Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

Default Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

[QUOTE=Jeff Mando;1820673]When Prince changed his name to a un-pronounceable symbol it required disc jockeys and members of the press to use six words to describe him instead of just one -- the artist formerly known as Prince -- resulting in more discussion, FWIW.

Prince changed his name to the symbol to put out some material outside of a lousy agreement with a record company. Don't think it had anything to do with needing to generate discussion for business.

Z
    Member since 2003!

2. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    It's almost as if there's a divide between the wishes of the artist vs the audience. Whose wishes are more important? I would be on the artist's side if I liked the new name more. But I feel, as has been mentioned before, it's a bit generic-sounding. Mandolin Orange has some zazz, to go with history, brand recognition, and search capability. Good thing it's not up to me, or anyone else.
    So from the...24 previous responses, you've come to the conclusion that it's either "the bands wishes" or the "audience"? For what it's worth with this huge sample size, they aren't pissing off much of their fan base seeing how there's 12 positive responses to either the bands new direction or the new song, and 8 negative responses.
    Let's not go overboard here.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I've liked everything they've done so far. And Andrew is a phenomenal mandolin player. But that video? A big meh from me.....
    I think that video is really good--they way the designs move through representing the words/themes in the song. It's not what I expected, but maybe that's why I like it as much as I do. Or that I grew up in an arcade in 80s...

Z
    Member since 2003!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    So from the...24 previous responses, you've come to the conclusion that it's either "the bands wishes" or the "audience"? For what it's worth with this huge sample size, they aren't pissing off much of their fan base seeing how there's 12 positive responses to either the bands new direction or the new song, and 8 negative responses.
    Yes? 12 positive, 8 negative, in 20 of 24 responses - seems divided to me. And yes, that's my interpretation. So?

I didn't. In fact, I took great pains to present a carefully considered, measured response.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    If it's the same guitar I believe there is an interview available where Andrew talks about building it and not getting the finish right.

I'm divided on this whole issue because my motivations are selfish. I would not hold anyone back but I'm part of the niche of fans that like the current genre, and not too crazy about this new song/style. Further, I would not have even found the band several years ago if they hadn't popped up on a search engine for "mandolin". I wish them success as I imagine it is hard for any musician to make a living these days.
    I may have got this wrong depending on which guitar you are referring to. I definitely remember the story of the self-built guitar and the problem with the finish, but I can't find it anywhere. I did find this story, however, showcasing their Pre-War Guitar: https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2...re-war-guitars
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

My only concern is how will I ask Alexa to play music by them considering there are two band names.

:-)

8. The following members say thank you to jim19 for this post:

And the Beatles might still have been the Quarrymen.

I have to admit though, I don't much like the name. It sounds too much like Washhouse, conjuring up images of a laundry or worse, a bathroom.
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    And the Beatles might still have been the Quarrymen.
    Yes, indeed. Or Johnny And The Moondogs, or The Silver Beatles, and there might have been another previous name. I thought of that earlier, casting about for examples. There's also The Warlocks, who probably did better as Grateful Dead. And Conway Twitty surely fared better than Harold Jenkins would have. Or so he believed.

But these considerations don't amount to much before the time when a band or performer has reached a certain amount of fame. Might have been different had The Quarrymen had a hit.* Changing a name when one has a following can be tricky. That's why I used The Young Rascals as an example - they had hits by both names. But at least the term "Rascals" was included, helping name recognition. I think that explains the transformation of Johnny Cougar => John Cougar Mellencamp => John Mellencamp. One doesn't want to lose fans in the process.

* If anyone remembers the fictionalized account of The Fab Four's early days, The Quarreymen recorded a single, "That'll Be the Day" B/w "In Spite of All the Danger", an original credited to McCartney/Harrison. It was never released, let alone a hit.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Thanks for posting that, jb! Great song, IMHO, especially the use of harmony.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=gspiess;1820751]If it's the same guitar I believe there is an interview available where Andrew talks about building it and not getting the finish right.

Thank you! That is a story I will be looking foward to. I like them more and more

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Talk about not going overboard.

Your response..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

This is one I watch over and over. Great cover and enjoy watching the bass player "floating" over there.

I looked at this yesterday, didn’t comment, came back and looked again. I guess I’m just generally puzzled over the rationale for rebranding. I admire their music and body of recording and video work enormously. A change of that magnitude, which will inevitably lead to complications with fans and would-be fans looking for them, or not listening to a tune because it’s by this “other” artist, seems like it would have a compelling argument for happening. Though not necessarily. But one would think. I was involved in a brand name change once (not a band) that was the result of a spurious lawsuit. Ten years later, I still prefer the original name, and the (ludicrous) threat is passed, but going back to the original now probably would lose a chunk of market. Would “Collings” become “Lark” or something else? Probably not. So, in sum, I’m puzzled. I guess, flip side, the change might generate some buzz. Obviously they can do what they want and I wish them luck. But I’m a puzzled fan.
    Ellis A5 Tradition, Red Diamond F5, Duff F5, D35, Gliga violin.
    http://www.michaelromkey.com
    http://www.bucktownrevue.com

I feel like Andrew and Emily are pretty smart and intuitive and I am guessing they have a pretty good team working with them. I would guess this was well thought out and they weighed the many factors discussed in this thread. While I assume the mandolin world is important to them (especially Andrew), I am guessing their biggest concern was not losing folks that were upset "Mandolin" was no longer a part of their name.

19. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JimIrsik View Post

This is one I watch over and over. Great cover and enjoy watching the bass player "floating" over there.
    I love it. There is such ease in everyones part. The C & C Drums are made Missouri, which I also love.

It's interesting how things like band names, headstock shapes, colors on instruments, etc, etc, hit people differently. Years ago when I first saw the name 'Mandolin Orange,' I thought it was possibly the worst band name I'd ever heard. (Not trying to be harsh but just showing how it looked to my eye and sounded to my ear.) It sounded corny to the point to where I almost didn't even listen to the music a first time. That would have been a loss on my part because they are obviously very talented.

All said, I love the new name and think it a good move (most people don't even know what a mandolin is, after all). Everyone who is already a fan won't have any trouble finding them, and they will likely get a lot more fans with a cooler-looking/sounding name. I wish them well.

22. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I think that band names that incorporate a color make the name a bit more memorable. Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Mandolin Orange all come to mind right away. When I named my trio, I went with a color as kind of a gimmick. Gimmicks do work in drawing initial attention; after that there had better be talent to get people to come back.

I understand the artists' explanation for the new name having a personal connection, but it sounds pretty generic to me.

Anyway, it won't increase or decrease my listening to them due to the name change. It is what it is. They produce some pretty cool tunes and songs.

Nice trippy video. I’ve been a fan of theirs for years. Been planning to pick up Andrew’s two instrumental albums he released during the pandemic. Love their playing.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Great musical bravery guys. Congrats for following your hearts. Love your music..

26. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

So, does this mean the old name is up for grabs?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

29. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

The folk scene in the triangle has been a bit avant garde since I first took notice. Frankly us old folks have been in to the band more than our kids. The new look and sound fits well for me. We will continue to enloy Mandolin Orange and look foward to Watchhouse.

31. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

I'm a longtime fan of Mandolin Orange, and always found the name of the band a bit whimsical and it just rolls so trippingly off the tongue...

Watchhouse... not so much...

And the new song is ok, but not really that memorable to me...I also turned 18 in the Summer Of Love, so the trippy, spacey video effects don't do so much for me these days...

That being said, any artist has the right to stay true to their vision and I wish them all the best in the future...I just hope they don't stray too far from the qualities that drew my ear from the beginning...

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny B For This Useful Post:

Also a long time fan and after more deep thought on the name change, the name Mandolin Orange is basically a pun for Mandarin Orange, the fruit, and back in the day before they were famous it was a cool name and fun and all and they were probably excited about it, but now it's time for a more serious name with a deeper meaning and musical direction. I change my vote to YES, it's a good name for a fresh start. Let's see what the new name brings.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post: