Thread: Ferrules for a Kalamazoo KM-11

Registered User jascime@yahoo.com's Avatar

Default Ferrules for a Kalamazoo KM-11

Hello there - I recently completed the restoration of a KM-11. It was a complete basket case when I received it years ago, but is looking pretty decent now with all of the bracing and crack repairs.

I have five original ferrules and am wondering if it is worth the effort to chase down three more. Of course, I also have eight new stewmacs here, and some old Kay ferrules that have a brassy tint. Both the stewmacs and the kays would require enlarging the holes. The stewmac are also *slightly* larger in circumference, so it seems to be an all or nothing situation.

I'm not terribly concerned about the impact on value, as this one is going to my dad on long-term loan. But once you enlarge the hole, the options are changed forever.

What would you do if it was yours?

Js

Default Re: Ferrules for a Kalamazoo KM-11

I'm sure a repairman somewhere has what you need in a parts bin. Maybe they will see this and contact you.

I would keep the originals and improvise on the other three in the meantime with something made into a thin sleeve to cushion the wood. The problem is that it has to be very thin. I have made such sleeves from hollow metal miniature paint brush handles, for example. Sometimes, thin plastic can be used from a margarine tub or a ball point pen cap cut down. No need to remove wood, IMHO.

Good luck!

Registered User jascime@yahoo.com's Avatar

Thanks for the input - gives me something to consider! In fact, I think your idea would work, but in a reverse manner. The outside diameter of the replacement ferrules is too large - absolutely have to enlarge the existing holes to install. But I think I could 'shim' the enlarged holes with a sleeve of veneer if I was able to find originals down the road. Or plug and rebore.

I was actually suggesting using the originals and not enlarging the existing holes. I don't see any need to remove wood that has been there for 90 years.

You could also saw one of the stumac that are too big. Use a jewelers saw and cut one fine cut thru the ferrule, hopefully it should then crimp and be small enough to fit. Put the cut on the top away from where the tuner shaft will ride. You can also use plastic that was used to wrap products for sale, the stuff comes in different thickness and will cut with a scissors and wrap around the shaft and do the same thing. I keep this stuff when I open something for many different uses.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'd just use the Stewmac's. By the way, that was a common hardware store part that you might be able to duplicate at an old hardware store. The keyword is old. It's part of a grommet. I'm sure Gibson didn't have those custom made or anything.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber