Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Default Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I wrote to see why and they replied that the ones on Facebook have defects, like blems.
    And there you have it... thanks for the update Jim! Still kind of marveling at how much Crossrock got right with the most recent release of these cases. I guess they could have a bigger storage pocket, but there is always some sort of compromise when it comes to a hard shell case.

I just now checked the Facebook link shown above and the price is $219 at this moment. Anyway, I have this case (Fiberglass, CRF1000MAF) in black and it is excellent.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I had a Superior fiberglass case, and there were no feet to keep it from falling over when set down on floor (treble side on floor). Is the Crossrock stable in that position?
    Russ Jordan

I’ve wanted a hard case for my Northfield Calhoun but don’t want one built for an arched top. Anyone have any experience with a Crossrock case with a flat top mandolin?

Well...Crossrock canceled my Facebook order this morning. Messaged them to find out why. I also noticed the bumped the price up $219.

Something quite suspicious going on. It would be highly unusual to sell seconds without marking them as such. It also appears these are all direct sales from the company, not like one dealer is undercutting another.
    I still don't know where you find products on FB. The Marketplace is more like Craigslist.

Also if you look it up on their store it's $209. I'll be corresponding about that too.

I guess Amazon is probably safer. FWIW the prices fluctuate there too. I got my white Crossrock for $180ish and my silver was more like $200.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I had a Superior fiberglass case, and there were no feet to keep it from falling over when set down on floor (treble side on floor). Is the Crossrock stable in that position?
    Hi Russ... my case arrived with an extra "carrying strap" around the headstock which did prevent the case from standing upright on the treble side. As I didn't see myself using it I removed the strap and the case now stands upright on the treble side resting on 2 rubber feet and 2 metal hinges - not as stable as some other cases, but fine for my needs. That's something Crossrock could improve on for sure... that and a larger storage pocket.

So bottom line is this: the strap on the headstock will make it necessary to rest the mandolin on its 3 rubber feet in a flat position. No problem there. There may be a way to get it to rest upright on the treble side by repositioning the strap, but I just took mine off.

If you order on Amazon make sure you order the Fiberglass A/F style case... NOT the ABS plastic case... that is a different case altogether. They appear to be out of red and yellow at this point but still have some in black, white, silver and blue.
    Last edited by Glassweb; May-05-2021 at 11:13am. Reason: providing additional information

10. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

My Crossrock silver fiberglass case arrived today and I took some photos as I unboxed and looked her over. Here are some photos of the case:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossrock.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	193971
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossrock1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	193972

Name:	crossrock2.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	193973

Name:	crossrock3.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	193974

Name:	crossrock4.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	193975

Impressions: The case is well-made, good fit and finish, it has 4 latches, feet on the bottom (as it rests on my table), the end, and the treble side of the case (where the hinges are). The storage compartment is small, but shaped so that my string winder fits inside. It didn't fit the compartment in the TKL that Collings furnished for my MT. The case itself is roomy. It came with backpack straps and a piece of padding covered in the same red fabric as the case's interior. It was well-packed and boxed. I can share a few unboxing photos if anybody cares to see them.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sheila Lagrand For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Hi Russ... my case arrived with an extra "carrying strap" around the headstock which did prevent the case from standing upright on the treble side. As I didn't see myself using it I removed the strap and the case now stands upright on the treble side resting on 2 rubber feet and 2 metal hinges - not as stable as some other cases, but fine for my needs. That's something Crossrock could improve on for sure... that and a larger storage pocket.

My case must have taller feet or more low-profile hardware. It stands securely on its feet on the treble side; the straps and hinges don't make contact with the floor.
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,

14. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

That's exactly what I ordered. Looking forward to it. Should be here Friday.

Received the black fiberglass case. Returning it. Reasons:

- Not a snug fit for F-9 I tried it with. The included 'pillow' does not adequately address this deficiency, imo.
    - The headstock scroll touches the side of the case.
    - 5 latches. Overkill.

I like the feel and lightweight aspect. And it's a handsome case.

ymmv.

Here is Crossrock's response on why they cancel my Facebook Store order (I ordered yellow):

This case has been out of stock .
    What’s worse, due to continuous rising cost of raw materials, the other CRF1000 series cases has been suspended. we have no choice but to revise all our prices again this month. Hope you can understand. And there are just 2 black , 2white and 1 silver in stock now.
    I guess they will be restocked next year.

I ended up ordering a silver from Ebay.
    if you are thinking about one of these, you might want to make the leap now,

18. The following members say thank you to d18daddy for this post:

Here's my review. Love it! OK, the spacer/pillow is a bit weird but with old Gibson oval A's out there I get it. My mandolin would work without but is really snug with. May try Velcro.
    The latches are to die for. I've tolerated enough cheesy ones. The material is first rate. But the rubber lid closer system is just great. Makes a great seal. Huge amount of clearance for the bridge. When I see the imprint of the bridge in the top of a case it's an instant no sale. This has an inch or so with the Tonegard in place.
    Sits upright nicely, the leather handle at the top is a nice touch, and I got 4 latches which seems just right.
    There's been a need for a mid-price quality case and this fills the bill. I wish I would have had this option when I was building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossrock.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	194023  
    Last edited by Jim Hilburn; May-06-2021 at 2:39pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by d18daddy View Post
    Here is Crossrock's response on why they cancel my Facebook Store order (I ordered yellow):

This case has been out of stock .
    What’s worse, due to continuous rising cost of raw materials, the other CRF1000 series cases has been suspended. we have no choice but to revise all our prices again this month. Hope you can understand. And there are just 2 black , 2white and 1 silver in stock now.
    I guess they will be restocked next year.

I ended up ordering a silver from Ebay.
    if you are thinking about one of these, you might want to make the leap now,
    Interesting. The fiberglass cases they are offering on Amazon are now CRF1020 series, priced at $235, and in stock on June 2: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08TBW8K...n_0_title&th=1

EDIT: A few colors are in stock now, priced at $210 or so, but still with the new model number.

Here's my review. Love it! OK, the spacer/pillow is a bit weird but with old Gibson oval A's out there I get it. My mandolin would work without but is really snug with. May try Velcro.
    The latches are to die for. I've tolerated enough cheesy ones. The material is first rate. But the rubber lid closer system is just great. Makes a great seal. Huge amount of clearance for the bridge. When I see the imprint of the bridge in the top of a case it's an instant no sale. This has an inch or so with the Tonegard in place.
    Sits upright nicely, the leather handle at the top is a nice touch, and I got 4 latches which seems just right.
    There's been a need for a mid-price quality case and this fills the bill. I wish I would have had this option when I was building.
    I agree that the case is nice... but damn Jim, that mandolin is even nicer!

23. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Here's how an F peghead fits.

Name:	Crossrock F.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	194031  

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Nice fit!
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Blog Entries

Beautiful looking case (and mandolin) but with reference to post #38 it does not look like the distal end of the head stock is well supported? This could subject it to damage if the case is dropped? Maybe the photograph presents an illusion -- but whatever that is an important consideration. I would be tempted to put a ball of socks under the head stock before closing this case?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Perfection is hard to come by. I'm going to try not to drop it.
    Maybe they tried it with a short neck oval. The socks might be a good idea if you were going to fly with it.

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

FWIW, I emailed the company and inquired about buying a couple of extra rectangular pads. They were accommodating--2 more of the long, velvet-covered rectangular pads were $13 shipped.

Just realized it will do this. Probably best to be right there with it but could be nice when your standing in a line or something.

Name:	crossrock on tail.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	194034  

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Beautiful looking case (and mandolin) but with reference to post #38 it does not look like the distal end of the head stock is well supported? This could subject it to damage if the case is dropped? Maybe the photograph presents an illusion -- but whatever that is an important consideration. I would be tempted to put a ball of socks under the head stock before closing this case?
    So here's my take on the whole headstock thing... the neck of the mandolin is held securely in place as it rests in two, padded, U-shaped notches. The larger scroll on the headstock comes right up to the padding in the headstock compartment which has about 3/4" of plush, fabric covered padding. So with the case cover closed and the mandolin help in place by other padded and fitted areas I do not see how the headstock could be easily damaged... even by dropping the case from a height onto a floor. I mean sure, I guess something could happen, but my case is used to store my mandolins or travel by car to a gig. And I agree with Jim about the latches... these are high quality and perform beautifully. And I love the fact that my version has 5 latches... makes the seal that much better for when it rains. As Jim says, "perfection is hard to come by"... but for me this case is purty-near perfect and, for the current price, perfectly wonderful.

Even if money were no object I would choose this case over the premium-price cases because of its lighter weight, compact design and superb quality. I hope Crossrock dials things in even better in their next update to this case and really "standardizes" the design so the models are truly consistent in terms of their features.

33. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

My case of choice for the last 20 years was the one Stew Mac sold for about 10 years. The same basic thing is still available as a Gator but it's not nearly well appointed as what Stew Mac offered.
    I was and still am convinced the only thing a Calton would out-perform it on would be a car running over it. And also a Calton will last longer which is why I need a new one. But one was $65 and the other was $500, now $800.