Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing match

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing mat

"Eh"... that's the Canadian key we play in at the jam when the guitarist puts their capo on the second fret when we're done playing in G, right?

I've got an idea, now let's talk about commonly misspelled words and grammatical errors, that's sounds like ALOT of fun TO!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I've got an idea, now let's talk about commonly misspelled words and grammatical errors, that's sounds like ALOT of fun TO!
    For me, the most widespread grammatical nonsense in English is signwritten misplaced apostrophes, e.g. Emission's Testing, Mikes' Mandolins (no reference to any persons living or dead etc...).

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

"Eh"... that's the Canadian key we play in at the jam when the guitarist puts their capo on the second fret when we're done playing in G, right?

Oh, my heart! I think we need to find a different forum for that discussion. Or start a social group for fans of off-topic chats. I keep expecting expulsion for starting this particular, yet delightful, back-and-forth.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It does seem rather like a bit of facebook foolishness that's found its way in here. After all, your question was answered straightaway. Then it's been 50 posts of this, that, and the other thing(s). I'm guilty as anyone, I know, I'm just sayin'. You know? Asking for a friend ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Lagrand View Post
    Oh, my heart! I think we need to find a different forum for that discussion. Or start a social group for fans of off-topic chats. I keep expecting expulsion for starting this particular, yet delightful, back-and-forth.
    It's been fun and harmless. Here is something appropriate from Maria Muldaur and Dan Hicks: Life's too Short to Worry About That.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Lagrand View Post
    Definately

aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

8. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    The correct pronunciation is *man dough lynn* unless you're speaking about more than one.
    " Well, thank goodness few insist on such correctness " to quote the Journeybear.

Ha, well that was a fail. Of course I was fishing for someone to ask, "How is it pronounced when you're speaking about more than one." I certainly don't insist on any sort of correctness, I say man-da-lin like most people do. I lived in Newfoundland until I was thirteen and grew up hearing people say things like, "The wind from the North is cold not matter which way it blows." I'm flexible. Enjoying this thread that lives on the fringes of mandolin content but springs from the minds of mandolin players. Now what was the OP's question?

Blog Entries

Asked and answered, as they say, long ago. But that doesn't mean the conversation is over. Apparently ...

Honestly, I was very surprised to learn that the way it seems "mandolin" is supposed to be pronounced, the way it looks like it would be, judging by its appearance on the printed page, is not the commonly accepted pronunciation. All these years of pronouncing it the way I did, thinking I was being overly casual or even lazy about it, and feeling a little ashamed ... I was actually correct. What a relief!

But just to be clear, I believe "mandola" and "mandocello" would have the "o" sound. I don't want to look it up.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

" Well, thank goodness few insist on such correctness " to quote the Journeybear.

Ha, well that was a fail. Of course I was fishing for someone to ask, "How is it pronounced when you're speaking about more than one." I certainly don't insist on any sort of correctness, I say man-da-lin like most people do. I lived in Newfoundland until I was thirteen and grew up hearing people say things like, "The wind from the North is cold not matter which way it blows." I'm flexible. Enjoying this thread that lives on the fringes of mandolin content but springs from the minds of mandolin players. Now what was the OP's question?
    I lived in St. John's for ten years myself. I not only had a wonderful grand time, but learned many lessons on how to speak English within Canada. (Irritated taxi dispatcher: "Yes, I know you're going to the airport, sir, but where are you to?") And I'm from down east myself so it probably came more easily to me than to someone from central Canada or the west.

Okay, everyone, it's time to get back to our mandolins. Boy, I'm having trouble getting the timing to Albert King's dramatic ending to "Kansas City." I understand it in principle, but...
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post

But just to be clear, I believe "mandola" and "mandocello" would have the "o" sound. I don't want to look it up.
    Mandachella just does not seem right at all. Mandala would be a Buddhist instrument. "What is the sound of one hand fretting?"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

So, how do Italians pronouce 'Mandolin', and why is that word also the name for a cullinary device designed for slicing vegetables thin? I used to play with a guy called Fang (full name, changed by deed poll) who told audiences his mandocello was a 'Latvian Cheesegrater'. I've seen an egg slicer, so that makes sense - but have you ever tried to play an egg slicer (well, there's guys here can play conch)?

It's a quiet day here in Holmbury St Mary, UK - you say you guessed?

Blog Entries

Ummm. A LOT not ALOT, and TOO. not TO.

Sorry.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Oh, no! That was just a tease, a lure ... and you bit on it!

You should of known someone would bite. Alot of mandolin player's are grammer nuts, it seems.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Perhaps. Many favor precision, in many manifestations. Surprised about JeffD, though. He's one of the sharper tools in the shed.

Oh well!

20. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    You should of known someone would bite. Alot of mandolin player's are grammer nuts, it seems.
    Seams. Because, "seems" is for when your sowing, like when your'e fixing a seem in a pare of pants.

And sew glad to sea you did'nt fall for the common grammer misteak of the terribly incorect "should have" instead of the prop'r usage "should of".

An aside... one of my text-message correspondents across town uses "should of" with alarming frequency. She also has some unintentionally comical misspellings for common old-fashioned curse-words, such as when she's complaining about her grandkids or some hapless fellow at the grocery store who inadvertently offended her sensibilities somehow (she's in her 80s and it doesn't take much to offend her). Some of her bizarrely misspelled words follow her around from one phone to another over the years - it seems she's trained her Google account's autocorrect to use her unique and personally-identifiable wrong spelling, which persists even after ditching an old phone and replacing it with a new one that's signed up to that same account.

Of course, I realize language is constantly changing, and at any given point in time, the standard rules can seem arbitrary and illogical. Especially in English, which is such a mis-matched hodgepodge of different languages all sort of stuck together in no consistent pattern, it's hard to remember even half of it. So (like many of us, I suspect), even though I might sometimes *notice* deviations from the formal standards, I don't actually get too worked up about it. Figured I better mention that to avoid (or is that prevent? I can't remember) misunderstandings.

Many favor precision
    That's an excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Of course, I realize language is constantly changing, and at any given point in time, the standard rules can seem arbitrary and illogical.
    For example, when some non-scientific dictionary touts "sporange" as a replacement for (correct Latin-derived) "sporangium"

Then there is the
    Draught/ Draft debate as well
    I’m going back to bed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Ok, here's another real odd one for you guys:

gaol vs. jail

Radically different in appearance, pronounced the same ( in both UK and US. I don't know about Canada )
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; May-06-2021 at 8:57am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Ok, here's another real odd one for you guys:

gaol vs. jail

Radically different in appearance, pronounced the same ( in both UK and US. I don't know about Canada )
    In Canada, we use "jail" -- I'd like to say that it's pronounced as it is in the USA, but that's too much of a generalization. I'll leave that one to the linguists. Mostly our spelling shares commonalities with both Canadian and American spelling, with a few of our own quirks and unique words. We have Canadian English dictionaries, but most computer programs don't allow that option, so we go with either British or American English, and then make -- or don't make -- the corrections. We "organize" like Americans, but have "neighbours" like the British. My Spell Check (British) is telling me that I shouldn't be using the two z's ("zed's, that is) in this paragraph.

Though I make spelling and grammar mistakes, not to mention typos, I was a bit of a stickler on these issues when I marked university papers. I feel that if you're an educated person or a professional writer, you should be aware of basic rules of the language, and only break them consciously and creatively. However, when I'm on this Forum, I consider that other people may have a low education, a learning disability, English as a second language, somewhat different word usage or grammar rules in their country than in mine, or less patience when writing messages. Perhaps they care about other things, such as mandolins and music, far more than they care about writing. On top of that, they didn't ask me to teach them how to write. Therefore, I tend to leave their spelling and grammar alone, unless it's an obvious typo that resulted in a funny message. If I can understand the message, why would I make others self-conscious about their writing? Furthermore, many "rules of English" have changed or seem to be changing during my lifetime ( for example, many people wouldn't use the two apostrophes in the last sentence of the previous paragraph, though I was taught by my mother, who earned and MA in English right after WWII).
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Over the last few years I've gotten accustomed to seeing more typos than before, probably due to people using their phones. This enables a higher level of clumsiness than previously. I can usually suss out what was meant, knowing what letters are proximate on the keypad, and also how spell check insinuates itself. But what I don't understand is how often people fail to edit themselves. Are they really so short on time allotment that they are unwilling to go back and make sure they're saying what they want and/or meant? I value accuracy of communication over the time involved in communicating. After all, what one has written will stay so written forever. It's preferable to take a bit more time to ensure it's accurate. IMO. FWIW. YMMV.

The correct pronunciation is *man dough lynn* unless you're speaking about more than one.
    I do believe it’s ‘man do lin’.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify this
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Believe what you want to believe, but that is actually incorrect.

In the findings I presented earlier gleaned from research, the correct pronunciation is "man da lin." In English, pronunciation does not always run concurrent with spelling; this is one such instance.

That said, I doubt anyone will correct you on your pronunciation out in the real world. And furthermore, I myself pronounce it that way now and then. But the online dictionaries I looked at were in agreement on this: the pronunciation is "man da lin." Or man də lin" orˈ"man də lən." "Man do lin" was not even offered as an alternative pronunciation.

I'm actually a little disappointed, but that's what I've learned and shared with everyone here. I'm not going to disagree with actual linguists. Not this time, over this immensely important word.

Believe what you want to believe, but that is actually incorrect.
    Subtle humor, or attempts thereof, often escapes so many people.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Over the last few years I've gotten accustomed to seeing more typos than before, probably due to people using their phones. This enables a higher level of clumsiness than previously. I can usually suss out what was meant, knowing what letters are proximate on the keypad, and also how spell check insinuates itself. But what I don't understand is how often people fail to edit themselves. Are they really so short on time allotment that they are unwilling to go back and make sure they're saying what they want and/or meant? I value accuracy of communication over the time involved in communicating. After all, what one has written will stay so written forever. It's preferable to take a bit more time to ensure it's accurate. IMO. FWIW. YMMV.
    It goes back before the smart phone. I blame desktop publishing. Instead of hiring pros who are trained in design, proofreading, editing, fact-checking, and other useful skills to produce printed materials, people decided they could do just as good a job on their own. Somehow, some of these geniuses decided Capital Letters and varying fonts were design elements, and the sign of a good design was the number of fonts used in a single piece. Spelling was only as good as the individual producing the document. Same for grammar, syntax, etc. Look at menus from Mom-and-Pop restaurants, or newsletters from volunteer organizations. I'm still laughing about the restaurant that was hawking a salad featuring "dried cram berrys."

As for pronunciation of the name of our favorite chordophone, I've heard it referred to as a "mannalyn" by folks from regions of the US.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post: