Thread: Shipping expenses from Ireland?

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Default Shipping expenses from Ireland?

Someone here would know: how much additional expense would I incur in purchasing a musical instrument from Ireland, to be shipped to me in the US? I'm considering an octave mandolin, with an estimated cost of around $4200 US. Would VAT, shipping, and US customs put the overall cost right through the roof? (Extra credit for reassuring responses . . .). Thanks! -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Default Re: Shipping expenses from Ireland?

You shouldn't have to pay VAT. I had an octave shipped from Ireland and the cost was reasonable.

Check carefully to see if it is coming from The Irish Republic or Northern Ireland. Since Brexit happened over here in the UK the Republic is still in the EU but Northern Ireland, as part of the UK, is oursdie the European zone. There have beens serious peoblems with the movement of goods since then.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Paul Wheeler

Good point, John. The instrument would be coming from the Republic, most likely Waterford or Cork. Thanks! -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Is the seller familiar with shipping instruments to the US? Here's some info on paperwork. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ping-to-the-US
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Check carefully to see if it is coming from The Irish Republic or Northern Ireland. Since Brexit happened over here in the UK the Republic is still in the EU but Northern Ireland, as part of the UK, is oursdie the European zone. There have beens serious peoblems with the movement of goods since then.
    John,
    The business I work for does some engineering and manufacturing in Shannon, Clare, and holds most inventory there and generally ships to Aberdeen (and back) via NI, sometimes via Liverpool.

We also used England as a land bridge for consolidated truck shipments from Ireland to EU and Norway.
    Somewhat less so now that Cork-France routes have greatly increased capacity and frequency.

It was chaotic in January for all these scenarios, as expected, but has gradually improved.

None of this should affect direct sales to the USA from either RoI or NI.
    EU or UK is pretty much the same in that regard.

the buyer will be eligible to pay USA duty, if applicable, and perhaps local sales tax, inspection charges etc.
    the seller should be able to give you a quote on actual freight costs (air freight usually) but local taxes and clearance are often too variable for a foreigner to estimate.
    Bren

7. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Paul Wheeler

Thanks to all for your insights. My seller does have some experience in shipping to the US, and indeed I'm awaiting his estimate, and have zero reason to think he might mislead me. My posing the question here, with his estimate pending, was prompted actually by my momentary panic over reading somewhere that additional duties and fees might amount to as much as 100% of the instrument's value over a certain threshold. (My research had led me "into the weeds" and fine-print over transactions that may be totally irrelevant to the intended product, country of origin, destination, etc.) Hoping, when the dust settles, that Eric F is right! -- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by twaaang View Post
    momentary panic over reading somewhere that additional duties and fees might amount to as much as 100% of the instrument's value over a certain threshold.
    In the UK, importing an instrument from USA usually adds around 50%, by the time all charges (taxes, duty, shipping, clearance handling charges by the people who paid the taxes and the duty etc).

It almost never saves you anything on buying from a reputable local dealer/retailer in US instruments. (and that dealer will provide extras such as local service, set-up and after sales follow-up)

However, I've heard that in reverse, the charge are not so onerous.

Your best bet is if the seller can quote you some examples from his experience of selling to USA customers or even put you in touch with some of his customers in USA who can tell you first-hand.
    Bren

10. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post: