Thread: NMD: NOS Kentucky

Default NMD: NOS Kentucky

Well, this was kind of an impulse purchase but I'm rather impressed. I found a NOS Kentucky KM-254 on Reverb, offered about $100 less than asking price, and shop owner gave me a gig bag and strap button for total price a smidge more than $400, not including tax.

It's pretty and MAN is this a better Kentucky than the ones I used to see around in the 80's and 90's (note: I never played a top-end Kentucky in those days or since, just what you'd find at a local music store, not in Nashville or Lansing.)

I wanted a beater, traveler, leave it in the car and I'm not worried about it getting stolen mandolin and I'd say this fits the bill. It does not have the "whomp" chop of a used Eastman 505 I briefly owned, but the Eastman (let it go bc of narrow neck) had been played for years, so we'll see.

Neck is comfy and beefy, though a smidge more "v" than I like, and the lower strings have a nice tone. It's not loud, but that's actually proved kind of nice for practicing in my home office room.

Two last comments: the headstock inlay is beautiful, for this level of mandolin, and finally, I am surprised how much difference I feel in large frets (on my other mandolins) vs the small frets on this one. I'll get used to it, it's fine, but didn't think I'd notice it so much.

We truly live in mandolin paradise times when you can buy an all-solid wood mando that looks nice for less than $500 and also have a thousand options of builds from there on up.

These options were so much rarer just a few decades ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kentucky.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	193906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	193907

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rnjl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD: NOS Kentucky

That's a pretty nice mandolin! You should probably worry about it. Enjoy!

Looks nice. Headstock inlay, fancy binding and solid woods for $500. You're right, we're really spoiled for choice.
    Hope you enjoy it!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I would be surprised if the headstock were inlayed. At that price it is likely a thin overlay. If you look at it from the side you will probably be able to see a slight change in thickness. It is pretty though.

Blog Entries

rnjl, I love Kentucky's and I would encourage you to join the Kentucky players owners group I started several years ago. I am not a current owner, but I am big fan and I love your NOS A5. It is beautiful! Congratulations.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"