Thread: Loar Case Handle Restoration Inquiry

Default Loar Case Handle Restoration Inquiry

Greetings, the 20s G&S MasterKraft Loar mandolin cases I see online in various photos have the handle replaced with a utility handle or the handle is missing. The nickel plated straps with incised borders supported by the D-Rings seem unique to these cases? Is there a restorative cure for the broken handles out there in Cafe' land? Anyone crafting repros fitted to the original straps? How to fabricate a replica? TIA Sam

Default Re: Loar Case Handle Restoration Inquiry

Steve Kirtley does visit this site but his Facebook site is where you will get the most interaction on this sort of matter.

3. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

The handles were used on things other than mandolin cases as well. Luggage and cases for horns come to mind. Nick is pointing you in the right direction.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Question Re: Loar Case Handle Restoration Inquiry

I got a strap on replacement handle for my 90 year old case .. 2 kinds; depending on the ring orientation on the case..

Was in Paper catalog from a music store supply company ..

it was many years ago ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

About three years ago I found a leather craftsman that could make very nice replica leather handles for the old Gibson and other cases. I was able to help out quite a few collectors and everyone seemed very pleased. Several ended up on original rectangular Loar cases as I recall. I sold all five dozen of the first batch in a few months. When I asked for more unfortunately the price was much higher, almost $37 plus mailing and I thought they might not be wanted at the new price plus I needed to order another five dozen. As I was doing this just to help other collectors and not as a business I didn’t pursue them further. Here is a link to the previous thread with photos. If there is enough interest I could approach the maker again. They are very nice handles.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ght=Lynch+case

Mark
    Mark Lynch

7. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Mark,

I would definitely buy one at the $37 plus mailing price. I need one for my circa 1920 Vega case, and didn't act quickly enough when you last offered them. Have been kicking myself ever since. Now all we need are another 59 interested vintage mando pickers!

Greg

9. The following members say thank you to Vega CB for this post:

These handles on the Loar cases are leather with metal ends but without a metal reinforcing strip inside. When the leather ages these handles break. I think I've seen only one Loar case with the original handle. I've seen the same handle on earlier violin cases. There were companies that specialized in manufacturing handles, so Geib & Schaefer obviously ordered a deluxe handle that they thought was fitting for their most expensive instrument case.

I've built a replicas. It's a lot of work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010020.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	854.2 KB 
ID:	194154

11. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Name:	Geib & Schaeffer 1924 Case Handle 2.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	194188 This photo depicts a broken Loar case handle and the unique straps that appear to be riveted to the multi-layered leather handle. It seems these straps would be required to replicate this style of handle. How to remove and replace the rivets?

Blog Entries

You should be able to take some pliers-needle nose and widen the metal D rings, they'll come right out. Please don't take out the whole ring bracket on a Loar case!!!!

As Will says, there is no need to remove the rivets. The ends of the D rings that are covered by the metal strap are not welded together so you can easily spread the D-ring open to unhook it from the strap. Click on the link in posting #5 above to see some pictures of the procedure. A set of inexpensive snap ring pliers makes spreading the D-Ring open easier, a padded slip joint pliers can be used for closing the D-ring once the new handle is in place. Sorry I don’t have any more handles to send you.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

If you are going to use the old metal straps to build a new handle then the D-rings are only part of the issue. You will need to remove the rivets that attach the metal straps to the leather. They are peened over. It may be necessary to drill them out or grind them off. You may not be able to reuse the rivets, so will need new ones. (If you assemble the leather and metal straps of the new handle directly onto the D-rings you can avoid removing the D-rings from the case.)

I started from scratch and created my own metal straps. I used sheet nickel silver, available from a craft supply house. I cut the part to shape and pounded an arch into the top portion, to resemble the originals. The originals have a line around the edge but I didn't try to duplicate that. The good thing about sheet nickel silver is that it can be polished to a finish that will match the other nickel plated parts, and will save an expensive trip to the plating shop.

Here's a close up of one of my metal straps.

Steve

Name:	Handle strap 2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	194199

16. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Here's a handy tool for opening and closing the d-ring:
    https://www.amazon.com/Satco-90-099-...11478968&psc=1
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

18. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

I have to admit, I just placed closed pointed-nosed pliers inside the D-ring- and opened them up carefully and the ring opened easily.

All

Good news! I soon hope to have some more leather replica case handles like the ones I posted about in reply #5 above!
    I know some of you were looking for some earlier in the year.
    I’ll place an ad in the classified when I have approved the samples. The price increase was less than I feared.

This is not business for me, I’m just happy to get good replacement handles on some old cases!

Best,
    Mark
    Mark Lynch

21. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Great Mark! Thanks in advance for working on this.