021 at 5:53pm.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I love your music, whatever you call yourselves! I was surprised but watching this video tells me that you are broadening your genre to reach a more diverse audience. Good for you! The explanation in your letter and your video made this new name come alive for me. I am so excited to get your new album! Congratulations on your opportunity to get back out there on the road! I last saw you in San Luis Obispo and it was a wonderful show!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

That guy playing mandolin

I loved Mandolin Orange, and I love Watchhouse now. Their songs are just so darn soulful!
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.

9. The following members say thank you to Reywas for this post:

well, that was just excellent!
    these two just get better and better
    d

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    There is not a mandolin but their video of Boots Of Spanish Leather is one that I keep watching and enjoying. Thanks for the news.

Turns out the mandolin was in their name so here is a link
    me too, one of my all time favorites

11. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I’m sad to see them change the name on account of mandolins and the color orange are two of my favorite things. I thought the name was brilliant and unique. Watch house as a band name is kind of “meh” if you ask me.

I just had a notion to start in on the Mandolin Orange craze by buying a CD or two. Any recommendations with which one(s) to begin the journey?
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

Their album "Such jubilee" is very good

15. The following members say thank you to Steven_bxl for this post:

When Prince changed his name to a un-pronounceable symbol it required disc jockeys and members of the press to use six words to describe him instead of just one -- the artist formerly known as Prince -- resulting in more discussion, FWIW.

The name Watchhouse obviously contains meaning for Andrew, which he tries to explain.

I, too, liked the name Mandolin Orange, despite being a corny, awkward pun it manages to use the word "mandolin" in the title, which I think is useful in attracting the right audience for the music. It also shows a sense of humor, which is a good thing, IMHO.

Also, it fits into that category of "almost rhymes" that is, mandolin and, ahem, mandarin, FWIW. Actually, a mis-pronunciation, so? Anyway, it is implied. Something like the songwriter of "Little Green Apples" Bobby Russell manages to oddly almost rhyme Little Green Apples with the city Indianapolis in the 60's hit song by OC Smith.

At this point, probably over-thinking it.....

Best of luck to the band and their new name. Keep making great music

I dunno, I never was a Prince fan so his name change meant nothing to me. I'll be keeping their playlist I have as "Mandolin Orange"...the song is ok but it won't be going into my MO playlist. And that's ok. I'm just not one of the diversified if that's the direction headed and I love many genres of music. I'll just have to see in their future recordings, I'll either like or not but everything Andrew and Emily have done up to this point has been phenomenal.

MO was headed in one helluva direction and I'd be more than happy to stay right there with them on that road and never turn...
    Last edited by CBFrench; Apr-22-2021 at 4:49pm.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBFrench For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_bxl View Post
    Their album "Such jubilee" is very good
    Agree that's a good place to start. If you like that one, you can work your way toward now (Blindfaller, Tides Of A Teardrop) where there's more mandolin, or go the other way (This Side Of Jordan, Haste Make/Hard-Hearted Stranger, Quiet Little Room) for less mando and more fiddle. The songwriting is consistently superb.

If you just want to hear Andrew shred, go to YouTube, which has a gazillion vids of MO.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

20. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

I would never begrudge any artist to evolve as they will. Sometimes that happens slowly, sometimes it's in big jumps (Elvis Costello comes to mind).

The new song is interesting; I'm curious to see where they go from here. I will always support their efforts, as I truly believe it's a product of the kind of genuine folks that they are. No one can ask anything more of an artist: that they remain true to themselves and create as their muse provides.

Having said that, I do hope they don't travel too far from their roots - it's what drew me to them in the first place. MO has held a privileged place in my own musical journey, and I would hate for Watchhouse to become just another band that I listen to once in a while.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mandolin Orange
    This Side Of Jordan

Mandolin Orange
    Haste Makes Waste

MaNdOlIn oRaNgE
    tIdEs oF a tEaRdRoP

while lIsTeNInG to my mo pLaYlIsT

Hey
    Stranger

23. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Also, it fits into that category of "almost rhymes" that is, mandolin and, ahem, mandarin, FWIW.
    My money says that is the underlying reason for the name change.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I've liked everything they've done so far. And Andrew is a phenomenal mandolin player. But that video? A big meh from me.....

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I've liked everything they've done so far. And Andrew is a phenomenal mandolin player. But that video? A big meh from me.....
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    I’m sad to see them change the name on account of mandolins and the color orange are two of my favorite things. I thought the name was brilliant and unique. Watch house as a band name is kind of “meh” if you ask me.
    Right on, cannot agree more. The Mandolin Orange name has a certain something organic and unique going for it not to mention an established name recognition factor which is invaluable, and now it's going to be replaced by, Watchhouse? It's like that special, wonderful mandolin you once owned and now you're sorry you sold it.

Blog Entries

They have such a unique ability to sing tight harmony and both Andrew and Emily are excellent musicians. I think this will boost them to an even higher plain. I too loved the niche name, too, though. It made them heroes of the mandolin world, for many of us. Their songwriting is excellent and this indie rock feel of this video is just another form that their songs can take. It won’t keep them from the BG festivals! I like the A5 back in the picture, also!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I didn't really watch the video, but definitely like the song. I love their old material and they are always progressive for the folk scene. This is pushing the boundary of their style and I like where they are pushing. Excited to see what else comes out of this album. Since Andrew has his more instrumental and kind of Traditional projects going on, maybe this opens up his horizons for the possibility of the artist formally known as MO. I can handle the mental shift for the name.

31. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

If that's their new sound, I am not in the target audience. I barely made it a minute into the video.

33. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Does anyone know anything about the "looks like a Martin met a can of black spray paint" guitar?
    I like the video and sound. It reminds us of our adult kids work. Our kids are their piers

Well, whatever the band name is Andrew and Emily haven't lost any talent. I'm so happy they are still creating and I'm looking forward to hearing more, I've missed seeing them live.

36. The following members say thank you to Martin Matthews for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the "looks like a Martin met a can of black spray paint" guitar?
    I like the video and sound. It reminds us of our adult kids work. Our kids are their piers
    If it's the same guitar I believe there is an interview available where Andrew talks about building it and not getting the finish right.

I'm divided on this whole issue because my motivations are selfish. I would not hold anyone back but I'm part of the niche of fans that like the current genre, and not too crazy about this new song/style. Further, I would not have even found the band several years ago if they hadn't popped up on a search engine for "mandolin". I wish them success as I imagine it is hard for any musician to make a living these days.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The search engine point is a valid one, as that is indeed how fans find music and musicians. Also, brand recognition, which has been built up over the years, is a major consideration. On the other hand, the new name is something the artist feels deeply about. It's almost as if there's a divide between the wishes of the artist vs the audience. Whose wishes are more important? I would be on the artist's side if I liked the new name more. But I feel, as has been mentioned before, it's a bit generic-sounding. Mandolin Orange has some zazz, to go with history, brand recognition, and search capability. Good thing it's not up to me, or anyone else.

It seems to me that, generally speaking, a name change mid-career just throws people. When The Supremes changed to Diana Ross And The Supremes, it seemed odd - a sort of "why bother?" response was widespread, along with a suspicion there was some ego-tripping. I went through something like this myself once, a few years back, when I was in a band called The Real Malloys. First, the leader changed his stage name from Rob Sweet to Rob Ernest - kind of a backwards direction, IYAM. Seems there was someone else with that name on the mainland, where he did some solo gigs, and wanted to dispel confusion, so he changed his name, Ernest being his middle name. Then he changed the name of the band to Rob Ernest & The Real Malloys. Again, a backwards direction, IMO -that's quite a mouthful. And let's not ignore the implication of ego-tripping. The bass player and I felt relegated to lower status, sidemen supporting the titular star. Weird. In less than a year we were replaced, the new lineup went kerphlooey, and Rob left town. I'm sure there were other factors involved, but it all seemed so weird.

I'm not sure what is to be learned from that example. I think it's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" advice. But again, it's not up to us.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!