Thread: Tremolo shoulder

Default Tremolo shoulder

I've been working on getting a solid, sustained, smooth timed tremolo, after years of using quick tremolo embellishments, which were easy. I practice to strummachine.com, metronome and use some excellent exercises from Sharon Gilchrist.

I'm getting there, but my practice sessions end when the trapezius cramps up. I'm working on posture. I know the action should not come from shoulder--tell my shoulder that!--and someone at a workshop told me to try holding a Sharpie* and, oddly enough, that helps a little. It also helps to play standing up. But it's a constant battle.

I figured I'm not the first person with this problem. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated. I do planks, so my shoulder isn't weak. Should I drink more?

*actually told me to use a guitar slide, which would work for larger hands

Default Re: Tremolo shoulder

It is not a strength issue. If you approach it that way that is part of the problem. It is a relaxation issue. Before you start, consciously relax completely. This works better if you are sitting. And in front of a mirror can help. First use a strap if you don't already. Make sure it is adjusted so it holds the mandolin in position without you holding it up.

Then before you start to play set down, straight with good posture with the mandolin hanging, forearms on your thighs. Then drop your shoulders, relax them completely along with your neck. Then let your elbows drop completely relaxed. Then your wrists, hands and fingers till everything is relaxed completely loose. The mirror can help to see if you are tight anywhere.

Now start to play. If you feel yourself tensing up or awkward then stop playing and go through the whole relaxation routine again.

I never got to the point of cramping but found this helps me a lot with smoothness and speed. My wife has had problems with left finger tremors when starting to play. This has helped her with that.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

I'm going to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    It is not a strength issue. If you approach it that way that is part of the problem. It is a relaxation issue. Before you start, consciously relax completely. This works better if you are sitting. And in front of a mirror can help. First use a strap if you don't already. Make sure it is adjusted so it holds the mandolin in position without you holding it up.

Then before you start to play set down, straight with good posture with the mandolin hanging, forearms on your thighs. Then drop your shoulders, relax them completely along with your neck. Then let your elbows drop completely relaxed. Then your wrists, hands and fingers till everything is relaxed completely loose. If you feel yourself tensing up or awkward then stop playing and go through the whole relaxation routine.
    Also lighten the grip on your pick. I find that applying just enough pressure to not drop the pick helps everything relax.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

First,this is how I play tremolo : hold your right hand like your gripping a pick and in the position like you play. Extend your index finger out.now wave your wrist up and down like your tremolo,,notice the movement of your fingertip,,this is not what you want.now move your wrist more into line with your forearm and keep it fairly stiff,now shake your forarm,don't wave it,shake it,up and down in tight effecient movement,up and down like a quarter of an inch total movement,,notice how fast your fingertip is moving,,this is a tremolo..I loosen my wrist a little when I pick single notes,,I will try to post a video of this is very plain to see the difference....now shoulder pain : almost all of your playing is from the elbows out to the fingers,not the rest of your body,,the mandolin is small and people tend to crunch up their shoulders when practicing,easy to do,causes chest compression and tension headaches from tight traps,,especially if your really wailing on the instrument,,keep your shoulders thrown back and be aware of your neck tension,,also if your looking at the fingerboard to much,the mandolin is canted and you have to bend your neck down,causes tension,,learn to play with good posture and keep it straight and get used to looking at side dots instead ,your neck has less pressure on it...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

If I’m understanding this and visualising it correctly, are you saying the arm really does have an important role to play in tremolo?

It always seemed to me that it should, because if you think of cracking a whip, it’s that small movement at the handle end that makes that loose tip travel so fast.

So if one keeps a super-loose and pick grip and dishrag-loose wrist, a slight bit of arm can get the whip action started and then gravity does a lot of the work instead of having to consciously force the pick back and forth with pure wrist action.

One of the things I have found challenging sometimes is transitioning smoothly from playing single notes to tremolo in the middle of a passage.
    A little trick that helps me is to actually start thinking of the tremolo early, as if I’m starting it with an upstroke (“and-down”) to get the motion started.
    It’s like a golf swing, where a little trigger motion — a “waggle” — makes it easier to start.

9. The following members say thank you to Gina Willis for this post:

Cindy 

When I'm tremoloing,,my hand is barely moving and almost one with my forearm,the movement comes from the forearm as a "tight shaking motion",,fast,,only 1/4th inch up and down barely,,will have you buzzing like an insect...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

CarlMCindy 

These are all worth trying. For now I'm concentrating on the stop-and-relax-restart advice. I'm seeing how lightly I can tremolo the strings and still hear myself and stay relaxed. I increase volume until I tense and then start over. I'm working on one open string at a time, then alternating. I also do the same thing with one phrase over and over (Intro to Lonesome Moonlight Waltz for now). It may be working. But what is driving me is that the tremolo sounds Soooo much better when I relax!

I found I was unconsciously clamping the neck with my left hand whenever my right hand got busy, and it really didn't help.

14. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Cindy 

The other thing to consider is that tremolo motion can be different depending on context. If I'm playing Ashokan Farewell, the tremolo is going to come almost entirely from my wrist, but if I'm playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown, I am going to use a lot more arm.