Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Default Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Figured out a use for the backpack strap pouch, which has a thin layer of foam padding on the inside: removed the zipper, rolled it up, and placed it in the peghead area for some additional support to keep the scroll away from the interior surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	671.8 KB 
ID:	194120

Hi folks, although this thread is not very old I am wondering if anyone has ordered one recently and if so, what you received. There appears to be many iterations of this case floating around- 3 latche's, 5 latches; two handles, one handle; will stand on edge, won't stand on edge, etc.
    Just wondering what is being shipped at this time, thanks

I think if I were in the market for a midrange mando case that's backstrapable, I'd consider spending a little more and get a more consistent and dependable product. A case that you have to stuff extra foam or rags into to secure the instrument would concern me. It's instrument shift in a case during tumbles that causes a lot of damage. The Northfield Airloom Recurve secures the instrument at the tailpiece and the neck and fits the mandolin without cramming extra loose stuff in. German engineering and production.

https://www.northfieldinstruments.co...irloom-recurve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    Hi folks, although this thread is not very old I am wondering if anyone has ordered one recently and if so, what you received. There appears to be many iterations of this case floating around- 3 latche's, 5 latches; two handles, one handle; will stand on edge, won't stand on edge, etc.
    Just wondering what is being shipped at this time, thanks
    I got one about 2 months ago via Amazon, 4 latches, 2 handles. It will stand on the side edge, though due to how narrow the footprint is, it can tip easily if bumped, but it hasn't concerned me. Overall, I'm happy with the case for the price.

Blog Entries

When I came of age in the '70s, seems color was having a new heyday, especially what they called "Earth tones" and "jewel tones." Nowadays, the proportion of products made in black astound. Know I'm a geezer, but "back in the day" black was what funeral directors and mourners wore. Nothing wrong with black, but leave out black, gray, and white cars and see what how little selection is left. This applies to summer music camps on campuses, where you see a sea of black cases stacked in the dining hall.

I'm now having a mandolin made for me, and ordered my own case, a Crossrock fiberglass beauty in ... yellow! Let the sun shine in!

Blog Entries

Just type "Crossrock Cases" in the Facebook search field, and you're "in."

Howdy Glassweb,
    Who or what web site had those Crossrock mando cases for that price ?
    I bought 2 of those cases a few yrs ago for a little less than you price but that's still a good / fair price.
    They are great fiber glass cases. I have 1 superior case that my recent find purchase of my Pava A5 pro came in. Those are nice cases
    but I like the Crossrock better more room inside etc.
    Thanks

Amazon has the black fiberglass case at $239 and other colors at $249. Their prices seem to fluctuate randomly, often by color.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailbydayplaybynight View Post
    Howdy Glassweb,
    Who or what web site had those Crossrock mando cases for that price ?
    I bought 2 of those cases a few yrs ago for a little less than you price but that's still a good / fair price.
    They are great fiber glass cases. I have 1 superior case that my recent find purchase of my Pava A5 pro came in. Those are nice cases
    but I like the Crossrock better more room inside etc.
    Thanks
    Here they all are on amazon.

With all of my A's and F's with the tone guard on they fit in the Crossrock fiber glass cases.
    My Pava A5 Pro with a tone guard will fit in a white superior case.
    I live in the sunny south around Gulf Shores most of cases are white or silver as to reflect the sun and heat.
    A few times I have left a mandolin in a hot vehicle and the sun beating down on a white case.
    Expecting the worse I have opened the case to a cool un harmed mando.

11. The following members say thank you to sailbydayplaybynight for this post:

With all of my A's and F's with the tone guard on they fit in the Crossrock fiber glass cases.
    I live in the sunny south around Gulf Shores most of cases are white or silver as to reflect the sun and heat.
    A few times I have left a mandolin in a hot vehicle and the sun beating down on a white case.
    that's really impressive... does your white case have 4 latches or five? and does it have the 4 rubber bumpers on the "sitting upright side" so it can stand upright?

the only issue I have with my Crossrock case is that does not safely stand upright on its side. Crossrock assured me they were going to address this problem but I don't know if they have. other than that issue I still love the case and believe it is a great case for the money...

13. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

I was recently thinking of a crossrock case and contacted the crossrock company via email. They were very accommodating answering all my questions and were working on a deal for me of $219 shipped but I bought a different case so never followed through

To clarify further, I asked the rep the questions of latches, handles and its ability to stand on its edge, her response follows:

"It has 5 latches and two strap handles (side and top).
    It will stand on it's side edge.

But All CRF1000MAF fiberglass mandolin case has been out of stock now.
    The new stock will be available by the end of Aug 2021."

The reason I contacted them was to check on these issues and I had seen someplace on Amazon an ad for $219 with free delivery, I wanted to see if they would honor that!

She was very responsive, responded to all emails within 12 hrs which surprised me.

Got an amazon email saying they had them back in stock. I bought a white crossrock fiberglass case. So far it has exceeded my expectations. Really well designed. Someone had mentioned that the case will not stand up on its side but that isn't true. It has rubber feet on 3 out of 6 sides (bottom, back, and horizontal side opposite the handle) The case is lightweight and all of the latches are good quality. The straps are nice because you can wear it as a backpack or take one off and wear it on one shoulder. Hope this is helpful for someone.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reasonableshirts For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Just seeing a couple of new videos from Crossrock made in December that probably haven't been shared here.

19. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

These look very impressive... thanks for posting these videos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	994.9 KB 
ID:	198586

This is the Crossrock that came with my recent Girouard G5. It looks a little different than the ones in the video. I am not sure whether is a newer version or perhaps an older one. Definitely more posh though.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Nice case, I see it has the TSA latch.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Nice case, I see it has the TSA latch.
    Yes, but my one real dislike is it is much easier to knock over. It's fairly narrow, width wise. I put the Girouard in a Calton after knocking the Crossrock over a few times.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Do you perthaps have a vinage F2. I Have a Golden Gate case that I had to "customize" by removing the accessory box to fit the short neck of my 1914 F2 Gibby. I wonder if anyone has used the Crossrock successfully for the olde, short scale Gibsons?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 3apltrez View Post
    Do you perthaps have a vinage F2. I Have a Golden Gate case that I had to "customize" by removing the accessory box to fit the short neck of my 1914 F2 Gibby. I wonder if anyone has used the Crossrock successfully for the olde, short scale Gibsons?

Greg
    I have the Eastman MD 315 oval hole. I am not sure how close the dimensions are to the original F2 or 4's. but it fits okay in the Crossrock -- not perfect, a bit snug, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if needed.

Since this topic got bumped, I'll add that the Crossrock A/F fiberglass case fits my Flatiron pancake mandola. I was actually using the Crossrock for a long neck oval-hole hybrid mandolin with a scroll.

At some point, I had discovered that the Flatiron mandola fit into one of those Boulder AIpine F/A mandolin gig bags. One day, I noticed that the hybrid mandolin also fit well in one of those gig bag for a casual trip, and after taking out the Flatiron to put in the hybrid, I looked at the just-emptied Crossrock, and then at the Flatiron, and then thought, "I wonder, would this thing actually fit...?" And it did!

I've since done some trips with the Flatiron mandola in the Crossrock as a carry-on, and the empty Boulder Alpine A/F bag in the checked luggage (to use in-town on the other end of the flight). I have never been forced to check the mandola, but my Crossrock does have the TSA lock, and I use the Crossrock just in case I'm ever forced to check it. A recent set of flights had a twin-prop for the final leg, and no carry-on space, but no instrument went on that trip. Still, it pays to be prepared!

----

I did order a new Crossrock from Amazon last week, about to arrive. Fhe pictures show the lock, and the description mentions it in passing, but now I have to be sure to check it whe, the case arrives, just in case....
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

PSA - I just looked on Amazon and they're now priced around $280 for the fiberglass A/F model. They have a few bright yellow ones for $240, and I ordered one. Been fretting (NPI) over my upcoming summer travels that will involve a half-dozen (maybe one more - lost count) flights with the Airloom case (and a backpack). If my Eastman/Tone-Gard setup fits in this, I'll take it for the TSA locks alone, never mind a color that will hard to forget in the jet-lagged fog I'll be in for a couple days at each end.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    PSA - I just looked on Amazon and they're now priced around $280 for the fiberglass A/F model. They have a few bright yellow ones for $240, and I ordered one. ....
    Update - a box arrived today that was [Crossrock] labeled "Tenor Ukulele Case Vintage Green" - they sent the wrong case. (Amazon's own, small sticker/barcode had it labeled as a mandolin case.) Supposedly Amazon is sending a replacement, but I will be surprised if it's not just another mislabeled box.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I am assuming they do not make cases for a Gibson K4 mandocello... right?
    I am worried about air travel and looking at Calton. I do not want a TSA or flight attendant to say "Sorry, no carry on" and see my soft bag go on a cart.
    ... Advice?
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile