Thread: Kentucky KM-1500 (Amazing Deal)

Default Kentucky KM-1500 (Amazing Deal)

I haven't posted on this forum in quite some time, but just had to share this news. For years, I have wanted to upgrade my mandolin and have always had my eye on either an Eastman 615 or a Kentucky KM1000, 1050 or 1500. Eastman mandolins are easy to find in Canada and I have quite enjoyed them, but I have always heard great things about the higher end Kentucky models. The only place to buy them though that I know of, is on Amazon Canada.

Anyway, the price of a KM1500 here in Canada is in the $3000-3200 range. That's what it's also generally posted at on Amazon. A couple of years ago, the price on Amazon slowly kept dropping until it got to $1600. I waited one more day to purchase it to see if it would drop further, but unfortunately someone else bought it before me.

Fast forward to a month ago when I noticed the price dropping again for the first time since I had lost out on that deal. It started at $3200 and got all the way down to $1700. I didn't wait this time and bought it immediately. I am not sure how this happens on Amazon but I just scored a KM1500 for half the price that they go for new! Definitely beyond excited.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty18 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kentucky KM-1500 (Amazing Deal)

Congrats!

Awesome deal. Congrats! I have a KM-1050 and love it!
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Good find! I have a KM-950 that plays above it's pay grade. It is a keeper.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Congratulations! I was watching the same one and wondering whether a cafe member snagged it. I got my KM-950 the same way, watching the price drop and snagging it when it got too good to wait any longer. In the past I have seen Trinity College bouzoukis go down to ~$500 Canadian (when they were in stores for $1300) and I got a TC octave for around that.

By the way, the price always shoots back up once someone claims one, and it did again this time. I was thinking about clicking 'buy now' on the 1500 the other day after watching it all week and my heart sunk when I saw it had gone back up to $3440. HOWEVER...I checked this morning and the price had gone down to $1723. It is taking all of my willpower not to pull the trigger! (I am haunted by the times I have hesitated and missed out, like when a KM-DAWG came up for 2K and I did not grab it instantly.)

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    Congratulations! I was watching the same one and wondering whether a cafe member snagged it. I got my KM-950 the same way, watching the price drop and snagging it when it got too good to wait any longer. In the past I have seen Trinity College bouzoukis go down to ~$500 Canadian (when they were in stores for $1300) and I got a TC octave for around that.

By the way, the price always shoots back up once someone claims one, and it did again this time. I was thinking about clicking 'buy now' on the 1500 the other day after watching it all week and my heart sunk when I saw it had gone back up to $3440. HOWEVER...I checked this morning and the price had gone down to $1723. It is taking all of my willpower not to pull the trigger! (I am haunted by the times I have hesitated and missed out, like when a KM-DAWG came up for 2K and I did not grab it instantly.)
    Haha I just saw that as well! I contacted Amazon to see if they would honour that new price since I just bought it two days ago.

And it's gone. Thank goodness, I was not going to be able to resist after I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. I would for sure have clicked 'buy now' later this evening.

Though there is still one left...wonder how fast the price will drop on that one.

I heard a wicked good sounding Kentucky the other week at a gig I played. I thought it was something other than Kentucky but when I saw it I was wrong, it sounded great.

Good score. Played one just before shutdown and was this close to grabbing it. Unfortunately, it was used and had too much wear for my taste. Really good sounding instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Scotty, What a great price for a top tier Kentucky! Great reputation with those KM1500’s. Way to go!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I've noticed this price difference too. Problem is I don't need another mandolin. Good for you!
    Cary Fagan

I've noticed this price difference too. Problem is I don't need another mandolin. Good for you! I'd love to hear a report after you receive it.
    Cary Fagan

Who was seller? Is it frequent to find a mandolin on Amazon? Never thought of searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    I'd love to hear a report after you receive it.
    +1
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Thanks everyone! The seller was actually Amazon, not a third party so that part made me confident. I will definitely report back. The only downside is that it will need to be set up so I hope I can get in to a luthier, but Covid here in Ontario is still out of control and many businesses are closed.

Amazon is indeed an odd place to find these items but a few years ago, I scored a Trinity College Bouzouki for $600 and they go for $1200-1300 new here in Canada. It looks like Vetus Scotia above scored a similar deal so they do happen, you just have to wait it out. I actually had to wait a good two years to see the KM-15000 drop again after the first time I missed out!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty18 View Post
    Thanks everyone! The seller was actually Amazon, not a third party so that part made me confident. I will definitely report back. The only downside is that it will need to be set up so I hope I can get in to a luthier, but Covid here in Ontario is still out of control and many businesses are closed.

Amazon is indeed an odd place to find these items but a few years ago, I scored a Trinity College Bouzouki for $600 and they go for $1200-1300 new here in Canada. It looks like Vetus Scotia above scored a similar deal so they do happen, you just have to wait it out. I actually had to wait a good two years to see the KM-15000 drop again after the first time I missed out!
    Congratulations! You can do the setup. No need to wait for a luthier. You can do it!

I have never been at the point of not needing another mandolin. I need just one more, when I get that all I’ll need is one more

19. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

The remaining KM-1500 in stock on amazon.ca was back up to $3434.32 for the last few days. It just dropped to $2247. Not sure I will even try to resist if it goes down to $1700 again. I thought playing my KM-950 would cure the MAS, but it just reminded me how great these Kentucky mandos are!

Congrats!!

I just today tried a 1500. It's MIJ from the 80's, had lots of things broken and repaired and, ok, not particularly good sounding compared to ones at Dusty strings like the one thread we had last year, can't remember the Japanese builder's name but he left it after Wintergrass. But lots of mojo
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Picked up a Km 256 from Amazon Canada last fall for around 380.00 . It came with gig bag and pretty-much set-up ..VERY nice mando and very playable . BUT I returned it as I already owned a new-ish Km -150 that actually sounded better ...more warmth ,more bottom end and louder . Congrats