Thread: The Dawg Leash

Default The Dawg Leash

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/170818#170818

Curious if anyone (DG excluded...) uses this.

- If one takes both hands off of the instrument, how does the mandolin hang? Parallel to the floor? Tilted up or down?
    - Does it place the instrument in the same position as if it were traditionally strapped?...I wear the strap like a guitar.
    - Over prolonged use (say > 1 hour), does the strap around the neck become uncomfortable?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Dawg Leash

I'll lead with the disclaimer that I do not use this, nor have I ever gotten to like using a strap that didn't go around my neck. It always felt unsafe, not secure enough (it would slip when not engaged by my left hand, pointing toward the floor), and was thus distracting. I'm sure you can appreciate the gravity of the situation. Also, this seems a bit pricy.

But I will say, one of the best straps I've ever used was made from a dog leash. I picked up a standard nylon leash at a yard sale for a dollar - about a yard or meter long, 3/4" or 1.5 cm wide, with a wrist loop at one end and a metal clip to attach to the dog's collar at the end. I cut it to size (thereby removing the clip as well), folded that end over a bit of insulated wire and used Krazy glue to make a loop to hold the wire in place, and fashioned a loop out of the wire to go around the end pin. The wrist loop slid over the scroll. Very easily done. In fact, this is what was on my late, lamented F-12 when she was stolen.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I’m curious as well. As a former tenor and alto sax player, this seems like it would feel like home. Of course, I’ve only got A styles and a 2 pointer at the moment, so it’s moot presently, but I know I’ll have a F style again someday (probably after I get both kids out of college/grad school a year from now)...or maybe one of those funky Giacomels...
    Last edited by CES; May-09-2021 at 8:18pm.

I used to play a Roberts Tiny Moore mandolin that came with a hook meant for a sax strap, which I used. i thought it was great.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Just yesterday I saw a video of a banjo player using a bungee strap for a banjo strap.

Saw Dawg live a few years back and his mando appeared to be nicely balanced with The Dawg Leash. I was thinking about getting a sax strap and trying it myself, but I’m mostly playing my A instruments, so later maybe. And though the cost might seem high, they’re probably small batches, and you’d be supporting a legendary player.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Question Re: The Dawg Leash

I use a Uke strap .. or Mariachi (Willy Nelson's) guitar strap , on my Djangolin
    it's top is the right thickness & it has a oval sound hole
    I used the same one on my travel, pocket, mandolin , also a round sound hole

the strap loop goes over your head the hook into the sound hole, comes around underneath ..

David was saying he used a strap, before in the same way Bill Monroe did
    just over his right shoulder ,

.. so He didn't have to take off his Stetson hat.

Maybe for David it was his hair,
    or just did it like that because Bill was his hero ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sax straps are over your head too, & a Saxophone, particularly one with a voice in the baritone range is a lot heavier .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/170818#170818

Curious if anyone (DG excluded...) uses this.

- If one takes both hands off of the instrument, how does the mandolin hang? Parallel to the floor? Tilted up or down?
    - Does it place the instrument in the same position as if it were traditionally strapped?...I wear the strap like a guitar.
    - Over prolonged use (say > 1 hour), does the strap around the neck become uncomfortable?
    At $60.00 the Dawg Leash was too rich for my blood, so I use my own version of this design/idea. A sleeping bag strap which comes in a pack of two for around $5.00 form the local camping & sports equipment store.
    Very comfortable, balanced, and does not become uncomfortable in prolonged sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
    At $60.00 the Dawg Leash was too rich for my blood, so I use my own version of this design/idea. A sleeping bag strap which comes in a pack of two for around $5.00 form the local camping & sports equipment store.
    Very comfortable, balanced, and does not become uncomfortable in prolonged sessions.
    I sprung for the Dawg Leash after using a "mock-up" which I pieced together. I have been using The Leash for about a year or better. Works very well. Less "intrusive" than the standard over-the-shoulder set up. And when I switch to guitar, I don't have to remove the mando strap -- I simply remove the loop from the scroll on the mando. I also don't have to remove my hat when I want to put the mando down for a cup of coffee, though it does make for a rather peculiar "neck tie."

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    I also don't have to remove my hat when I want to put the mando down for a cup of coffee, though it does make for a rather peculiar "neck tie."
    I think that's why the hat-wearers began to sling the strap over the right shoulder. I much prefer the 'leash' style now, as there are several advantages, including the ones you mentioned here.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

Smile Re: The Dawg Leash

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	208310

Light as mandolins are, it would still hurt my neck, due to historic issues, but I could see it working with a harness arrangement, like some marching drummers use in pipe bands etc.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Light as mandolins are, it would still hurt my neck, due to historic issues, but I could see it working with a harness arrangement, like some marching drummers use in pipe bands etc.
    That could be of concern. There is nothing wrong with my neck, but it did take a week or so to get used to it -- it wasn't painful -- it just felt "strange."