Thread: Howard Frye

Default Howard Frye

Really enjoy listening to Howard Frye play the mandolin on his album Gypsy Mandolin. What a great talent he was playing his Gibson Snakehead A Junior mandolin.

Did Howard have any other albums? I would like to find more of his recordings if available. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Howard Frye

I love the Gypsy Mandolin album -- some great playing and great tone. I'm not aware of any other albums, so I think it's a one-off. I seem to remember that his iconic Ajr came up for sale on Ebay a few years ago, but I don't know where it ended up.

Martin

Yes, a very fine player using a very modest instrument. I recall that when it was advertised some members here were worried that John d'Angelico might have compromised its market value by departing from the original specs when he worked on it. Hmmm.

Plucked String Disc in 1984 released an album titled Howard Frye: A Memorial Album 1920-1967.

5. The following members say thank you to jelhai for this post:

He also made this LP of all classical mandolin music. https://www.worldcat.org/title/howar.../oclc/11352647

I digitized it many years ago if it's unavailable.

7. The following members say thank you to Eric L for this post:

Very good! Thank you so much for the help! I will have to see if I can find the other albums.

Thanks, Eric and Jelhai. I think you're both referring to the same postumous album, so there is only one not two missing ones. According to Eric's Worldcat link these are live recordings between the late 1950's and 1967:

Bizzaria caprice / C. Munier (6:59) -- Two pieces for balalaika / Golz/Frye (6:53) -- Bells of night / L. Paparello (3:59) -- Valse fantastico / E. Marucelli (6:52) -- Marziale : op. 113 / R. Calace (9:04) -- Folk song : East European doina (3:35) -- Israeli folk song (3:30) -- Capriccio spagnuola / C. Munier (7:22).

Martin

He was associated with the New York Mandolin Orchestra and may have played some solos with them. His widow played with NYMO when I played with them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Aye, I also digitized the classical LP years ago. Odd for me, I actually like the gypsy album a little better.

Did Howard use his Gibson Snakehead A Junior on both recordings? Or did he have another mandolin? I am curious to the whereabouts of his Snakehead A Junior. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan1 View Post
    Did Howard use his Gibson Snakehead A Junior on both recordings? Or did he have another mandolin? I am curious to the whereabouts of his Snakehead A Junior. Anyone know?
    Not sure who bought it (or indeed whether it did sell), but here is the discussion on the Cafe when his A-jr came up for sale in 2006, for an asking price of $6,900 -- rather ambitious, even if it was customised by John D'Angelico: Link

Also posted on the Cafe a few years ago, here is a Howard Frye live recording, from the NYPR Archive Collection. Sounds like a klezmer tune, but no title is given:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/tribute-to-howard-frye/

Martin

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Awesome! Thank you for your time and information!

16. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

<Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Dec-06-2022 at 6:32pm. Reason: Violates forum posting guidelines