Thread: A2 Sold by a Gibson Teacher-Dealer in Canada

Default A2 Sold by a Gibson Teacher-Dealer in Canada

First, as someone who is new to vintage mandolins, I want to thank the contributors to this forum for posting so much interesting and useful information over the years. I've spent hours searching through the forum's threads and have learned a lot!

I recently bought a 1918 Gibson A-2 mandolin (FON 11149). When I received the instrument, I was surprised to find a sticker inside, just above the Gibson label. It reads “J.J. Levert, Importer, Dealer and Teacher, Montreal.” I’m an archivist and historian by profession, and this label led me straight down a research rabbit-hole. I’m posting this here because it appears that Mandolin Archive is no longer adding new entries, and if anyone would care about this kind of thing it would be someone on this forum, right?

John Jules Levert was a music teacher and instrument dealer in Montreal. He was likely one of the many teacher-dealers in Gibson’s network at the time. Levert was born in Quebec, Canada on August 1, 1869. He emigrated to the United States at age 16 and found work as a musician in New York. By 1896, he had become a U.S. citizen and was teaching mandolin, banjo, piano, guitar and violin from a studio at 517 3rd Avenue.

Around 1898, he moved back to Canada and opened a new studio at 2232 St. Catherine Street in Montreal. He taught mandolin, guitar and banjo in his studio, and in the homes of his students. He advertised special rates for women and children. He also began a series of annual concerts in Montreal. His 13th annual concert in 1911 featured a program of marches, waltzes and solo performances on mandolin, piano, banjo, guitar and vocal. Valentine Abt played solo mandolin versions of works by Mendelssohn and Wagner. The “Orpheum Banjo-Mandolin Orchestra” played a “ragtime march.” The concert ended with a rendition of “God Save the King” on piano. Later that year, Levert agreed to lead the McGill Banjo and Mandolin Club. The Club referred to him as “Montreal’s well-known Banjo and Mandolin Club leader.”

By 1917, Levert had moved to 446 St. Catherine with his wife Lillian? and son Jules Francis. The street numbers in Montreal have since changed. At the time, that address was between Mansfield and Metcalfe streets. Levert was still in business as a music teacher and instrument dealer in 1921, and was doing well enough to afford a live-in maid.

I suspect he ordered this A-2 from Gibson in 1918, placed his label inside the sound hole, and sold it to one of his students or to a member of the community. I believe this instrument spent most of its life in Canada before I received it. It's well worn, but a great player with a punchy, wonderful tone. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Sources:
    Spann, Joe; Guide to Gibson, 1902-1941
    NY Naturalization record, October 27, 1894
    1921 Canadian Census
    New York Journal, October 1, 1896
    La Minerve, December 24, 1898
    Crescendo, March 12, 1911
    McGill Daily, December 13, 1911

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lcgrady For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A2 Sold by a Gibson Teacher-Dealer in Canada

I very much doubt the Mandolin Archive is closed. Just last week an F5 that came to notice here was added. Contact Dan Beimborn. He is the head honcho and grand poobah of the Mandolin Archive, and also a member here. He'll help you through the process.

And welcome to the Café!

PS: Whoops! I spoke too soon. Apparently they are indeed "unable to add new records at this time." No idea why, though I can guess. But you should still contact Dan either through his profile here or this email, which I guess is him, as I expect it will be up and running again soon:

info2@mandolinarchive.com/
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Valentine Abt was a highly accomplished solo mandolinist who performed during the Golden Age of the Mandolin. Some of his solo arrangements survive and they're reportedly tremendously difficult to play.

Anyway, Gibson's teacher-dealer network was responsible for a large chunk (possibly even the majority) of its mandolin sales during this time period. The network had its own magazine and was successful at making mandolin-family instruments insanely popular. So a lot of old Gibsons have a very similar provenance to this one, but only a minority of the teacher-dealers put their own labels in the instruments.

I once came across an old A2 from this period that had "Lehigh University Mandolin Club 1919" inscribed on the underside of the tailpiece cover ... that was a thrilling discovery too. Here's some more info.
    Last edited by mrmando; Apr-30-2021 at 7:49pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Great bit of information about the history and music scene of that era! Thank you for sharing.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

7. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post: