Thread: Looking for information on older F5 style mandolin

Default Looking for information on older F5 style mandolin

Hi!

I just joined the forum after spending some months repairing this handmade F5 style mandolin I bought online some months ago. It had a bunch of issues and turned into quite a big project.

I have setup, modified, repaired and built guitars for years, but resetting a neck and rebuilding the neck joint extension on a mandolin like this was another level of complexity. Without this forum and the Big Red Books of American Lutherie I would not have had been able to resurrect it, so I want to thank you all for this resource that the forum is.

I am writing here hoping that someone might know who the builder of this mandolin is. It is a bit rough around the edges, but it really does sound very good and seems to be very well built with good wood selection and care for a lot of details - but for the life of me I cannot make out what name is on the headstock...I am sure it is some decades old at least.

Does someone here recognize the name on the headstock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 mandolin headstock (2).jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	591.6 KB 
ID:	193977
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 mandolin headstock.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	193976  

That guy playing mandolin

Default Re: Looking for information on older F5 style mandolin

While you wait for the expert mandolidentifiers to come out, I suggest you upload a couple of pictures of the body of the mandolin so they can see more of its construction, as that can help them identify another builder working under a new name or things like that.
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.

3. The following members say thank you to Reywas for this post:

It appears to say "De Fina" on the headstock, to my eyes.

Pictures of the body front and back would be helpful. My first impression would be a one off or a kit but there are folks here that have known the builder.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you so much for the responses! Here are some more photos. The dovetail joint extender is new (the old one was 2 pieces that was floating loosely underneath the fretboard - this one is fitted tightly), and so are the point protectors as the original ones were missing. I still need to match the color of the joint extender and fix a top crack that was previously super glued without aligning the two sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08248.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	194015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08250.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	194016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08252.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	194017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08253.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	194018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08254.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	194019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08255.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	194020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08256.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	194021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08257.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	194022

I think it might say De Fina on the headstock, but it is a bit hard to make out...hmm...

Looks pretty amateurish workmanship to my eyes. Could be a one shot deal. Do you recall where the seller was you bought it from? Sometimes these things don't travel too far, especially if this person might have made it for his own playing. In this person, Frank De Fima's obit, it mentions "Frank’s love of guitars, mandolins, banjos and all types of music in general were also high priorities that added a unique contrast to his corporate persona." Of course, that is a long shot. I have a feeling that the name is not too uncommon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Interesting! It sure could be a one off build made by someone who played it him or herself. It is a long shot, but it might be so!

The binding isn't all that well carried out, but it has shrunk quite a bit so it probably looked a bit better when it was just made. It sounds a lot better than it should as rough as some of the details are. Full, round and very responsive. Who ever built it knew how to make it resonate just right. The top seems a bit thin so again it could point towards someone not that used to building mandolins.

I found this homepage which might not be completely accurate: http://howmanyofme.com/search/ According to that there are 600 people whose surname is De Fima in the U.S.

I have a feeling it must have been in disrepair for some years before I bought it. The seller was in New Jersey, so maybe the Frank De Fima in the obituary lived there before working for that last company in California.