Thread: Unique description of a beautiful 1923 A4, for sale in Japan

Default Unique description of a beautiful 1923 A4, for sale in Japan

[I'm not knocking it - my attempts to translate English into Japanese would be a total catastrophe. Anyway, hope you all enjoy this in the spirit of abstract poetry. As they say below, "Settle for a look is the style that gives off the aura, is a vintage mandolin to make me forget the time that goes by when you play."]

Currently for sale on Reverb, in Japan.

Gibson golden age of Mandolin, was produced from 1919 of Lloyd lower enrolled in 1924 Loar-era! This vessel is a popular snake head among the made 1923 A-4. This year 1922 is that F-5 appeared, in the second half of 1922 will be introduced truss rod, but A-4 of the truss rod containing made immediately after that. Elegant hand curve Adirondack spruce top, maple sides and back, mahogany neck, is the ebony fretboard. The head pearl script logo in fleur-de-lis head inlay, the body is no crack body of beautiful red sunburst finish. Original peg is a little hardness what there is will it work better, patent-stamped Ebony adjustable bridge, the original patent stamp tortoiseshell pattern pickguard, original tailpiece. Currently are finger plate replacement in the past have hit the size of the fret close to the original in the finger plate without binding. Aibo Lloyd binding of the body back has been partially cut repair. Neck condition is well, it is the playability good. Neck 7F per back xylem correction marker, there is a reduced xylem to the neck back 5F side. It is like being thinly over spray the whole, but is a good finish of the feeling that was left of the original atmosphere that does not feel very unnatural. Beautiful arched top, the beauty of the rope handle Rosetta such as the design of the parquet to the oval sound hole also would say that A-4 unique. The nut width by a thin neck shape seen in the snake head life is 25.5mm, Guripppu feeling well very easy to play. Mellow tone that fully ripened is exceptional! Volume is also a sound to feel the sweet and savory about 100 years of tree-ring while out firmly. Settle for a look is the style that gives off the aura, is a vintage mandolin to make me forget the time that goes by when you play. Original hard case included.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KCNelson For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unique description of a beautiful 1923 A4, for sale in Japan

"Original hard case included." Nothing lost in translation there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Teacher, repair person

It seems from this and other recent examples that the current version of the Japanese to English translation software would benefit from further development and refinement.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    It seems from this and other recent examples that the current version of the Japanese to English translation software would benefit from further development and refinement.
    Maybe.

"Settle for a look is the style that gives off the aura, is a vintage mandolin to make me forget the time that goes by when you play."

Might even be an improvement on the original English text.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Kind of reminds me of the fun and craftily worded descriptions you'd read from Mandolin Brothers.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Blog Entries

It probably was, before it got put through the meat grinder aka google translate. I use this pretty often, but I always check and recheck, back and forth through the languages, to make sure it's accurate. That often isn't done, and here we are.

Have people seen the bit on The Tonight Show in which Jimmy Fallon and a guest sing bits of songs using the lyrics that have been mangled this way? Google "Google Translate Songs" - you'll see what I mean. Hilarious!

Oh, hey KC - would you please post the link to this listing? I'm having a deuce of a time finding it. Thanks!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    hey KC - would you please post the link to this listing? I'm having a deuce of a time finding it.
    Well I'm not KC but was able to quickly find a Reverb page which (when that page's "Read more" link is clicked) contains the appropriate weird text description, so it might be the same page the OP saw... $deity forbid there's more than one such page...

An aside, there's a quick and easy trick to (sometimes) find things like that, which is a lot faster to do than to describe:
    1. Copy a short portion of some unique or unusual text. In this instance there was plenty of unusual text to choose from, so I just randomly copied a short snippet of it.
    2. Paste that into Google's search field and put quotation marks around that text.
    3. IMPORTANT: Specify the exact domain you want searched (see code below). This step is very important, so that you don't end up with umpteen million search results to wade through. There are tons of other special Google search operators available but in this case the domain operator seemed like it would be useful to narrow down the search results. I didn't know if Reverb had a separate .jp domain so I just tried .com first to see if that worked:

Code:
    "second half of 1922 will be introduced truss rod" site:reverb.com

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Have people seen the bit on The Tonight Show in which Jimmy Fallon and a guest sing bits of songs using the lyrics that have been mangled this way? Google "Google Translate Songs" - you'll see what I mean. Hilarious!
    Yep! Fun stuff.

10. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Well I'm not KC but was able to quickly find a Reverb page which (when that page's "Read more" link is clicked) contains the appropriate weird text description, so it might be the same page the OP saw... $deity forbid there's more than one such page...

... there's a quick and easy trick to (sometimes) find things like that, which is a lot faster to do than to describe:
    Copy a short portion of some unique or unusual text ... Paste that into Google's search field and put quotation marks around that text.
    Thanks! I knew that - I know that - but completely forgot that. I do that all the time! Well, not this time. Thanks!

It's a pretty nice-looking instrument, though with so many little scratches it might be a bit overpriced. I did solve one mystery of the mangled description - I think. I believe this bit of blather - "Currently are finger plate replacement in the past have hit the size of the fret close to the original in the finger plate without binding" - is the seller's way of saying it has a scooped Florida. But maybe not.

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Around 1970 (pre-computer for most of us, pre-IBM PC, way pre-Google), as Japanese import cars began hitting the East coast (only Toyota and Datsun/Nissan at that point), one of the car magazines, probably Car & Driver, printed monthly excerpts from their favorite owner's manuals. Phrases like "use of security key to aid in robber" were pretty common. By the time I bought a Celica in '75, the manuals were pretty well straightened out.

And oh yeah: Also around '70, the first batch of 50 or so Honda micro-minicars, pre-N360 & privately-imported IIRC, were sold off to become an amusement park ride! From what I can see on-line, they have actively forgotten that chapter.

Sorry! Back to mandolins...
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

14. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    ... owner's manuals. Phrases like "use of security key to aid in robber" were pretty common. ...
    Lol. That reminds me of "Farb now the glimrod" from the 1980s comic strip "Shoe", where Santa's elf team is trying to assemble a new imported sleigh. That strip may be a little dated now, as to the country it mentions, but anyway someone on the internet put all the strip's frames into a YouTube video:

(or direct link)

It definitely reeks of Google Translate.
    DeepL is a far superior translator, and you can upload whole documents for translation.
    www.deepL.com
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I have friends in Japan who post on facebook in Japanese. It's practically impossible to tell what they are actually saying when their words are being translated by a robot. One of the lesser reasons is that a Japanese sentence places subject, object, and verb in different locations than in an English sentence. A much greater problem is that Japanese writing makes use of four distinct alphabets. One of the four alphabets is Kanji which doesn't symbolize letters (A,B,C, etc), but actual words, and occasionally more than a single word. A Japanese writer may know a few thousand distinct Kanji characters. Each of these characters can also change meaning depending on the placement of other Kanji characters in the same sentence. They can also change meaning depending on whom is being addressed. This is a thumbnail explanation for the A4 ad. And that makes me wonder how the word 'thumbnail' would be rendered into Kanji.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)