Thread: Shipping Calton Mandolin Case

Default Shipping Calton Mandolin Case

I need to find a sturdy box that is a good size for shipping a mandolin in a Calton case. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Shipping Calton Mandolin Case

Get a guitar box and cut it down.

If you go to a store where they sell appliances you can obtain an oversized box, and make it into a shipping box. I have done this a few times. The appliance boxes are pretty sturdy.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

It's easy. Just visit the classifieds, buy another mandolin, and have it shipped to you. You'll have the box you need in a few days.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scott L For This Useful Post:

Thanks Shaun. I've got a guitar box I could cut down but I'm a bit nervous about how a damages claim would be treated if the box was cut down. I had a UPS guy warn me that they are picky about boxes that have been cut down.

Rich

This is a tough one.

Unfortunately for us, they just don't seem to make cartons the right size that are easy to come by. You have a few options. (1) Find a music store in your area and ask them if they have any lightly used cartons that they can give or sell you. This might well be possible in Seattle. (2) Ship your case it in an oversize box with lots of packing (this can wind up costing quite a bit more, since many shippers go by L+W+H as a size metric). Places like UPS are only too happy to do that! (3) Get an oversize carton, say 30" x 16" x 16", from an outfit like UPS, and cut it down to a more appropriate size.

You do can a pretty acceptable job of resizing a box with a yardstick/straightedge, some mylar packaging tape, and sharp utility knife. But the job is a lot easier if you have a tool like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Box-Resizer-Cardboard-Cutting-Reducer/dp/B0882TZ892/

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

You might try Uline. They have guitar boxes but not sure about mandolin sized. Unfortunately you may have to purchase more than one.

https://www.uline.com/BL_7906/Guitar-Boxes

You could also search Reverb. I've seen some vendors sell unused instrument boxes.

American Music, Guitar Center, maybe Dusty Strings or Trading Musician ... somebody can fix you up with a box.

Cutting the top off a guitar box, lightly scoring it and making some new flaps doesn't compromise its structural integrity. Other ways of cutting down a box might. The Calton will do a lot of the work for you, but the headstock needs to be immobilized within the Calton and the Calton needs to be immobilized within the box.

There's always the "dumpster dive behind the department store" approach, which is how I got started. I have enough boxes coming and going that I rarely need to do that any more, but it's a viable way to obtain quality cardboard.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

FWIW, the local "big" music store saved their boxes for me and would leave them on the loading dock. I'd fill up my cargo van and drive off, often not unloading until the next morning. More than once I noticed the smell of cat urine "fermenting" overnight inside the van the next morning, which was not noticeable when the boxes were outside on the dock. Anyway, I love to recycle, but something to be aware of.

Years ago I shipped a Loar (as in Lloyd not The) case to a guy in Atlanta. I packed it inside a plastic storage box (like the under bed storage sold at Target and Walmart) suspended in Styrofoam inside a cardboard box I cut down. I took pictures of the packing process so that in the event that there was a claim from the shipper I had my bases covered.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here my source of cardboard box material is the Bicycle Shop .. Big panels ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The mandolin store recently shipped me a Calton case in the perfect sized box.
    (Not too giant)

Calton (guitar) cases were originally shipped in a paper “blanket” which was filled with either straw or wood chips. We are, however talking about 1976 and Keith offered me a discount if I returned the packaging to him. This I duly did at the Cambridge Folk Festival so it was new Calton case and the likes of Steve Goodman and John Hartford for the weekend and I picked up my first half decent mandolin the week after I got back. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be!
    Last edited by Ray(T); Apr-23-2021 at 3:14am.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Here my source of cardboard box material is the Bicycle Shop .. Big panels ..
    Same for me. There is one right in my town. I usually only need their boxes when shipping guitars. I think Calton cases are probably deeper than other standard mandolin cases so in that case I would also check a store that sells lamps and lighting. their boxes might be deeper even squarish in cross-section.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

By coincidence, I happened to see this bit of information on frets.com about cutting a large guitar shipping box down mandolin size. http://frets.com/FretsPages/General/.../cutboxes.html

Most "box stores" (shipping and boxing stores) will sell cardboard flat sheets in the 4 foot square or larger sizes and you can simply make your own box to exactly fit. If you want, make it double layer by making and sealing the inside box with the case in it, then custom make an outer box. Hard to imagine that a carrier would be able to claim that was defective in any way. Cardboard flat sheets are way cheaper than buying an already made box and no kitty whiz smell!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

A violin in its case is being shipped to me (in Arizona, an hour from Phoenix) from Iowa. The seller took the violin in its case to UPS and had them package it for shipping. The cost for packaging and shipping was $85. It seems to me that while the cost seems crazy, it should make for bulletproof claims, should any damage occur. Considering the value of the case alone, it might be worth the cost to you.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich White View Post
    Thanks Shaun. I've got a guitar box I could cut down but I'm a bit nervous about how a damages claim would be treated if the box was cut down. I had a UPS guy warn me that they are picky about boxes that have been cut down.

Rich
    Go to a FedEX hub if UPS is making unreasonable demands about the condition of your box ..and do what Shaun said, take a good guitar case and cut down a few inches.

I have had luck finding the right sized boxes at the local band instrument store. I have scored boxes that were used to ship saxophones, trumpets, trombones, violas and various types of drums.

As an aside, I have also cut down many guitar boxes and used them to ship mandolins made by Givens, Carlson, Heiden and Gibson... no insurance claims ever.