Thread: Some help with electronics please

Default Some help with electronics please

I do not have any internet access at home (well, just a small iPhone) I have been bouncing around an idea and I want to see if any of you would have any good ideas for me.

I’m looking into getting a tablet or small personal PC ( I’m looking for inexpensive solution, just bought an expensive mandolin!)
    What I would like to do is have a device that I can download PDF’s onto, as well as QuickTime videos, Strum Machine, and Tabedit. A bonus if it would play dvds as well.

I would be able to download material from another location, and have it all at home. This device would only be used for these things. Do y’all have any affordable ideas for me?

Default Re: Some help with electronics please

Not hugely low cost, but a lesser model iPad with WiFi but no cell service is worth checking. If your iPhone has hotspot capability, you’ll be able to connect if no alternative WiFi network is available. Non cellular iPads are notably less expensive. And since you have iPhone you’ll be familiar with the OS.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I think the WiFi iPad would be a good option.

Ok, just looked at these a little....

Yes, familiar with the OS, that would be good. So I could easily download and have Strum Machine (great app) Adobe PDF reader for ebooks, TEFview, and....

I should be able to do QuickTime videos, right?

If so, this my be my best option. CANT play DVD’s, but might be ok. I do have a small DVD player, just thought about consolidating devices.

Just wondering, is there some other tablet or windows devise that may be a little cheaper, or may work as well? Walmart’s website and others have some inexpensive tablets that play dvds as well... just not familiar with them.

Hard to beat apple though....
    Look forward to hearing some more thoughts, ideas....

Ok, looking for some “tech help” knowing that we have some pretty knowledgeable people here. I am really hoping somebody can help me out.

I bought a wifi iPad, it will be here Friday. I have an iPhone. I live in the sticks, when I am home, I do not have internet, wifi, any of that. I do have a McDonald’s that I can get to and use wifi.

My goal is to load up the iPad with learning material to have and use at home, while offline. I have the material, it’s all pdf’s and QuickTime videos (Brad Laird)
    Most of the material is going to be in a 5GB zip file in my email.
    The rest are pds’s that I already have on my iPhone.

What is going to be the best way for me to get the PDFs from my iPhone to the iPad?
    And what would be the best way to get that zip file on the iPad?

If anybody can help, I would REALLY appreciate it. We can communicate here, or email, or whatever just let me know. Thanks in advance....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    What is going to be the best way for me to get the PDFs from my iPhone to the iPad?
    And what would be the best way to get that zip file on the iPad?.
    At the McDonald's, open your email with your phone and download the zip file. Then, the PDFs and zip can be transferred directly to the tablet using AirDrop, an Apple feature by which the devices talk directly to each other.

While you're at McD's look for Youtube videos showing how to do these things, as they aren't necessarily obvious.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Can't you buy an external DVD drive that would plug into the iPad?

Oh, I don’t know. No idea. I’ll look into that.

Thank you Tom. I’m getting the iPad tomorrow, and will be trying all of this. I’m sure it’ll all work fine...