Thread: Question about Vega Fairbanks Mandolin Banjo

Default Question about Vega Fairbanks Mandolin Banjo

Hello.

New member here, and while I already did some searching for this in the forums, I couldn't find much.

I recently received from my family a Vega Fairbanks Mandolin Banjo. It's in a sorry state of disrepair, but nothing structural seems wrong. Would someone here know about how old it is, and what I'd be looking at in terms of getting it playable again?

It's open-back, and the cross-brace says Vega "Fairbanks Banjo", No. 9, Style X, The serial number is #39341. I'm guessing c.1919?

The head, tailpiece, and maybe bridge (I have the original) need to be replaced, as do several missing hooks. The neck needs to be cleaned and the machine heads gone over. The body and neck appear to be intact. Beyond that, I have no idea what else it would take.

TIA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3643.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	573.5 KB 
ID:	193766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3645.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	193767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3646.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	933.0 KB 
ID:	193768  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3650.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	193769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3651.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	193770  

Default Re: Question about Vega Fairbanks Mandolin Banjo

Some more pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3653.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	193771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3654.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	193772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3655.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	193773  

Mr Peabody,

You have a very desirable Vega Style X Mandolin Banjo, the serial number indicates manufacture in 1918 according to the latest serial number research. It was Vega’s top-of-the-line Mandolin Banjo and contains their best tone ring, dubbed “Tubaphone”. Although Mandolin Banjos are much maligned by modern players the one you have is truly the exception. Most other Mandolin Banjos are poorly made and horrible sounding affairs. When yours is properly restored and in the hands of a competent player it will fit right into a Ragtime ensemble and can be used for keeping a crisp rhythm in an Old Time jam. Forget it for Bluegrass use, you’ll likely not be welcome in those circles.

As for restoration I would contact banjo expert Bob Smakula in Elkins WV. http://www.smakula.com/
    He will be capable of replacing the missing hooks and parts, resetting the neck if needed, and making it playable again.

Here is a page from the Vega catalog that describes your instrument.
    Can you share any of the family history of the banjo?

Name:	1810D2A8-EE32-4998-B1D1-CB0C430B613A.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	838.7 KB 
ID:	193774

Mark
    Mark Lynch

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkELynch For This Useful Post:

Wow! Thanks very much Mark! I could tell this wasn’t an average piece but this info helps a lot.

The ad you posted mentions a gold-plated tailpiece. Is that something a restorer or luthier would commonly have, or a reasonable facsimile?

The instrument was one of a pair of mandolins owned by my late grandfather, who emigrated to Boston from Poland in 1921. The other mandolin is a traditional Strad-o-lin, probably from the 1930s-40s. He and my grandmother were performers at the time in the Yiddish theater scene in Boston. He played 4 or 5 instruments, all self-taught. This Vega would likely have been used in those productions for Yiddish, Russian and Polish music.

Thanks again!

Also, is there a hardshell case that would fit this particular instrument? The original case is basically destroyed, and a new one is necessary if I'm going to be moving it around for repairs.

Thanks

Teacher, repair person

You might have to improvise for a case, perhaps find a tenor banjo case and move the accessory compartment to accommodate the peg head.
    I notice that in addition to any missing hooks and nuts, you appear to missing a shoe, which is the piece that attaches the hook to the banjo rim. Bob Smakula usually has a few in stock.
    As far as the tailpiece is concerned, Vega may have used several versions over the years, and they all may be hard to find. You might have to settle for something that works rather than something that is "period correct." You can check with Bob about that also.

8. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

To my knowledge there are no modern mandolin banjo cases. I’ve been fortunate to buy some original orphaned cases. MB’s are ripe fodder for conversions into the more popular Regular or 5-String banjo. The pots are harvested and a new neck is attached which leaves behind the MB neck and the case. Most Vega MB’s have a 10-1/8” pot but your Style X is usually larger, either 10-3/4” or 10-15/16” (measured across the skin diameter), this means that finding the larger case is more difficult but not impossible. The smaller Vega MB with the 10-1/8” pot will fit into a shaped F style mandolin case. Restoration of your original case might be another option.

The Style X Mandolin Banjo was available with 8-strings like yours and also with 4-strings, both had the larger pot and Tubaphone tonering. The 4-string was made in very small numbers based on surviving examples. The 4-string version has a shorter violin length string scale at 13” and was intended for a playing the lead or melody in the band and as a doubling instrument for a violinist. The 8-string version has the usual 13-7/8” mandolin scale length.

Name:	D4797275-C3A1-40BC-8F46-EEE6AD285C7E.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	193784

Here are a couple of photos of the 4-string Vega X in my collection. It is particularly well suited to playing lead in a ragtime setting.

Notice the modern Hennig compensated bridge. As with a regular mandolin a compensated bridge is very important so that it plays in tune. Many restorers use a regular banjo bridge but this is a poor practice because unlike a regular banjo you can’t just slant the bridge to adjust the compensation. Mandolin string gauges prevent this. Elderly may still sell Hennig bridges or buy direct from a Hennig.

Name:	1F88BF45-E991-4095-A7D3-020D9400F236.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	990.0 KB 
ID:	193782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0403171E-71A1-4A4F-A168-4294FF6840C7.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	193783
    Mark Lynch

10. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    To my knowledge there are no modern mandolin banjo cases...
    Gold Tone makes mandolin banjos and ukulele banjos in Asia, and also sells cases and gig bags for them.

Here's their "case" page. Gold Tone instruments generally have resonators, so the cases may be large for open-back instruments. However, as discussed above, yours may have a larger-than-usual diameter, so could be a decent, if "loose," fit. You might try corresponding with Gold Tone to determine how the interior dimensions of their cases compare with your instrument.

Good luck!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks Allen,

The diameter of mine seems to be about 10-3/4". So it definitely doesn't fit into a standard case. But I'll get in touch with them and see what would fit. Mine is open-back... and HEAVY for a mandolin. Unfortunately, the original case is water-damaged and the curved bottom is basically smashed. Beyond help.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Gold Tone makes mandolin banjos and ukulele banjos in Asia, and also sells cases and gig bags for them.

Here's their "case" page. Gold Tone instruments generally have resonators, so the cases may be large for open-back instruments. However, as discussed above, yours may have a larger-than-usual diameter, so could be a decent, if "loose," fit. You might try corresponding with Gold Tone to determine how the interior dimensions of their cases compare with your instrument.

Good luck!

14. The following members say thank you to MrPeabody for this post:

Mr. Peabody,
    I’m going to send this to a Vega Fairbanks banjo friend, he is very wise in many things (most) Vega. Maybe he will chime in, I know he is in contact with Mr. Smackula so my bet between the two you should be able to get this sorted and back in the music making arena!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

16. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Goldtone must make one, mine is in a nice heavy duty Goldtone gig bag.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

18. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Much obliged Timbofood! I'm hoping to get a suitable case from Gold Tone and be able to ship it to him if all works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Mr. Peabody,
    I’m going to send this to a Vega Fairbanks banjo friend, he is very wise in many things (most) Vega. Maybe he will chime in, I know he is in contact with Mr. Smackula so my bet between the two you should be able to get this sorted and back in the music making arena!
    - - - Updated - - -

Sending for info as we speak. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Goldtone must make one, mine is in a nice heavy duty Goldtone gig bag.

Just had a return message from my friend, he concurred with the “See Mr. Smakula” opinion.
    And he’s the most informed guy on that kind of thing I know so..
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

21. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Mr Peabody,

Yes, this is why I recommended Bob Smakula in posting #3, he is The Expert on anything banjo related, Bob is expecting to hear from you.

Did you notice the Vega Style X currently for sale in the Cafe Classifieds?

Name:	D45E2EF6-CC35-4E77-8918-A496430A4A3F.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	193814

On the case, since it is part of the family history of this instrument you might think about having it restored or at the very least locating a period correct case. Bob might even have one.

Check out Steve Kirtley’s case repair webpage. http://www.stevekirtley.org/caserepair.htm

I looked through the GoldTone link posted above, which case did you think was suitable? I didn’t see a good fit.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

23. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

No luck with Gold Tone. I thought their HPBMB bag for their Mandolin banjo would fit, but they say they don't really have anything that does. Just an oversized banjo case to fit the body.

Reaching out to Mr. Smakula next. Thanks to all for your help.

25. The following members say thank you to MrPeabody for this post:

I've had good luck with eBay over the years, if you are patient and don't mind checking every week for a couple years -- amazing vintage stuff does show up from time to time.

If you need one in a hurry for shipping, probably best to get a new banjo case and stick some foam in the empty end.

27. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Jeff has some great suggestions! I looked for about a year on EBay and finally found a case for my Vega X which has an 10-15/16” pot. More cases were made for the more common Vega MB’s with the 10-1/8” pot (Styles K, Little Wonder, L, and S) than the larger pots typically on the Style X’s but if you look long enough, as Jeff suggests, eventually one will show up. You might find an oversized MB case intended for a later model with a resonator. Here is the case I found on ebay. I also posted a want ad on www.Banjohangout.org with this dimensioned photo.

Name:	47729B0F-01F3-42F0-A147-E1DD22DF5A76.jpeg 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	193816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D777E38C-92AF-44BE-BAA0-D3423C3BEAF0.jpeg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	193817

Also, the Hennig compensated bridge I mentioned earlier.

Name:	94152357-06DF-4247-B705-32CDEE6EF74F.jpeg 
Size:	671.4 KB 
ID:	193818

Mark
    Last edited by MarkELynch; Apr-26-2021 at 5:02pm.
    Mark Lynch

29. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Thanks again Mark. The resonator case idea looks good and if there's that little of a difference in clearance, I can work with that.

I have the original bridge, but I don't know how usable it is.

Name:	IMG-3657.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	193820

The main problem with this mandolin is the head by the tailpiece area. It's come away. You can also see the case damage a bit.

Name:	IMG-3666.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	476.6 KB 
ID:	193821

Now just waiting to hear back from several people. This is all new territory for me, as I'm a guitar player. I do have a Fender FM-53S SB, but I don't imagine it's taken very seriously around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    Jeff has some great suggestions! I looked for about a year on EBay and finally found a case for my Vega X which has an 10-15/16” pot. More cases were made for the more common Vega MB’s with the 10-1/8” pot (Styles K, Little Wonder, L, and S) than the larger pots typically on the Style X’s but if you look long enough, as Jeff suggests, eventually one will show up. You might find an oversized MB case intended for a later model with a resonator. Here is the case I found on ebay. I also posted a want ad on www.Banjohangout.org with this dimensioned photo.

Name:	47729B0F-01F3-42F0-A147-E1DD22DF5A76.jpeg 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	193816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D777E38C-92AF-44BE-BAA0-D3423C3BEAF0.jpeg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	193817

Also, the Hennig compensated bridge I mentioned earlier.

Name:	94152357-06DF-4247-B705-32CDEE6EF74F.jpeg 
Size:	671.4 KB 
ID:	193818

Mark

The original tailpiece would have been engraved and gold plated (or silver) to match the engraved tuner cover on the back of the peghead. Finding a suitable old replacement tailpiece shouldn’t be too difficult but it is less likely you will find an engraved gold plated one from a Style X Vega. There is some variation in the engraving and plating on the several I’ve owned or seen, here are some photos of one of them.

Name:	BCE1DFAA-7E27-4B17-8A14-D30311377649.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	193823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0B92803-EE1E-48E9-A2FA-9FE428BDCCED.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	524.0 KB 
ID:	193824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECD7C22A-D6E3-42C5-A1DF-2A991EAEBD5C.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	568.3 KB 
ID:	193825

Another style that will fit but this one is not from a Style X.

Name:	C620C144-3888-4E24-A9D0-4419D49FF365.jpeg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	193822

Hey, where did this come from?

Name:	93621CD1-7920-4329-AF15-07975042EDA0.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	193826

Mark
    Mark Lynch

32. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
    ...The main problem with this mandolin is the head by the tailpiece area. It's come away....
    You'll need a new head, for sure. (Banjo head, that is!) If you're going to be dealing with Smakula, he has an amazing variety of such in stock, generally.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: