Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Default Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Chinese junk and flimsy me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Chinese, yes. Flimsy junk? Nope. I have both the F and the D Guitar.

3. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

...junk and flimsy me thinks.
    Given all the long-time contributors who have already posted their actual experiences, it seems your theorizing is counter to reality.

Incidentally, my new mint blue A/F mandolin case has arrived. It definitely has the TSA lock, and is just as sturdy as my original Crossrock case. It's definitely highly visible as well, a great attribute for traveling. I might pick one more, this time in yellow....
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

5. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

I posted my review of the Crossrock classical guitar case for my octave mandolin in the other thread, but here are a few more comments.

This particular Crossrock case is a thinner fiberglass layup than my Pegasus mandolin case. As a classical guitar case it weighs almost the same as my Pegasus mandolin case, an indication of the layup thickness. The Pegasus is built like a tank. I think I could stand on my Pegasus case and not bend it. I wouldn't do that with the Crossrock.

The latches on the Pegasus are also higher quality, more robust. But then the Pegasus costs more than twice as much as the Crossrock. You get what you pay for. As a case for what I'd call light to medium-duty instrument transport like carrying in a car to a jam or a gig, or surviving in a pile of other cases at a music workshop, I think the Crossrock is fine.

A Pegasus (or maybe a Calton) would be slightly better, but I don't take my OM out of the house often enough to justify the cost. I wouldn't put my expensive Weber F-style OM in a case I thought was flimsy junk.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

I purchased one a while back and the lid didn't fit well at all so I returned it. One of the latches didn't latch close tightly either. Perhaps I got a lemon but that particular Crossrock was a disappointment.

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Roberts for this post:

I purchased one a while back and the lid didn't fit well at all so I returned it. One of the latches didn't latch close tightly either. Perhaps I got a lemon but that particular Crossrock was a disappointment.
    And, no doubt, that does happen from time to time.

11. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Yes, I remember reading comments like that, which is why I bought mine on Amazon where I could do a no questions asked return if there were problems. There may be some QC issues here and there with something cutting it this close on profit margins.

13. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Update - a box arrived today that was [Crossrock] labeled "Tenor Ukulele Case Vintage Green" - they sent the wrong case. (Amazon's own, small sticker/barcode had it labeled as a mandolin case.) Supposedly Amazon is sending a replacement, but I will be surprised if it's not just another mislabeled box.
    Don't know if I posted this. Crossrock also makes Molded ABS Cases at half the price. Not that anyone would be interested. However, I was at Amazon Warehouse about a year ago and saw a Crossrock Molded ABS Mandolin Case for $63.00, Open Box. I bought it. When "It" came, the box it was shipped in was gigantic. Far too big for a single mandolin case. Plus it was very heavy. When I opened it inside the house I found it contained not 1 but 4 boxes, all that could hold cases. One box was Empty, the other 3 all had Crossrock, molded ABS cases in them. I have never heard from Amazon. Essentially they sent me 3 mandolin cases for $63.00 dollars. I kept one, as I needed it to put a mandolin in, that I was selling. I traded the other two to a builder in Southern Maryland, who gave me $100.00 credit off a mandolin I purchased from him. So I agree. Amazon does make mistakes when it ships.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

15. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Ok, today I got a replacement, and it was a yellow fiberglas case for a mandolin. But, pretty sure it's going back.

The case seems reasonably well made. Lid fits just fine, latches are solid, padding and lining appear as I would have expected. But, it doesn't fit my mandolin very well at all.

The extra strip of liner/foam is necessary to keep the mandolin from being completely loose in the case, which is odd, but it's still not a great fit, and especially around the headstock. I think it's too tight, but someone might convince me otherwise. I thought maybe I could move the [re]movable padding strip to the other side, but the neck cradles really don't allow that kind of movement. So, it's either padded on the treble side, or loose. The pocket (to hold picks and maybe some batteries for your tuner?) is really small. The backpack straps come in a zippered bag that matches the case interior. (I did not unpack those.) The case came with a pair of keys for the lock (TSA type, I assume). So, a decent, sharp looking case, but I couldn't get over the headstock tuner pressing into the foam when it was just sitting there.

Plan B is packing the Eastman in the Airloom case and crossing my fingers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8196.jpeg 
Views:	281 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	201469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8197.jpeg 
Views:	246 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	201470  
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

17. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Ok, today I got a replacement, and it was a yellow fiberglas case for a mandolin. But, pretty sure it's going back.

The case seems reasonably well made. Lid fits just fine, latches are solid, padding and lining appear as I would have expected. But, it doesn't fit my mandolin very well at all.

The extra strip of liner/foam is necessary to keep the mandolin from being completely loose in the case, which is odd, but it's still not a great fit, and especially around the headstock. I think it's too tight, but someone might convince me otherwise. I thought maybe I could move the [re]movable padding strip to the other side, but the neck cradles really don't allow that kind of movement. So, it's either padded on the treble side, or loose. The pocket (to hold picks and maybe some batteries for your tuner?) is really small. The backpack straps come in a zippered bag that matches the case interior. (I did not unpack those.) The case came with a pair of keys for the lock (TSA type, I assume). So, a decent, sharp looking case, but I couldn't get over the headstock tuner pressing into the foam when it was just sitting there.

Plan B is packing the Eastman in the Airloom case and crossing my fingers.

This is an interesting one.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I've had problems with Caltons, Pegs, Northfields and Crossrocks... TKLs, Guardians etc... never had a Hoffee but they look great. Still, I'd prefer not to be spending $1000 on a mandolin case. My Gator suits me just fine!

20. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Remember the Modern Case Company that made custom cases for all instruments including mandolins? Heavy duty soft foam cases made in the U.S of A. They were lightweight, bombproof, fit like a glove and very high-quality but, unfortunately, went out of business a decade or so ago. I talked to the owner about two months before they closed their shop and he told me they just no longer could compete with the cheap and poorly built Chinese imported cases.

Quote Originally Posted by My Gator suits me [I
    just fine[/I]!
    I have a couple of Gators, along with a couple of other cases which appear to be built by Gator, or whoever builds their cases. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I would say that the Crossrock guitar (D-size) cases are a bit of improvement over them, but not by much -- maybe a bit stiffer. On the other hand, the Crossrock mandolin cases are a lot stiffer than any of my other "regular" mando cases. And both are the lot easier to locate on a shelf full of forty or fifty other cases. MOST importantly, the color (bright yellow) matches my Wrangler

Al

Just got a message from the marketing director from Crossrock and the Carbon Fiber mandolin cases will be available buy December this year.

I recently went down this rabbit hole (see here) and found that I just couldn't get the crossrock a/f fiberglass to fit any of the 3 A models in the house (Collings MT, Breedlove American, and Kentucky KM-276). It had to fit in some odd angle with the extra kind of holding it in place. If/when I get an F (kind of looking now), I'll probably try again as they seemed well-built enough. However...it wasn't something I'd fly with if there was even the slightest risk of having to check the case. A TSA lock does not mean it's a flight case, it just means that TSA (or anyone else who has a TSA key) can get into the case without breaking it. It was a decent case with some features I liked (subway handle, color choices, decent latches, reasonable weight), but when I fly my Collings goes in a Calton.
    Collings MF (2004)
    Collings MT Gloss-Top Wide Neck (2015)
    Breedlove American OO (2013)
    Martin 000-18 (2016)
    Guild D-35 (1976)
    Paramount Style A (1927)
    Vega Little Wonder (1916)
    Ibanez AVT1NT (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    I am assuming they do not make cases for a Gibson K4 mandocello... right?
    I am worried about air travel and looking at Calton. I do not want a TSA or flight attendant to say "Sorry, no carry on" and see my soft bag go on a cart.
    ... Advice?
    First, a Crossrock is not constructed to survive commercial airline baggage handling. Carry your K4 in a nice gig bag. Keep the warmest, non-threatening smile on your face as you calmly explain to any airline employee that attempts to thwart your carrying it on that FAA regulations state that you may carry this item on and place it in the overhead, and that is what you intend to do...but in the most polite, matter-of-fact manner you can muster. Also, always carry the instrument low and in front of you, holding it against your body. It's the guy with the instrument strapped on his back, with the neck sticking up above his head that gets their notice. Then...have tears at the ready if it comes to that. I have flown for years with musical instruments and have never been denied carrying them on.
    too many strings

We own 5 Crossrock cases. I think they represent great value. They've kept our mandolins, bouzouki, and guitar safe through 3 years of gigs, Ren Fests, Pubs, etc.
    The Good:
    -Arched Fiberglass provides good crush protection
    -Price (more on that below)
    -Lightweight
    -Comfortable handles and back pack option
    -Colors look good and also you can opt for a color that collects less sunlight.

The Weird:
    -The blue interior is an upgrade from the red. It's not always available or reflected in price. The Red interior is a bit sloppy.
    -Price. We just bought my wife a Crossrock for her Martin D15. The mint blue exterior was $409. The silver case was $279. Other than exterior color the same exact case. We went with silver. I got my mandolin case for $190. I've seen the same exact case for $280. So getting value requires a little persistence.

They're not flight cases or for bouncing around in the back of truck with huge PA systems. If you look for the best price, they are great gig around town/travel in your car case.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

27. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

After lugging my Calton around a Mandolin camp, I bought a CrossRock fiberglass case in order to have something a bit lighter that provides decent protection for my instruments. CrossRock didn't have the case in yellow that I ordered, so they emailed me and we agreed on a white case - because of the change in color, they knocked some $$ off the purchase and threw in a CrossRock daypack. The case arrived today and my initial impressions are similar to those expressed before. It appears to be well made, with no problems with lid closure. The latches aren't Calton quality, but decent. Nice padded straps are included for over the shoulder or backpack style carrying. Handles are well made. The lid stays open at 90 degrees. Bumpers on the back, side and the butt, with a "grab & go" handle at the headstock area. The weight is a relief, compared to the Caltons. The accessory pocket is tiny, but a pack of strings will fit in the headstock area.

With the extra padding, my A5 fits snugly, with the Tonegard on. An Ellis 2 point doesn't fit very well with the padding removed; the only thing keeping it in place is the padding over the central neck and the padding at the tailpiece, with about 1/2" clearance around the majority of the body. I have doubts about the case fitting an Style safely because of the narrow headstock compartment, which measures only 4 3/4" wide. Given the photo in post #109, I have visions of damaged F5 headstocks, similar to what was seen with earlier Caltons. Fortunately, I don't have that problem at the moment (no F5's).

This is a big step up from an Eastman fiberglass case, and I plan to use it with my A5, for travel where the risk of sending the case to the luggage hold is minimal. I'll give it 4 stars, but will keep looking for alternatives.

I just ordered an orange one from Crossrock that came in yesterday. Initial impression is good. It's a well-built case. Not a flight case, as stated above, but a step up from my Golden Gate and tweed plywood cases, for sure. Agree that the accessory pocket is pretty small. My Kelly A-5 fits well with the extra padding and my Rigel CT110 fits even better without the additional padding. Nice weight, the latches work well, and I like the backpack strap option. This will most likely replace my Reunion Blues gig bag for carry on plane use.

Oh, but I didn't get a great deal. I clicked on the one they had linked in the classifieds for $149, but it was snatched already. I think their asking price is still reasonable for the quality, especially with supply chain issues and inflation, so I bit. Oh, and I like that the orange stands out.
    Chuck

There's a lot of consistent feedback here. I just ordered and returned a blue one. Almost a keeper but for my F5 Girouard, each time I took it out of the case or put it back in, I had to fiddle with the bass side tuners to get them in the space provided. Also, the bolster they provide to take up extra space works but it's something I knew Id grow tired to getting in place each time I put the mandolin back in. It appears to be well made, is attractive and the latches are good but it wasn't a complete good fit. I did not try my A5 as it works so well in the used Calton case I picked ups a few years back. I should have in the interest of a complete review. Sorry about that
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

I was impressed with a friend's Crossrock mandolin case, it has held up well for her over the course of several years.

I recently purchased a conventional Crossrock plywood case for my J50, it needed more protection than the original soft shell case that it came in.

I like the looks of the new double mandolin cases being offered by Crossrock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossrock 1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	539.4 KB 
ID:	204509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossrock 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	695.4 KB 
ID:	204510  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Has anyone had a chance to try the new "better fitting" F style cases that Crossrock just released? Would love to read an in-hand review to see if they truly fixed headstock scroll clearance and body fit issues.

I assume that is what I have. I bought it within the last couple of months. I use the extra foam pad, and both my Pava F5 and Paganoni fit great; tightly enough that I have to work the strap just right - that’s with the tone guard on. No wiggle, looks sharp, and the latches and backpack straps work great. It has the usual handle and one on the top (head), which is a handier-than-you-would-think feature. Sure, if I was going to check a case, I’d fly with a Calton or other true flight case; which is why I use a Calton for my banjo and our guitarists does for his - those seem more likely to be rejected, though the law is actually that they are required to let any “small instrument, like a violin or guitar” in the overheads; we did have a flight attendant on a recent flight complain about his guitar being allowed onboard, but he made it. It’s hard to imagine having to check a mandolin or fiddle, since they aren’t any bigger than most carryon bags; so, my wife and I have the new style Crossrocks for those and have been very happy in the RV and on a couple of flights with them.

34. The following members say thank you to TX2AK for this post:

The *newest* one just came out within the last couple weeks and doesn't require the extra foam pad...the inner padding is specifically designed for F-5 style mandos, and apparently there is more room in the headstock area to avoid scroll/tuner bumping. That's the one I'm curious to hear an in-hand review of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-style-new-case1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	208829

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zmando85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zmando85 View Post
    The *newest* one just came out within the last couple weeks and doesn't require the extra foam pad...the inner padding is specifically designed for F-5 style mandos, and apparently there is more room in the headstock area to avoid scroll/tuner bumping. That's the one I'm curious to hear an in-hand review of.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-style-new-case1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	208829
    That looks good to my eyes.