Thread: Sharing a tool I use for practice

Default Sharing a tool I use for practice

Hi all,

I expect there are lots of new folks here like me who started playing during the pandemic. I'm a long time guitarist who plateaued a long time ago, and it's been really great to have something fun and new to learn. When I'm doing it right, the sense of progress is immensely gratifying in these trying times.

However, it's very easy to feel directionless when I sit down to practice. It gets frustrating, and at times, can even make me anxious if I don't feel like I'm progressing as much as I should. What should I set my metronome to for each exercise? Where did I leave off last time? Am I actually getting better?

To be able to efficiently put the wealth of information I've found online into practice, I built a practice tool using an app called Coda. It's basically a fancy spreadsheet that's more flexible and has extra bells and whistles to let you build your own apps, sort of.

This tool helps me know exactly what to do, and how to do it, and it fills me in on what I was thinking last time I did each exercise in my routine. It charts my progress automatically, and makes it easy to access any tabs, audio files, or any other resources I may need for a given exercise.

For the analog players around here, I apologize for how massively overkill and techie this is. But I find it very helpful and wanted to share it in case anyone else would like to give it a try. You can find the link here: https://coda.io/d/Mandolin-Progress_dt-YjRth7iL.

It should be easy to make a copy and start your own (Coda is free). Yes, this is my actual practice log so you could technically check up on me and yell at me if you see me not practicing!

I'm happy to answer any questions in this discussion, and I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to improve it.

Cheers,
    Nick

2. The following members say thank you to PluckMeRunning for this post:

Cindy 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Sharing a tool I use for practice

Thanks for sharing, I’m excited about looking at this when I’m able. I’m on my phone now, and no time to fire up the laptop right now. But I’ve been dreaming this past year about writing some program for myself to do what it sounds like this may already do.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Nick, I REALLY need this kind of structure in my practice. Lack thereof, I believe, at least partially accounts for my recent frustration, evidenced by my Forum posts that are all over the place.

It looks easy to get started, but would you mind giving a step by step? Download Coda first or just copy your spreadsheet and it automatically loads?

I love spreadsheets, so using this tool is going to be fun.

Thanks Nick, this seems interesting, I’ll have a look.
    It reminds me that there are techniques that I still need to learn but haven’t because of my scattered learning process.

I am an occasional recorder of tunes that I learn on a regular basis, approximately 2 tunes a week. I then post some of them here on our Song A Week Social group, link below.
    I simply learn these tunes and do very slow repetitions of any parts that are a bit technically challenging.
    My record is basically a folder of tunes that I have printed out.

Good luck with your app and thanks for posting.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Thanks, this looks really helpful! I've been playing for about a year, and could use more structure in my practicing.

(And I'm new here, hi everyone!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolia For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Looks like a fantastic tool, actually. And it appeals to a nerd like me.

In my mind it is important, when using such a tool, to be really sure the tasks are right and support the mission. You want to be sure that getting better at what you are measuring so accurately is really getting you closer to your actual musical goals.

A stupid phrase, but telling - I would much rather be actually getting better, than conscientiously measuring my lack of progress. And this is a trap I have fallen into many times. I shouldn't have to choose between the two, and being careful about the tasks you work on and what you measure and track is the way out of that trap.

I have done wayyyy to much thinking about this, as evidenced by this and this.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

In my mind it is important, when using such a tool, to be really sure the tasks are right and support the mission. You want to be sure that getting better at what you are measuring so accurately is really getting you closer to your actual musical goals.

A stupid phrase, but telling - I would much rather be actually getting better, than conscientiously measuring my lack of progress. And this is a trap I have fallen into many times. I shouldn't have to choose between the two, and being careful about the tasks you work on and what you measure and track is the way out of that trap.

I'll have to read "this" and "this" in my "free" time.

What you've said here, Jeff, reminds me of my husband's recent statement, something about if I played as much as I organized, I would play a lot better. There's truth in that.

Now back to work.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Nick, I REALLY need this kind of structure in my practice. Lack thereof, I believe, at least partially accounts for my recent frustration, evidenced by my Forum posts that are all over the place.

It looks easy to get started, but would you mind giving a step by step? Download Coda first or just copy your spreadsheet and it automatically loads?

I love spreadsheets, so using this tool is going to be fun.
    I'm so glad you're interested in it! I am going to add a tab with step by step instructions for signing up and cloning the doc for personal use. Hopefully that will help you get started!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

This is an important observation, and I think it might be beneficial to add a section for intention setting here to structure your longer term strategic goals when setting the tool up for yourself, rather than just focusing on the tactical minutiae of individual practice sessions.

I think there are some obvious shortcomings with my approach. Its only metric is BPM, which isn't exactly a useful unit of measurement when you haven't even memorized a tune yet.

For example, I've learned the introduction to the Jacob Do Bandolim tune, Assanhado, and can play it at full speed with the recording. However, logging that as having practiced the tune at my target BPM would make the chart less meaningful since I only know ~5% of the song (not to mention it feels disingenuous ). It's certainly progress, but feels like it needs to be logged and tracked in a different way.

But I also don't want to over-engineer this thing. The point is to practice mandolin! I would love to hear any ideas folks might have.

Thanks for sharing your posts too, Jeff. As a bedroom player who's never been in a band or really been capable of a really fun collaborative jam, contemplating the "why" has often made me uncomfortable. The ambition to become more fun to play with resonated with me. Going to check out The Inner Game of Music.
    Last edited by PluckMeRunning; Apr-30-2021 at 12:11pm.

14. The following members say thank you to PluckMeRunning for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

This tool is fascinating. I need to return and look at it when my brain is fresher. Thank you!
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.