Thread: Being pick-y

Default Being pick-y

I have spent way too much time and money trying to find a less expensive pick that I like, and ended up paying way too much, only to end up buying one of the pricey picks. DOH!

I have never posted a picture here, I’m going to try to post a pic of all of my picks that I have acquired the last few months.

Yesterday, I got a Gravity Gold pick and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Wish I would have just started this way.... I’m sure many share a similar story though.

I believe the Gravity Gold is PEEK. I get a 1.5mm Tripp, which has three different corner shapes, giving 3 different tones in one pick! Still may try a Casein one day, but if not that, I’ll be using PEEk for sure... this is awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	381012EE-674A-4B01-AD52-48AE734EA9BE.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	790.7 KB 
ID:	193786  

Default Re: Being pick-y

I’d post all my picks, but there’s a size limitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	4EE6EB24-F5EC-4865-A66E-D4EA76A9CC3B.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	841.6 KB 
ID:	193789
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I say go for it and have fun! Still cheaper than most addictions, IMHO.

Congratulations on finding a pick you love!

Feel free to send me those Golden Gate clown barf picks

Blog Entries

I have settled on about four picks for folkie playing: Wegen 1F 140, Primetone 1.4, Blue Chip TAD60, Red Bear C-HVY with speed bevel.

And two picks for classical playing Pickboy mandolin pick about .75 mm, Fender thin in a 358 shape, Dogol 2.

Those are what I use. I have several others I have acquired and don't really like all that much but had to try. I am not going to list them. Also I have some straight ahead guitar picks that I don't like for mandolin but are ok for my tenor guitar and my regular parlor guitar. The most interesting is a Dugain horn pick, which guitars well but is useless for mandolin.

Oh and I have what is left of my initial purchase of four gross Fender mediums, my first pick and also my give aways.

And on my piano I have a ceramic jar of picks that have been left on my carpet after a jam. Who knows what is in there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Lol, love those clown barfs! To look at anyway. Banjo Ben has them in stock...

8. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

Every pick in the picture is unique, so I am going to hold on to them as a “sampler”

May have a Primetone or two that I could pass along. I’ll probably start a new thread when I can figure out the duplicates....

I was mainly just pickin on you, pun intended. I've got a couple of clown barf picks and do love them to "play" with.

Speaking of picks--does anyone know what the status is of the Pick Samplers? A while back I think I read that they were going to start circulating again, but it's been crickets since then. I'd like to try them all out again (I have some new instruments since the last time I got to try them).

Elderly has an insane selection, i guesstimate about 350-400 models

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...ice-descending
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I went through a period of PAS (Pick Acquisition Syndrome, much cheaper than MAS.) I am keeping them all, as some mandos sound better with different picks, plus I (pre-Covid) used cheaper picks at jams where they might get dropped, or someone would ask to borrow a pick. Left the more expensive picks at home.