Thread: New builder questions

Default New builder questions

Howdy folks,

Hoping for some advice on building A-style mandos.

I usually build flat-top guitars, but I have recently strung up my first Loar-style "A" mando in the white and I am very pleased with the results (I haven't had a chance to compare it to any high end instruments yet, you see ). I am keen to build a few more (dang, this stuff is addictive), but after reading up on various models, I am a bit lost in mando shapes. There's the "old style" A, then there's the smaller modern takes on A-styles with an altered body to place the bridge closer to the centre and there's also the Unicorn mandos that seem to have developed a small cult following and appear to have the smallest bodies, even if compared to, say a modern Collings (and I just happen to have some cracking Doug fir in the workshop that should be enough for at least a couple Uni tops).
    By the way, what's the body depth on the Unicorns?

Is there a big effect from these body changes, or is everything pretty much down to the top voicing?
    I intend to upgrade my moulds from the bare minimum that I used for my first mando, to a more professional set-up similar to the stuff I use for guitars. Making moulds takes time, money and space, so the big question is - should I set up for, say, Loar-A and the Unicorn, or just roll with one shape and invest the freed-up time into, say, a mandola mould?

The other question relates to the neck woods - maple is traditional, but am I likely to encounter any problems (broken headstock joints?) if using less dense woods? I'm drowning in mahogany and cedrella, which are my go-to choices for guitar necks, but have no spare maple stock in the right size.

Thank you very much.

2. The following members say thank you to Roman Kuznetsov for this post:

Default Re: New builder questions

Hello Chavez, I am a newbie on the forum too. There is a wealth of info in the Cafe archive. I think properly selected mahogany is a good choice for mandolin necks.