Thread: Lakota mandolin straps

Default Lakota mandolin straps

I have a Lakota Leathers mando strap that is woven and it stretches after it gets warm, even in the winter time from body heat. Does anybody use a solid leather strap from Lakota and does it stretch also? Thanks!

Default Re: Lakota mandolin straps

I have Lakota straps on two of my mandolins. It seems for me, there is an initial stretch when I first play it, but after 15-20 minutes (if I am standing) it seem to fully stretch out. I have not tried their solid leather strap so I can't help you there, sorry.

I will say I do like them, NFI.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

I have the solid bison for both banjo & mandolin...very soft, very comfortable, no stretch.

I have one braided that is very light and a bit stretchy. I use this on a soprano ukulele which is obviously so much lighter and it works fine but I don’t think I would like it on a mandolin. On my mid-mo, I have the bison flat unbraided I think it’s about 1+” wide. It’s comfy yet sturdy. Also have a couple of the flat 3” Lakota guitar straps. As far as braided straps go, my fav is a Bailey strap which I have on my Breedlove A. It was a bit stiff at first but it softened fairly quickly. I’ve had it now for probably 7-8 years and it still looks, feels and works great.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I have 2 Lakota straps as well; one round braided and one plain flat strap. I don't feel as though either has stretched at all. I can say, the plain flat strap feels a little longer than the braided one though.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I have a braided Lakota leather strap, but I usually play sitting so I haven't noticed any stretching. I use it in an A-style, so mandolin weight may play a part if you use it on an F-style.

Mine’s a flat braid, elk. Never noticed any stretch.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I have enjoyed several Lakota straps but no stretching issues.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I have both braided and flat, the braid “gives” slightly, the flat one not at all. Love them both…need more mandos…
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

10. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

The round braid I have gives or flexes slightly, but no stretch. The flat A style ones don't move at all. Really like them both.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

12. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I use a Lakota round braid. The only problem I have is keeping it hooked on the tailpiece pin. The leather is very thin and wants to come off the pin. The first one I had ended up tearing at the strap hole, but Lakota replaced it under warranty.
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

I use a rubber washer as well. The leather is strong but soft and can easily slip off.

I had the same problem. The D'addario strap locks solved the problem. Its a low cost but effective solution. Here is the link: https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...cks/dual-lock/

Or get a six pack of Grolsch beer and get 6 washers for free. Tea totalers can find something similar in the hardware store.

I have a Lakota guitar strap. It does not stretch but it does shed. I'll find little bits of leather on my shoulder.

Hey Guys.. Kenny here from Lakota... so sorry that anyone is having any issues at all.. but if you are.. just remember.. ALL Lakota straps are unconditionally guaranteed for life.. so if you ever have any issues, please contact me and we'll make it right.. guaranteed! Thanks much for your continued patronage and support!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lakota Leathers For This Useful Post:

I don’t want anyone to construe my comments about Lakota straps as criticism. I not only have several but have given them as gifts to my kids. They are my favorite straps. Super soft and comfy from the get go (no break-in period), don’t slide around on my neck/clothes, strong and durable. I’ve had mine for many years and they are just as good as when I first got them. Because they are soft they can slip off the end pin but I never trust any strap to stay on unassisted. Sometimes a new stiff leather one will stay on tight for a while, but as soon as it breaks in, it can start to slip.

A little late to this but I recently got a braided Lakota strap for the F-style (Eastman) that I [re-] started picking on about a month ago.

It's also a bit soft at the endpin end of the strap, so I got a neoprene washer at the ACE Hardware store around the corner. 7/16" center i.d. (And, yes, you can buy a 10pack of something like it for a few bucks on Amazon or use Grolsch bottle cap seals, but this is simpler and faster for me - hardware section, $0.69ea).

Anyway, lovely strap, and I always like having "strap locks" on any instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7058.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	195291
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I have a braided strap and a solid leather (3/4-1 inch wide; not home to measure) one. I haven’t had major issues with either stretching, but the braided one could slip off the end pin after a few months of use without a lock. I now use it on my Rigel CT-110, and it’s quite secure on the pickup jack/end pin, which is larger than standard. I’m also able to leave it on the end pin in the case, so less wear in general. Agree with the lock suggestions above.

The solid leather one is soft but firmer, so suspect it’s less prone to stretching than the braided ones. But, I haven’t had issues with either. Love these straps!

I have a braided flat and a braided round.Both have a comy give but not a real stretch. I love them. So much so, that I bought straps from them foe my dobro and a guitar.

I've got at least 6 or 7 Lakota Leathers straps on various mandolins, mandola, mandocello, and guitars. The only one that stretches is my flat braided elk hide strap with a loop to go over the scroll and flat piece with various holes for the tail button attachment. The end piece with holes for the tailpiece button has stretched so much it comes off the Waverly button sometimes.

I doubled that flat section over, aligning the holes and sewed it together using an awl. Works much better now.

I just want to put my 2 cents in about Lakota Leathers. I wrote to Kenny about a slight problem and the response was outstanding, well exceeding my expectations. But when I read about the About page on their website, I became convinced that this was a business I want to support.

When I need another strap, I will come to them first.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I have two round braid Lakota straps and I’ve never noticed any stretching. Couldn’t be happier with them.
    Living’ in the Mitten