Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing match

Default Re: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing mat

Reminds me of "oot and aboot" for out and about. But then, I have too much time on my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Reminds me of "oot and aboot" for out and about. But then, I have too much time on my hands.
    See many previous posts.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

It's funny how you guys are discussing the use of capitalization. For some reason, since I have been in a more grown-up job where I send emails regularly and type stuff a lot more, I have developed the habit of randomly capitalizing things for no apparent reason. Usually I feel like its important words, but sometimes its just random and for no apparent reason. Improper grammar has always been a pet peeve of mine and I never took the capitalization issue as a part of that, but I see how it is.

Another side of the coin: I grew up in Memphis but didn't experience this until I moved to Georgia as an adult; the very odd colloquial pronunciations of words. I have a friend who says that when his food has sat out for too long it is "rernt;" not "ruined." We also had a discussion about his "chimbley;" not his "chimney." He is a great guy, so I never bring attention to it, this is really just an observation.

The newer (and at times more entertaining) phenomenon is VTT (voice to text). How often do you get a text from a friend and you can tell that they rattled off something to their iPhone and hit send before proof reading it? I got a text from a coworker once, to which I had to reply "Trash panda banana people?????"... fun times. Its almost a game interpreting what you think they are saying. Working in the world of facilities during the pandemic, you can only imagine what came across when my boss texted us about the "fogging schedule."

Thats 'bout all I have to add at this point.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

“Trash panda banana people?????” is the winning post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    It's certainly the most obscure question, I was expecting '!!!!!' at the end.

I've been watching an Australian small-town cop show called "Blue Heelers" which I find enjoyable. I wear hearing aids, due to hearing difficulties in the upper range (mostly children and some women, especially when voices are electronically mediated). As well, I sometimes have trouble with accents and dialects from countries other than my own and the USA. While I hear the dialogue pretty well, I keep the subtitles on to help me when I run into trouble. I was watching Blue Heelers yesterday when a character said "I should've", the subtitle said "should of." Sigh. I've seen far worse subtitles though on this and other shows. I'm assuming these subtitles are generated automatically, as was "trash panda banana people????", and that the systems are usually American and not programmed for Australian, Yorkshire, or many other accents -- they probably even have Canadians saying "oot and aboot." I was watching a British show the other day, in which someone, out of the blue, offered meat to a man at work in a barn -- at least according to the subtitles, which had nothing to do with what was said. I'm glad I'm not dependent on the subtitles. (If you've just discovered this thread, there's a long history to these off-topic comments.)
    Last edited by Ranald; May-10-2021 at 1:11pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    In order to declare you the winner we need a translation, Soliver. I know what a trash panda is, I'm familiar with the concept of a banana, and people—yeah, that word makes sense. It's the combination that is a little obscure.

Perhaps it's an instruction on what to do to properly discard a banana peel. "Trash pan da banana peel." Better ideas readily accepted.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    How often do you get a text from a friend and you can tell that they rattled off something to their iPhone and hit send before proof reading it? I got a text from a coworker once, to which I had to reply "Trash panda banana people?????"... .
    Yes, indeedy. And I've chided people about this, suggesting they take a little time and make sure their message is clear and correct before sending - but I get a lot of pushback. It's as if their time is more important than their message. Are people really all that pressed for time?

I was "cleaning house" the other day - electronically, that is, clearing out messages in my inboxes - and came across something I'd sent to myself months ago. Took several seconds to figure out what it was. I was in the middle of a writing project and had had a few ideas while driving. So I created a verbal text and sent it to my email. It got garbled here and there, and needed some deciphering, but it served as a rough draft, and was much better than trying to remember what my thoughts had been. So that was useful. But by no means would that ever have been acceptable to be seen by other eyes!

Someone mentioned subtitles in closed captioning. I tend to use this while watching videos on my computer, as I may be distracted by this or that. Also, sometimes the verbiage flies by too fast, as on British TV comedies. A few months ago I was watching a series devoted to retelling tales from Greek mythology. It was a French production, but in English, with a pretty posh-sounding British narrator. The narration was fine; the subtitles were all over the map. Misspellings proliferated like the Hydra's heads. I even considered offering my services as proofreader, and tried to find a way to contact the production team - in vain. I don't know if the subtitles are produced by the filmmakers or the video delivery service, or something else - but these were extraordinarily horrid.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

And then there's txt spk - which was OK for texts back when all we had was four rows of multi character buttons, but... At that time I was running a small live music agency, sending out bands, harpists, pipers, quartets and similar for weddings, parties, and corporate events. I started getting vowel free emails like cryptic quiz clues, written in txt spk - and no, it wasn't just guys with a phone text to email facility, some had acres of keyboard but thought it was cool. I suspect they spoke like that as well, with their jaws clamped together: "Yo, fcy br l8tr 2 clbr8 Ur bday?" After a while I realised these seldom worked out, so I hit Del8 whenever I saw 1.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    In order to declare you the winner we need a translation, Soliver. I know what a trash panda is, I'm familiar with the concept of a banana, and people—yeah, that word makes sense. It's the combination that is a little obscure.
    As I said I work in Facilities Management and I believe it was something about a "trash can to handle paper" or the "trash cans in there are too full" .... it was a while ago, so I don't remember the exact intended phrase. The guy who sent it has been a friend and coworker for a very long time and I know how he typically speaks, but this one was so far afield that I had to reply to him asking what he meant by it. The true punchline is that whenever the wifey and I are voice texting one another and something odd comes out, one of us looks up and says "Trash panda banana people!"
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post: