Thread: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Default Does my mandolin sound cheap???

I was reviewing a training video on YouTube of Joe Walsh giving instruction of a song. I noticed the sound his mandolin makes is quite different than mine. His sounds more like he's picking (thumping) strings on a wooden box. Also, the ring of his strings seems short and does not make a big statement (my words). In comparison, my mandolin seems loud and shallow, and the ring of the strings seems much longer than his. I'm wondering what you think about this comparison? Below are links where I have provided a short snippet of Joe and me playing a similar part. Note that I have only been playing for six months.

Brad: https://youtu.be/AJztIKYgZ40

Joe: https://youtu.be/_lRKU_jVcTI

I have no idea about his equipment. My equipment is as follows:

Mandolin: Weber Gallatin
    Strings: D'Addario EJ73 Phosphor Bronze 10 14 24 38
    Pick: Hense Cream Speedy 1.4mm

Thanks in advance for any analysis and advice you can provide.

2. The following members say thank you to Uncle Brad for this post:

Default Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Sounds like 25+ years of playing (and a $20k mandolin) vs. 6 months of playing (and a $1500 mandolin) to me....I think he is playing his Nugget in the video.
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

4. The following members say thank you to Chris Gray for this post:

It is mainly due to to the fact that he is a really great mandolinist playing on a super great mandolin.
    On your end, your picking is a tad timid.
    I think you might only be plucking one of the strings in each pair.
    A great deal of the tone of a mandolin comes from a solid pick stroke through the pair of strings.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Try using a rest stroke. As you pluck the note, push your pick inward and stop on the next string. That will bring out the best tone on your instrument.
    Look at the video, you are only playing on one of the strings instead of two. Only one string is vibrating.

8. The following members say thank you to Eric L for this post:

I think your mando sounds just fine. I would agree with the previous posters. Don't be afraid to pick a little harder. It will come along with practice and confidence!
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

10. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Don't forget that differences in recording methods can make a big difference too.

12. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

I also associate Joe's tone with heavier picks as well, such as a Pro Plec 1.5mm.

14. The following members say thank you to joh for this post:

Blog Entries

OK.... Well aside form the fact that the question is just like, "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" I noticed something right off that would affect the tone of your playing.

You're striking the strings with the flat of the pick. So what you're often getting is 2 note separated by milliseconds which will create a 12-string guitar kind of sound (though the two notes are the same rather than an octave apart).

What you can do is angle the pick so that it strikes the strings with more edge than flat. This will drive it through both strings in each pair more cleanly, and you'll get a single fatter note.

Watch how Mike Marshall addresses the mandolin with his right hand. He hits the strings at an angle rather than flat to the pick. This allows him to cut down the time difference between the two strings in each course, and he gets a cleaner, fatter, single note.

Perhaps not what you were looking for, but I think it might help get you where you want to go.

Daniel

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

Hi Brad,

I've just seen your video and have a couple of observations to offer. First off - you have to realise that Joe K Walsh is an exceptionally accomplished player, with many years of experience behind him! And, with 6 months behind you, your fingering looks pretty good from the clip, including good use of the pinkie.

Regarding the tone, as others have already pointed out, you seem to be "tickling" the strings with the pick - just touching very lightly with the pick, and mainly only hitting one string of the string pairs. Driving the pick through both strings will effectively double your volume. Also, you're only using downstrokes, but that could just be in this particular short clip.

Just one other thing - you mentioned that you're using J73's. I think you'll find that an arched-top F-hole mandolin will sound much beefier with J74's. The Weber Gallatin should be able to handle J74's with ease.

I remember a few years ago I was given some 10's to try out on my F5. They lasted about 30 minutes before I took them off and replaced them with my usual J74s. All the beef, richness and volume disappeared as soon as I put on the 10's, and reappeared when I when I put the J74's on.

Hope this helps! Keep picking, and enjoy the journey with that Gallatin - they're a nice mandolin!

John

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny60 For This Useful Post:

Some credit for the quality of Mr Walsh's recording may also go to the quality of his recording setup and the long experience of the ears 'producing' it. Having said that, Joe may now post that he recorded it on his phone and posted it as it was...

20. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

The main differences I'm hearing are you having newer strings and probably a less sophisticated recording setup. Now, even if you had the same setup, your mandolin would still sound different than Joe's for the reasons mentioned above. There is nothing wrong with what you have. You could happily spend years playing that Weber professionally. It is an excellent instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

22. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Way, way more experienced mando players than me here chiming in but yeah...you do have light strings on as opposed to mediums which will make a difference and yeah it does appear on the single note licks that you're playing that you're only picking one of the strings as opposed to going through them and plucking the pair at the same time.

Good luck!

24. The following members say thank you to mondoslug for this post:

Another detail to work on…you are only using down strokes in the video. Learning full up/down pickin technique will change your tone too.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

26. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Hi Brad,

No, I don't think your mandolin sounds cheap. Weber makes nice instruments and that one should satisfy you for quite a while as your playing progresses, especially when you consider that the next step up will run you several thousand. Most beginners start with much more basic instruments than yours.

You've already gotten several good suggestions here (isn't this a great place!). I would echo that as long as your Weber is well set up, it will sound fuller with medium gauge strings without being harder to play. One other subtle difference (beyond the fact that he's playing a world class instrument) is that Joe isn't playing phosphor bronze strings, which does affect his tone. You have a very nice mandolin and a great teacher. All that's left is practice, practice, practice (and then practice some more)

28. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

As a kindred mandolin beginner, I'd like to add that your practice of attending to the details when listening and watching other people play the mandolin will serve you in good stead.

Random thought: I wonder how many of us are in AZ?
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

30. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

This is 100% the correct answer!!! :

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Hi Brad,

I've just seen your video and have a couple of observations to offer. First off - you have to realise that Joe K Walsh is an exceptionally accomplished player, with many years of experience behind him! And, with 6 months behind you, your fingering looks pretty good from the clip, including good use of the pinkie.

Regarding the tone, as others have already pointed out, you seem to be "tickling" the strings with the pick - just touching very lightly with the pick, and mainly only hitting one string of the string pairs. Driving the pick through both strings will effectively double your volume. Also, you're only using downstrokes, but that could just be in this particular short clip.

Just one other thing - you mentioned that you're using J73's. I think you'll find that an arched-top F-hole mandolin will sound much beefier with J74's. The Weber Gallatin should be able to handle J74's with ease.

I remember a few years ago I was given some 10's to try out on my F5. They lasted about 30 minutes before I took them off and replaced them with my usual J74s. All the beef, richness and volume disappeared as soon as I put on the 10's, and reappeared when I when I put the J74's on.

Hope this helps! Keep picking, and enjoy the journey with that Gallatin - they're a nice mandolin!

John

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

Your mandolin sounds fine. Agree that you may be just picking one string. I would imagine Joe is using 11-40 guage strings, not to mention the high value mandolin. I'd say strings is the quickest fix. Use 11-40 phos bronze and that will fatten up the sound.

34. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Thanks Barry!

36. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Sounds like years of experience, if you don't get the sound you want then I'd advise you to just take an in depth study of what you are doing with your right hand and work on getting the sound you want out of your instrument, a good player can get at least a decent sound out of anything and you seem to have a good mandolin so working on your right hand should be able to get the sound you're looking for, I'd start by playing a little harder.
    Hope that helps,
    -Ross
    Just a dude with a mandolin.
    rossdoesbass.com - my website

38. The following members say thank you to Rossjcw for this post:

Also, you can change your tone by drying different pick materials, thickness and shape, as well as the way you are attacking the strings.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

40. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

As mentioned by Montana Matt it appears you're only playing downstrokes. Try practicing a four note half scale using down up down up. For instance start on the D note (3rd string open) and work up to G and back down to D. Slowly and rhythmically. Much like a fiddle player's motion with a bow. Once you feel comfortable playing the half scale move up to the full eight note scale. This will require you to switch to the second string then back to the third string, again maintaining down up and solid rhythm. Then try this with other scales, arpeggios, etc. It should become second nature fairly quickly. Playing downstrokes only will hinder your progress IMHO.
    Different strings, picks, etc all part of exploring your instrument. Enjoy the ride.
    And I think your instrument sounds just fine. Certainly a quality mandolin that will take you a long way.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

42. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

John Suhr, who makes awesome electric guitars, has a pretty great quote, something like: Most tone problems can be cured with practice.

Tone is an ongoing journey, and you’re at the beginning of it. Email Joe and ask him if he’s satisfied with his tone. I bet you he says he still tries different picks and doesn’t feel he’s quite there yet. Ask Adam Steffey the same thing, etc...

Enjoy the journey, and as suggested above, try some thicker strings.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

Let's not forget this gem

There's plenty more good authorities providing advice on the tubes, as well
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

46. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post: