Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Way to Practice Moveable Chords???

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Re: Best Way to Practice Moveable Chords???

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Sherry, if you want to practice playing along with a human, check out Tyler Grant's slow jam on youtube. He has jams at different speeds, but he's going to tell you the song, key, chords etc. You will learn some cool songs and can practice just playing chords or taking a solo if you want. He is pretty explicit about each song. Here's a recent one:

And here is a list of all of his slow jams he played on Youtube. You can always pause, rewind etc. Come back to the same jam over and over, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...grant+slow+jam
    Enjoy
    Thanks, Josh. This is great! You posted the link in another thread I started. Just hadn't checked it out yet. Taking a solo is also on my wish list. Looks like these slow jams will help there also, as well as helping someone like me to learn/recognize the guitar chords.

So, I've worked a little on playing chords from the circle of 5ths. Are there some of those keys, though, that don't come up in Bluegrass or more traditional music "sit-ins," so I might eliminate those from my practice?

Thanks to everyone for your patience with me. Wish I had more of an aptitude for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    So, I've worked a little on playing chords from the circle of 5ths. Are there some of those keys, though, that don't come up in Bluegrass or more traditional music "sit-ins," so I might eliminate those from my practice?
    If you are certain that you won't "need" those keys, you could focus on the most used key centers. Eventually though someone will call a tune in an odd key.

If you do ever have any desire to play other music than Bluegrass, "more traditional music ", etc. then continue your studies.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Someone will beat me up for asking this, but is there a good reason not to (initially, at least) use solely the D and G style shapes?
    If you use those shapes as moveable chords, that's not a problem.

You need to think of your first finger as a capo, barre all 4 strings, then use fingers 2 and 3 (rather than 1 and 2 ) to make the D and G shape, then you can move those chords anywhere.

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    If you use those shapes as moveable chords, that's not a problem.

You need to think of your first finger as a capo, barre all 4 strings, then use fingers 2 and 3 (rather than 1 and 2 ) to make the D and G shape, then you can move those chords anywhere.
    I don't barre well. Need to work up to it, I realize, but I'd just as soon not start there. There's enough to deal with without the added frustration of barring(sp?).

8. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Sherry, if you want to practice playing along with a human, check out Tyler Grant's slow jam on youtube. He has jams at different speeds, but he's going to tell you the song, key, chords etc. You will learn some cool songs and can practice just playing chords or taking a solo if you want. He is pretty explicit about each song. Here's a recent one:

And here is a list of all of his slow jams he played on Youtube. You can always pause, rewind etc. Come back to the same jam over and over, etc.
    Enjoy
    Yay Tyler great session, I really enjoyed it, thanks!
    (And thanks Josh)

I don't barre well. Need to work up to it, I realize, but I'd just as soon not start there. There's enough to deal with without the added frustration of barring(sp?).
    I get that, and it's best you work up to various technical levels at your own pace.

But I do suggest eventually working on barre chords - which are a lot easier on mandolin than on guitar! - as that is the "secret" to playing anything in any key, as far as chords go, and once you can use your first finger as a moveable nut, you can work out the fingerings for melodies too.

Best of luck, David

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Glad you all are enjoying. Those Tyler Grant videos helped keep me sane over the last year. Those were just the slow jams but he slowly creeps up in speed throughout the course of the night until it gets to warp speed. If you have the means he has a link to donate to his Paypal or Venmo if you want.

13. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Last edited by Simon DS; Apr-28-2021 at 11:49am.

Blog Entries

Just for info. I don't barre at all. All my moveable chord shapes are done with my finger tips.

To me barring is an easy way to understand how to move a chord up the neck, but in practice I find it is harder to do. Especially on a radiused fret board, where getting a good barre around the bend is an effort for me.

So, if I am any kind of example, barring is optional.

Oh, and most of my moveable chords are three note chords, because I am not responsible for every note in the dang chord, especially when there will be a guitar player and or banjo player who will supply that particular note. And nobody has ever come up to me in a jam or performance and said "i see how you cheated, using only three finger chords, I gotcha" it has never happened.

The advantage of three finger chords (three fingers down and an open course not played either the top or bottom course) is that in addition to being moveable up and down the neck they are moveable across the neck, which (don't you love mandolin) happens to be either a fifth or a fourth chord from the one you were on.

One criticism I have heard is that without an open string chopping is harder. I dunno about that. I can chop, but I am just careful which strings I hit.

The moment this cheat technique becomes suboptimal I will let everyone know.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Just for info. I don't barre at all. All my moveable chord shapes are done with my finger tips.

To me barring is an easy way to understand how to move a chord up the neck, but in practice I find it is harder to do. Especially on a radiused fret board, where getting a good barre around the bend is an effort for me.

So, if I am any kind of example, barring is optional.
    My Fischbach mandolin has a wide radiused neck and works well for barre chords, but everyone has their own taste and comfort zone.

My barre comment was made in reference to D and G shapes.

So do you ever use 4 note chords such as Ab? : 1134. (same shape for A, Bb, etc)

Same for Eb: 3113

BTW, 3 note chords work so well for many things, we all use them.

Everyone struggles learning to play two or three notes with one finger. It's part of learning. There are many good reasons why it's considered an essential technique, but suffice to say that it's because it serves such tremendous utility.

It's very difficult at first, and takes time to develop. But it's very well worth the effort!

If one intends to play the mandolin only with others - to provide the essential chord notes - then I suppose that's something. But I wouldn't think this a logical pedagogical approach. I think one would be much better served to acquire the basic skill, difficult as it is at first, that enables so much more!

If we were to canvass a large sample of novice fretted-instrument players to query what one technique enabled advancement, I would lay odds that a common reply would be learning the 'bar' chord form.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Enjoy
    Josh, I checked out the "list" noted above; however, I only see different videos. Am I just missing the names of the songs being played, 'cause I sure don't see them. Do you know if there's an actual "list" somewhere?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If you follow the link to his youtube channel the list is in the description, just click on "show more." Same with all his videos. No time indices, which would help. But easy enough to find each. Figure 5-7 minutes between tunes.

Set List:
    This Train Is Bound For Glory – G
    Crying My Heart Out Over You – G
    Miss McLeod’s Reel – G
    Little Annie - C
    When You Are Lonely – D
    Love Me Darlin’ Just Tonight – A
    Salt Creek – A
    Down The Road – A
    Leavin’ – B
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: