Thread: Tone Guard!!

Default Tone Guard!!

OK, so this is a long shot but I'm in the UK and have learnt that because of brexit I can't buy an official tone guard (massive pain in the a$$). So I'm wondering if anyone knows somone that could make me a lefty tone guard for a eastman md315! Any help would be much appreciated as I'm aware how good they are!

Default Re: Tone Guard!!

You can’t buy directly through the Tone-Gard website? There’s an email link for international order inquiries.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Blog Entries

I don't believe there is a lefty or a righty ToneGard for mandolins. As far as I've seen, they are symmetrical.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

4. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Well, it's spelled "Tone-Gard," not "Tone Guard." That's with a hyphen, and no "u" in "Gard." Maybe that's why you're having trouble getting more info about a purchase?

Tony Pires' website for the Tone-Gard suggest that you contact him directly for international orders by sending email to this address: info@tone-gard.com

Finally, the same Tone-Gard can fit both a left- and right-handed A5 or F5 model, like and Eastman lefty MD315.

NFI.

i think Elderly Instruments is cheaper for Tone-Gard than buying direct when you add the carriage to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I don't believe there is a lefty or a righty ToneGard for mandolins. As far as I've seen, they are symmetrical.
    Correct.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Correct.
    Well, technically, the Tone-Gard is not perfectly symmetrical -- the main part of the Gard is, and so are the upper attachment prongs, but attachment prong at the very bottom (by the tailpiece) comes in from the left, and not from the right, which makes it asymmetrical. However, it DOES fit both left- and right-handed instruments of the A5 and F5 style. Sorry to be so persnickety!

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Well, technically, the Tone-Gard is not perfectly symmetrical -- the main part of the Gard is, and so are the upper attachment prongs, but attachment prong at the very bottom (by the tailpiece) comes in from the left, and not from the right, which makes it asymmetrical. However, it DOES fit both left- and right-handed instruments of the A5 and F5 style. Sorry to be so persnickety!
    And...it looks to me that the asymetrical spring strut which that attachment prong ends might foul an arm rest with violin style attachment clamps - or it might not, you'd have to check one out. Unless of course you don't use an arm rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roryc View Post
    OK, so this is a long shot but I'm in the UK and have learnt that because of brexit I can't buy an official tone guard (massive pain in the a$$). So I'm wondering if anyone knows somone that could make me a lefty tone guard for a eastman md315! Any help would be much appreciated as I'm aware how good they are!
    Don’t know who “learned” you but I bought two from Tony at the end of 2020; a relatively painless process. I don’t see what brexit has to do with it.

Yeah, I bought one (from Elderley Instruments in USA to UK) this year. It took a few weeks to get here, but no problems, no extra duty to pay .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    sblock, Beautiful peghead. I am sure it something really nice. Forgive my ignorance-- what is the maker represented by the symbol? Thanks, Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    sblock, Beautiful peghead. I am sure it something really nice. Forgive my ignorance-- what is the maker represented by the symbol? Thanks, Dan
    Thanks for noticing! The mandolin in my avatar is a Pomeroy #8, made by luthier/fiddler Don Paine in Glenwood Springs, CO. It's a beautiful, one-of-a-kind inlay showing a hummingbird hovering above two flowers, executed in abalone, pearl, and a burl wood. In my opinion, this mandolin sounds as good as it looks! In fact, I commissioned another Pomeroy this year (now up to #267) year that should finally arrive next week, with a different custom inlay on the headstock -- an optical trap -- technology that symbolizes the work I do in science. I can't wait! I hope to be able to give a full report about it to fellow Mandolin Cafe members.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Don’t know who “learned” you but I bought two from Tony at the end of 2020; a relatively painless process. I don’t see what brexit has to do with it.
    After discussing this with Tony, I can report that, because of tax complications, he is not currently shipping direct to UK customers and the suggestion is that people order from dealers such as Elderley.

Tony has also asked me to point out that there are such things as “Lefty” Gards [who’d have thought it - apparently it does matter] There is one dealer, BanjoBen who stocks them. And in Germany, New Acoustic Gallery will have one. They are special order.

I should add that I have no financial connection with Tony other than being a satisfied customer.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Brendhergert 

Just got my Tone-Gard from Banjo Ben’s store, install took about 5 seconds, and it took another 5 seconds to realize it was a good investment.

Added bonus: it’s just heavy enough that my Northfield now hangs perfectly balanced.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

19. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I used to worry about my mandolins getting sweated on in the dog days of july so I would swaddle them in towels but now the tonegard mostly takes care of that. You do have to take care if you're keeping TG on the mando in the case that the case lid doesn't pressure the bridge.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Tony has also asked me to point out that there are such things as “Lefty” Gards [who’d have thought it - apparently it does matter] There is one dealer, BanjoBen who stocks them. And in Germany, New Acoustic Gallery will have one. They are special order.

I should add that I have no financial connection with Tony other than being a satisfied customer.
    I just looked - I have bought one custom Tone-Gard direct from Tony, and two from New Acoustic Gallery in Germany.
    NAG's current rice for standard Tone-Gard is €106 inc VAT which even with shipping will fall below the UK's duty threshold of £135.

With Tony's one , the duty and VAT, and VAT on clearance charges from USA at the time was quite a shock, and varied so much that it couldn't be calculated by the seller beforehand, and it would be understandable if Tony had got fed up with explaining that to people and preferred Elderly to take the flak.
    Bren

My Elderly Instruments Tone-Gard was billed at $70 inc $10 shipping USA>UK, and that's what I paid on PayPal - no more tax, no more duty on arrival in UK, no hassle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    Just got my Tone-Gard from Banjo Ben’s store, install took about 5 seconds, and it took another 5 seconds to realize it was a good investment.

Added bonus: it’s just heavy enough that my Northfield now hangs perfectly balanced.

Same for me [received the Tone-Gard yesterday] and I'll add that it fits well on my Silverangel and fits into a Hoffee case.

And thanks to Banjo Ben for prompt service.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

24. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Same for me [received the Tone-Gard yesterday] and I'll add that it fits well on my Silverangel and fits into a Hoffee case.

And thanks to Banjo Ben for prompt service.
    Three cheers for Banjo Ben, indeed. It was maybe 3 days from ordering to receiving.

I’ll add that the Northfield Heirloom Recurve case fits the Tone-Garded Model M perfectly.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I got mine from Banjo Ben and like it.

-Tom