Thread: Sorensen Sprite!

Default Sorensen Sprite!

Took delivery on a brand new Sorensen Sprite a few weeks ago. Still getting accustomed to it, but damn what a beauty she is!

https://youtu.be/TfEpItVHMBA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unBoxing2.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	193794

Name:	review1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	193795

Name:	review3.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	193796

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danW For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sorensen Sprite!

That is a beauty!

Dave Sheets

What a nice look to that mandolin, all the figured wood and the cream top. Very tasty.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Wow...beauty!

Congratulations! I also own a Sprite (#93) and love the sweetness of the tone. Yours has quite a unique appearance. I've never seen a blonde Sorensen. Interesting inlay in the headstock. What is the meaning of the Chinese character?

Congratulations on joining the Sorensen club. My Sprite keeps getting better and better, or I keep getting better and better at pulling the tone out of it.

Sweeet !

Wow! That is one fine looking instrument - the combination of woods and trim is amazing. It sounds really great in your video - thanks for sharing! I've occasionally lusted after the sprite, but I had the impression the neck is made with a sharp V, which I don't like much. It looks to me like yours has a more rounded shape on the back of the neck - is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Congratulations! I also own a Sprite (#93) and love the sweetness of the tone. Yours has quite a unique appearance. I've never seen a blonde Sorensen. Interesting inlay in the headstock. What is the meaning of the Chinese character?
    pronounced "dan", means to play a stringed instrument - perfect for me

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    Wow! That is one fine looking instrument - the combination of woods and trim is amazing. It sounds really great in your video - thanks for sharing! I've occasionally lusted after the sprite, but I had the impression the neck is made with a sharp V, which I don't like much. It looks to me like yours has a more rounded shape on the back of the neck - is that right?
    basically a C shaped profile (by special request). The V's have always driven me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Congratulations on joining the Sorensen club. My Sprite keeps getting better and better, or I keep getting better and better at pulling the tone out of it.

In the short time I've had it, it's a combination of the two - I keep finding more nuance in the tone, and need to work on getting that into my hands. It loves a light touch, but can take anything I dish out. Between all of that is the magic

Dan, that is a beautiful mandolin. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous.

What can you tell us about the pickguard/finger rest?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Gorgeous.

What can you tell us about the pickguard/finger rest?
    the same material as the rest of the instrument: claro walnut bound by curly maple with perfuling on the top and sides of the piece - the same pattern as the body, neck and headstock. It's attached to the fretboard via a single brass screw on the side. I normally have no use for a pickguard, but in this case it adds significantly to the design and the beauty, so it stays attached, afaic

Resident Hack

Beautiful!
    I do love the twin points
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by danW View Post
    pronounced "dan", means to play a stringed instrument - perfect for me
    I clicked on this thread because I am a fan of the Sorensen Sprite, and that one is a beauty! I also love the Chinese calligraphy on the headstock: very unique and well done.

However, I hate to rain on your parade. The two characters together in that order are a noun and mean "ball; pellet; bullet; bomb". I consulted several of my Chinese-English, English-Chinese dictionaries, and that is what I came up with. The two characters are pronounced "dan" (4th, falling tone). The Chinese use the character "ba" (first, rising tone) to indicate "to pluck" a stringed instrument. That character is: .

But to steal from Shakespeare: a Sorensen by any name still sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal View Post
    I clicked on this thread because I am a fan of the Sorensen Sprite, and that one is a beauty! I also love the Chinese calligraphy on the headstock: very unique and well done.

However, I hate to rain on your parade. The two characters together in that order are a noun and mean "ball; pellet; bullet; bomb". I consulted several of my Chinese-English, English-Chinese dictionaries, and that is what I came up with. The two characters are pronounced "dan" (4th, falling tone). The Chinese use the character "ba" (first, rising tone) to indicate "to pluck" a stringed instrument. That character is: .

But to steal from Shakespeare: a Sorensen by any name still sounds awesome!
    It works in Japanese (who "stole" it from Chinese), which is where I lived at the time and used it as a signature . You are correct, though "pluck" is the proper interpretation. Chinese is Greek to me.

Japanese traditionally use the Hanzi Chinese characters, for perhaps once similar ideas, but not necessarily for the same words now.

As Dan was saying, he has spent quite a bit of time in Japan and liked the idea that the Japanese Kanji symbol for "dan" which can mean to pluck or strike an instrument . . . ironically both fits his name and his passion. The Kanji character is --

Name:	Dans HS v1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	193828

We used a stylized brush stroke version of the characters in some of my last pieces of blue Paua Abalone . . . which is getting harder and harder to find in this quality without worm damage.

Name:	20210402_112822.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	193829

Luckily, I had both Dan's knowledge and my wife's many years of speaking and studying Japanese in college to make sure we got it right.

This was a delightful build indeed.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sorensen View Post
    Japanese traditionally use the Hanzi Chinese characters, for perhaps once similar ideas, but not necessarily for the same words now.

As Dan was saying, he has spent quite a bit of time in Japan and liked the idea that the Japanese Kanji symbol for "dan" which can mean to pluck or strike an instrument . . . ironically both fits his name and his passion. The Kanji character is --

Name:	Dans HS v1.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	193828

Luckily, I had both Dan's knowledge and my wife's many years of speaking and studying Japanese in college to make sure we got it right.

This was a delightful build indeed.

Steve
    And your inlay work was awesome. I studied Chinese calligraphy before moving to China and know how hard it is to get the brush strokes to "breathe" the correct way. Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Here are a few shots to give a better idea of what we cooked up --

Name:	Full Front.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	685.2 KB 
ID:	193899 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guarded front.jpg 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	193900

Name:	Close Back.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	193901 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Close Peg.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	193902

The finish is a oil varnish followed by many French Polishing sessions with Shellac. The claro walnut grain filling was through French Polishing with pumice only.

I realized the top,which is from an Englemann Spruce billet I bought back in 2010, is so creamy, silky, and fine-grained that it almost looks painted. What a treat to have wood like that in the "Library".

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Sorensen; May-02-2021 at 1:20pm.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

23. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Steve, that is officially, my favorite mandolin that you’ve built. You knocked it out of the park brother!

25. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Beautiful instrument!

27. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Sure is a Beauty. The Sprite I played at The Mandolin Store in Surprise AZ a few years back was totally a standout. Big tone and a bold style.

Scott