Thread: Battle of Evermore

Default Battle of Evermore

I am a long time classic rock guitar player who wants to get a mandolin. Everytime I hear LZ's Battle of Evermore I want one. I want a decent mandolin and I want all solid woods. I want to keep it at $800 or less. I have been watching YouTube videos to try and narrow down the multitude of choices. I stumbled upon this website when researching certain models. I have been looking at the Eastman MD315 * MD305 * MD505. I am open to any brand. Here are some questions/concerns. I have read that the only difference between A & F mandolins is all the ornamentation (making A mandolins the better bargain) ... that the sound between the two is extremely close. True/False? What about the glossy versus satin finish? I read that the satin is more open sounding. True/False? I have heard many mandolins on YouTube and I want one that rings out without being ice-picky and has a little depth to it. Lastly, I have an acoustic amp and would that work well for a mandolin, or would you need more of a small PA?(this part is for later on) Actually one more question... what pickup would you suggest for a mandolin that's not overly expensive... or would you not advise it at all? Thank you in advance to any who reply.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Battle of Evermore

I seem to recall that Jimmy Page wrote “The Battle of Evermore” on a Martin A that John Paul Jones had picked up, and such mandolins are both made of solid wood and occasionally available around your budget:

https://reverb.com/item/40437277-100...atural-a-style
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blind test I am not sure anyone could tell the difference between and A and an F. You are just as likely to find as much difference in sound between the same model. Take 10 Eastman 305's (or pick one) and play them all. there would probably be one or two that stand out, one or two that may not be as good and the rest pretty close. Eastman and Kentucky make really good mandolins and not just for the money. As you mentioned you can get more for your money with an A over an F, used can be a good option. Someone may get a mandolin to try and not stick with it or find that they like it and upgrade. More recent import models are thought to be better than older ones. so all things equal I would be looking for something fairly recent over one 10-15 years old. Finish would be as much how thick it is rather than shinny or matt. The Eastman 305/315 seem to have a thinner finish than higher models. One suggestion right now would be to call The Mandolin Store. the are going to be getting in some The Loar blems. I would let them know when you are looking for and ask for their recommendation. They carry Eastman as well so could compare. A mandolin from most any of the site sponsors will come setup which is nice.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...d-instruments/

I also would not overlook mandolins from a small shop. Once in a while a used mandolin will come for sale and be a bargain and you might have to increase the budget a couple of hundred dollars. A few to look for are Nashville Flatiron mandolins especially from 1998-2001, Lafferty (most are private label from Summit mandolins for The Mandolin Store), Ratliff country boy, Silverangel and possibly a USA built Breedlove to name a few. Sometime it will take a gamble and leap of faith but you can find a deal once in a while.
    With a mandolin setup, strings and picks can make a big difference in playability and sound. Good luck in the search you should be able to find a good mandolin with your budget.

There's a couple of good clips of Jimmy playing this on a Gibson A model. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUiy...nel=UBOOTMANIA

To me it sounds perfect on an A style oval hole. I learnt it on a Gibson A model I had, and it sounded just right. It doesn't sound like that on an F-hole mandolin. Here's my attempt:

https://youtu.be/M8bhmDPT0NU

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    There's a couple of good clips of Jimmy playing this on a Gibson A model. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUiy...nel=UBOOTMANIA
    That's not Jimmy.

6. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    That's not Jimmy.
    I did wonder! But thought it looked to be the same mandolin the (definitely the real) Jimmy is playing here:

https://youtu.be/M8bhmDPT0NU

Thanks for the clarification The imposter does a good job!

@Bazz Jass I thought you did a credible job playing BOE. @everybody else.... In my ongoing search for a mandolin I am understanding more of what it is I want to hear. Some of the mandolins have a very ukulele sound to them to my ears. Very plunky sounding. I want (as close as I can) sort of an 8-string version of a 12-string guitar, but with mandolinesque tones. I want it to ring out more like a 12 string does with some of that fullness. I am also willing to raise my budget up some to 1K. Now having said that... any suggestions? Also any comments on adding a pickup to a mandolin... for or against?

9. The following members say thank you to alecstar for this post:

Maybe a Gibson oval A? Some should be within your expanded budget, if refinished or new bridge, etc.

I don't have any useful thoughts on pickups.

A snippet of Jimmy #3

D.H.

Playing on the porch

I discovered the mandolin four years ago and bought an Eastman 515. It costs about what your expanded budget would accomodate. I did have a KNK pickup installed, but have seldom used it. I do like the Eastman, play it quite a bit every day and am really glad that I got such a nice instrument to learn on. I'm an old violinist and that is the reason I gravitated to the mandolin. Have fun!

If you want a pick-up, you're going to be adding a significant installation charge to your budget. You might want to check out Eastman's MD604 or 605, which come with a K&K. The 604 has an oval soundhole, and the 605 has f-holes. They both list for $1,200, but generally retail below $1K. I've never played either one, so I can't comment on their tone. Since you "want one that rings out without being ice-picky and has a little depth to it," you may prefer an oval hole model of whatever you end up buying. Eastmans generally have a 1 3/32" nut, which is a plus or a minus, depending on how you feel about a nut that narrow.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

When I read the op’s post, I thought it was mine! The same questions I would have asked.
    I received my Eastman MD505C about a month ago, sight unseen. I’m very, very happy with it. It came set up perfectly.
    I’ve always bought a little “higher” than I originally wanted to.
    My mom used to say, ‘pay once, cry once.” It depends if you are going to be dedicated to the instrument, rather than just trying out to see if you like the mandolin.
    I’ve been practicing Battle of Evermore on a daily basis. I might not be a very fast learner, but it’s really coming along well.
    I’ll never be a Jimmy Page, but if I can progress and and be happy with that progress that I’ve made, then I will have accomplished my goal.
    Can I give a shout-out to Elderly, and thank them? A very nice company to deal with.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Here's my duo's version. And yes, it's a Gibson A, 1917 I think.

Couple of brief notes. This was Patti's idea - the whole EP, pretty much - and though I knew the song, I'd never played it before, not to any knowledgeable extent. So I had to dial it up on the youtube and figure it out, right then and there. Came out pretty well, I think, considering. Patti sings both the Robert Plant and Sandy Denny parts, harmonies and all, obviously, thanks to the magic of technology.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

If I had $800 to spend on a mandolin, I would, without a moment's hesitation, get this one.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/197671#197671

Learn to play it, then worry about a pickup...
    too many strings

It wouldn’t play for me, but I’m on an iPad.
    I’ll check later on my computer. I’d like to hear it.