Thread: Finally, an in person lesson!!

Default Finally, an in person lesson!!

I started (sort of) on this mandolin trip around this time last year, with nothing but an idea I wanted to play an instrument. With a decade of bagpipes under my belt, I figured I could handle something smaller and easier to play, as I retired from the pipes a couple years ago.
    Joined here, got some knowledge, bought an Eastman, and, through tips from members here, and simply poking around, found some quality youtube channels to follow.
    Unfortunately, work last year really got in the way, so I wasnt able to progress as I wanted, and kind of put it down until last November or so. Then, I started again, with no personal instruction.
    I managed to find an instructor here in MA who was doing video only learning. I gave that a shot, and, after a few lessons, figured I am NOT a distance learner. Its just not my thing.
    Well, this past week, I happened upon a local musician who is within a half hour drive of me, and was taking on in studio students.
    I did my first lesson today. And, it felt GOOD. We went over tuning (which I know about, having been the designated tuner for our pipe band), proper finger position (which I am working on-being a lefty is a little challenging for the instructor, but my mind translates automatically, so we got over that), which I SERIOUSLY need to work on, reading music-which was a lot easier than I thought it would be (pipe music is different-and most pipe tunes I learned by ear), and my instructor was pleasantly surprised (as was I!!), and started on my first tune, The Wind That Shakes the Barley (an excellent movie as well). Played it through sight reading and listening, and did both melody and rhythm parts. I was choppy (expected), and got lost a few times, but my instructor was impressed. I paid for 10 lessons up front, as a gesture of commitment. He told me that what he saw last night, was what he normally sees at about lesson 5 or so. To me, that felt real good. I guess I did pick up a few things messing around the past year, and, as much as I didnt think it would matter, a decade of piping gave me at least something to stand there with.
    Some good points:
    Sight reading is ok, but needs improvement (time signatures I have difficulty with unless I first hear the tune)
    Tuning is understood, and I can hear it when it is off (holdover from piping I am sure)
    Proper posture (I did this unconsciously, so I was happy to hear that)
    I can play on the beat and understand rhythm (again, piping)
    Some working points:
    Understanding time signature in relation to the music
    Finger positions (I guess this would be proper left hand technique, but for me, my right hand)
    Proper right (for me, left) hand position
    playing through BOTH strings (something I wasnt even aware I had to do, but makes sense to me now that it was pointed out)
    Playing through an entire part, without stopping and starting over when I make a mistake (this is a habit of mine held over from piping-we would play a part over and over again, until it was right. If you made a mistake, you stopped, started over, and repeated the repetitions until done correctly)
    Learning the fret board (this is going to be my largest hurdle I feel)

My takeaway:
    I learned so much in an hour, that I feel I progressed more tonight than I have since I started. Getting proper feedback while in a studio, in person, really pushed me to work on stuff. Having a solid plan to work towards-something where I am accountable to someone else-also helps me structure my practice time. My goals for this week are getting more familiar with the fret board, and working the first half of the tune to where I can play it musically, if not at the tempo its meant to be played at.

Anyway, I wanted to share this experience here. I have learned a lot from senior members here, and feel blessed to have started this journey. There is still a lot to learn (pretty much, everything I suppose), but I feel like I FINALLY got a toe in the door, and, from there, I can simply work to get that door wide open!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldier181 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Finally, an in person lesson!!

oldsoldier181 there was post on a social media platform - "the best thing a musician can do is play with people who are better players than themselves" I couldn't agree more and posted that for me, finding people who play better than I do is fairly easy!

there was another quote of someone asking virtuoso cellist Pablo Casals why he continued to practice daily at age 80, his response was "I think I'm seeing signs of improvement"

not to exhaust a phrase but playing music is a journey and the happiness and energy and life that you create out of music keeps this old world turning.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

As one who takes in-person lessons, but who has taken a few Zoom lessons, in-person is best by leaps and bounds - at least for me. Fretboard Learn is a great app I encourage you to try.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

oldsoldier181, you're in MA? This makes me feel hopeful, NH can't be too far behind. Just the opportunity to see the whole person and their instrument in front of you and ask questions in real time just sounds so incredibly helpful.

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    As one who takes in-person lessons, but who has taken a few Zoom lessons, in-person is best by leaps and bounds - at least for me. Fretboard Learn is a great app I encourage you to try.
    Thank you. I am going to look that up, as I feel that will be my biggest hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    oldsoldier181, you're in MA? This makes me feel hopeful, NH can't be too far behind. Just the opportunity to see the whole person and their instrument in front of you and ask questions in real time just sounds so incredibly helpful.
    I am. I take lessons from a man in Hudson MA. I dont know how far into NH you are, but if you are interested, send me a message and I can put you in touch with him. Right now his schedule is wide open-its me and one younger learner playing classical guitar.

With the mask mandate lifted in NH, I would think that instructors would be chomping at the bit to get students back in.