Thread: Consistency and comfort...

Default Consistency and comfort...

OK, so I've been playing mandolin for a while to a high level. My issue is that every time I sit down to play I can never get really comfortable at the same time as having good tone and playing clearly. I'm finding the general thing very unnatural... I practice ALOT so that's not necessarily the issue. I could compare this to guitar where you can sit down and play tons of stuff comfortably with a good sound and happily walk away knowing if somone asked you to play somthing technical you could easily do it. I don't know if anyone can relate to what I'm experiencing but I have to say it's rather demotivating and would really appreciate some help...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Consistency and comfort...

Can you be more specific? For instance, what do you mean “to a high level”? Also, you seem to be saying that you are unable to get “good tone” and to “play cleanly”. Do you mean that this is the case at every speed? Perhaps you do not like the tone of your particular instrument. Perhaps you are playing too fast and have taught yourself to play sloppily. It’s impossible to guess the problem(s) from the generalities you’ve written here.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

More questions arise: How long have you been playing guitar? How long have you been playing mandolin? Have you had a chance to play any other mandolins besides your Eastman 315? Have you had any experienced players or luthiers check the setup on your instrument?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Posting a brief video clip of you playing, where we can see both your right and left hands clearly could be helpful.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

also, there's the question of ergonomics -- how are you sitting? What are you sitting on? is there something in the way you hold the instrument that makes it uncomfortable to play or is there some sort of barrier -- for instance, being female, I have to hold the mandolin to avoid certain body aspects -- that is interfering with your comfort? Do you have a foot up or crossed that is affecting your back? Do you use a strap and is it placed comfortably? Also -- are you comfortable playing standing up but not comfortable sitting down?
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Your body is goin to inform , effect how you may comfortably play a mandolin. Always use a strap whether standing or sitting. Always keep the instrument in the same position relative to your body. Make doubly sure that position is relaxed and comfortable. Some players achieve this position sitting without a strap but putting their foot up on something, Experiment, there are also some good video instructions on this issue. Here's one http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagoBQunZI R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...