Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Thumbs up Crossrock Mandolin Cases

I just received a couple of the the new Crossrock F/A style mandolin cases today and all I can say is WOW! Talk about over-delivering - I got these on Amazon for $219 (+ tax) each (with shipping included) and I'm quite shocked at the looks/quality/protection and functionality these cases offer. I'm not going to go into a lengthy product review here, but I will say this... for a quarter (or less) the price of a Calton, Hoffee or Pegasus mandolin case, these Crossrocks RULE! No kidding... check one out. I believe you'll be impressed.

One note... no matter what the size or shape of your mandolin these cases come with a plush, fabric covered piece of padding that will make your instrument fit securely. This wonderful and effective "extra" solves the problem that many of us have experienced when buying a case sight unseen.

A superb product.
    Last edited by Glassweb; May-01-2021 at 6:59pm.

Default Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

I bought one of their A style cases from Amazon. Great case for the money. I like the blue interior of the case that I bought. A lot of the less expensive mandolin cases have the black interior which is not what I wanted. Blue or green interior for me.

I would highly recommend Crossrock mandolin cases!

Pulled the trigger on the A/F...me a case hound.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Which model case did you buy?

Yeah, I really like the look of the silver ABS A style but worry about does the Tongard fit and is there enough bridge clearance.

Following up I ordered the fiberglass because of the hard rubber-plastic closure seams as opposed to the metal on the ABS.

I've had one for a while now, and can confirm Glassweb's post. They are a great value. Easily fits an A or F with a toneguard. Very light. The balance is a little odd compared to a Calton when shouldered, but that is a small issue. I am not a fan of the TSA lock, though. A small bump and it opens.

Agreed. I have two. Plenty of room for tone-gard. Fit an NF5S, A Girouard A5, and an MT2-0 all with Tonegard. They're light, come in colors that won't collect the sunlight, and don't put pressure on the bridge. Mine have 5 latches and no TSA lock. A lot to like about em.

I don't think they're really in competition with the Hoffees and Caltons but they're a very strong choice for around $200. Honorable mention to the Hiscox in white if they were available. Anywhere.

EDIT: Mine is the fiberglass case, I have no info about the ABS
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

I bought the fiberglass cases in red and black. They look great. No problem for me with 5 well-made latches... I've never had a problem with these style latches opening. As Chuck mentioned above, I don't feel these cases are in competition with Calton or Hoffee because for their price and their superb quality no other case (that I've used/bought) can touch them. NFI here whatsoever.

By the way... I've seen maybe a couple of different versions of this case... I believe what I received is the latest version with 5 latches (one can be locked), carrying handle at the top, well-made/designed padded adjustable backpack straps, nice, comfortable leather carrying handle and rubber bumpers all over. As mentioned before... at a quarter the price of the highest end mandolin cases, these are unbeatable.

Oh yes, the interior fabric color in the two I purchased is red/burgundy... nice looking and high quality.

Hi Glassweb, where did you buy this case? Also, does it have both backpack strap and shoulder strap options? That is, are there rings on the side with the handle for normal sideways shoulder strap carrying as well as along the back for backpack straps?

I assume you're talking about the fiberglass rather than ABS model?

Thanks.

I bought my cases on Amazon through a company called Rocktraveler... Rock something... I forget. There ARE rings that could be used for a shoulder style strap, but the case only comes with the pair of padded backpack straps. And yes... I purchased the nice-looking, molded fiberglass cases. They come in 6 colors... red, black, deep blue, silver, white and yellow.

This appears to be the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF...0061879&sr=8-3

You can also buy them directly from Amazon for a little more money.

I bought one of their electric guitar cases last year. It was both inexpensive and well made.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-04-2021 at 8:27am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I've been considering a fiberglass Crossrock classical guitar case for my octave mandolin for a while now, I might try one soon. Thanks for the update on current build quality!

I know the fit won't be perfect with my 22" scale F-style OM, but I've padded out a classical guitar gig bag and can do that here. At least there would be plenty of room around the large headstock. The original Weber plywood case is built like a tank but it weighs a ton. Need something lighter in weight, if I ever take this thing out of the house again.

I don't buy much from Facebook so no personal experience but it looks like the cases are on sale from the Crossrock Facebook page. $169 vs $219 at Amazon.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/pr...page_shop_card
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

I wish we could get them to make a mod-able mandola case. We could probably guarantee 50 orders. My Cedar Creek mandola case is crazy heavy.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

Wow that's a lot of $ difference. Didn't even know to look on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I don't buy much from Facebook so no personal experience but it looks like the cases are on sale from the Crossrock Facebook page. $169 vs $219 at Amazon.

The picture that is shown there is not the same case(s) I just received. The ones that I have are equipped with 5 latches... 3 on the bass side of the case, one on the treble and one down at 5 o'clock on the bottom. There is also a carrying strap that attaches across the headstock area which I don't see in the Facebook image. How could you be sure you'd get the latest version from Facebook?

I'd contact Crossrock on their site before ordering.

A few more thoughts on these cases... I'm very impressed with the rigidity of the arching on the top of the case. If you press down firmly on it it does not flex like some other import fiberglass cases I've seen. Another thing is Crossrock's design is relatively lightweight and compact. Maybe not quite as sexy as a Pegasus case and maybe not as bulletproof as a Calton, but take the best qualities of a Pegasus, a Calton, a Hoffee and give it a price tag of slightly over $200 and you've got a hand's-down winner. These things look beautiful as well... but you'll have to get an F-style case cover elsewhere because Crossrock doesn't offer one (yet).
    Last edited by Glassweb; May-04-2021 at 11:48am.

I'm not seeing any difference in the pictures of each, in fact they appear to be the same pictures and product #.

I don't even know where you find that on FB. When I go to marketplace it's usually old pickup trucks.

Agreed it's the older style picture but it's the exact same picture they're using on Amazon. Always best to check though because the 5 latches are a nice upgrade imo.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have an ABS case, and while I wouldn't stand on it, it's great for regular day-to-day getting around (remember that?). The latches feel a bit chintzy, but what do you want for less than €100? My A5 with Tone-Gard fits in just right.

Well,
    I took a chance and ordered one from Facebook. Hope it's the five Latch.
    I'll let everyone know when it arrives.

26. The following members say thank you to d18daddy for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post

And I was happy because I found them on eBay at $199. Ah, well. That's the shopper's life, right?
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I'm not seeing any difference in the pictures of each, in fact they appear to be the same pictures and product #.
    The model numbers CRF1000MAF seem to match.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

I wrote to see why and they replied that the ones on Facebook have defects, like blems.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post: