Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

Exactly. I feel the same way. As can be seen quite clearly by the picture of my player. I am most likely going to be sinking some serious bucks into getting her spruced up, if my luthier is willing to put in the time and effort. I love the way she sounds, and I'm beyond reluctant to search for another in better shape. I'd rather bring her back, restore her to something more like her former glory.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

The story I told in post #6 - that guy's technique and his guitar sounded awesome. A real wow factor on both accounts. The guitar looked like a beat up old Martin, without a headstock decal, and I had to ask about it. I was a bit stunned to hear it was a new build and distressed. My thoughts were that surely this dude had worn out some instruments in his time, why buy a poser guitar? But I'm certain that he wouldn't give two damns about what was in my mind at the moment. He was very happy about and proud of that new custom guitar and its big sound, and he certainly knew how to make it sing.

To each his own.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Let's combine this discussion with the talk about torrified woods, turn on the blender and see what trouble I can start.
    Move over JB and Tim. The corner is about to get more crowded. I'll bring my own beer (Canadian lager is my drink of choice)
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Gnann For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Ah, yes! I like a good cold Moosehead. I used to go to a monthly potluck/hootenanny, and our hostess-who-was-the-mostest loved the stuff. Would often provide a case. I'd often bring the same, if I didn't feel like cooking. Indeed, she had a big stuffed moose head displayed prominently near the entrance, mounted above the staircase. Quite a sight! Not sure which came first, but I think it was the stuffie. And once she discovered the brew it was all over.

I must say, I find all this talking about distressing quite distressing. And off I go. Put a case on ice. The weekend is here already.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Ed, you forgot to mention having a chew in your cheek.
    Last edited by Denny Gies; May-14-2021 at 9:18am. Reason: Addition

Man, I would sure love to have one of these pre-Gibson-first-restoration Bill Monroe F-5 replicas!

From Dave Harvey's Facebook page about 4 years ago: "This a tribute mandolin project that started with Ricky accidentally breaking off the peghead scroll off his Skaggs model, distressed Gibson F-5 mandolin. We are thrilled with the results, hope you like it! It looks, and sounds 94 years old!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ricky Skaggs Distressed F-5.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	194144  

journeybear, I'd get those cracks fixed for sure on that beautiful teens plain A. The finish can wait and it does have a certain gravitas the way it looks now. No distressed mandolins come with cracked tops as far as I know.

9. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks. Yeah, she came with that scraping and short crack above the soundhole I mentioned. The crack near the bridge happened on my watch. It's the most pressing issue. I hope my luthier doesn't try to talk me out of it as being not cost-effective. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it and him, but if it can be done, 'twill be done.

Getting a new instrument to sound and play like an old one is something I am very much in favor of. Stefan Grossman talks about that in this video.
    https://youtu.be/2vhlTABmKh4

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    What do you think of antiqued or 'distressed' instruments? First, I'm very happy for anyone to do their own thing and have their own preferences. However for myself, I prefer to see wear and tear I put on an instrument myself, with 300/200/100 or whatever years of fiddlers' wear (or none) before me. Done well, of course it's a high level skill on it's own, and I can see that a 'bench copy' of a valuable instrument can be a very useful thing to have for day to day gigging and preserving old instruments - I hear there are a quite a number of orchestral string pros who do that now. But on the electric guitar side of things it does seem to be getting a bit silly when e.g. exact copies of Rory Gallagher's famous Strat (with more Gallagher worn authentic bare wood than varnish) are turned out in their hundreds. I suppose the acoustic equivalent would be a copy of Willie Nelson's nylon strung with the hole worn right through the top. What do you tell your friends about why you bought one of those? I do own a couple of lightly distressed Chinese workshop violins now, just because they were better value than other options and came with it well done (no more 'cufflink marks' under the strings, where no cufflink ever hit a fiddle). However I'd be very happy to look at and play instruments that look what they are, absolutely new.

What do you think?
    👍
    Totally agree!
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

The movie The Red Violin and the John Hiatt song Perfectly Good Guitar come to mind after reading these posts. I admire care and respect for instruments. Mandolin players and builders cherish quality and aesthetics in a way that I admire as well.
    I like this Dan Erlewine video. I cringe at the end when he gets out the rocks and knife.
    https://youtu.be/CUUuMzxJ9h8
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-14-2021 at 3:28pm. Reason: add Video

14. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

A MaxR and others probably know distressing has been prevalent in the violin world for centuries. At times the purpose was to deceive—that a violin was made to look like one from a treasured maker. A friend of mine is a top violin maker who made became renown for his copies of old instruments down to simulating the wood grain and each and every scratch or ding along with the tone produced. This is not so easy, of course. He has made clones of famous players Stradivaris and Guarneris so they can not always risk taking them out to play. In any case there is along tradition of this sort of thing that is much more recent in our fretted instruments. OTOH "vintage" violins were in demand for a lot longer than fretted ones. When I was growing up there were no vintage guitars only new and used ones.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    When I was growing up there were no vintage guitars only new and used ones.
    When we were growing up, amigo, vintage guitars were new.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    The movie The Red Violin and the John Hiatt song Perfectly Good Guitar come to mind after reading these posts.
    https://youtu.be/CUUuMzxJ9h8
    +1 on the Red Violin. We've enjoyed that movie numerous times.

Also brings to mind Annie Proulx's "Accordion Crimes" which is highly recommended if you enjoyed RV.
    No spoiler alert, but the ending of AC is worth the whole book....wonderful.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

Oh, wait ... does the accordion player get killed?

Oh, oh, even better - does the car the accordion player is in with the banjo picker, the bagpiper, the spoons rattler, and the musical saw guy go over a cliff, ending in a fiery blaze?

Oh, that's right - no spoiler alert. Dang. Well, where there's life, there's hope ...

PS: Disclaimer, after having had an in-depth session with HR, I just want to say I'm really OK with the above instruments, if properly played. Yes, it can happen. Although that time a musical saw guy decided he was going to jam with my Cajun-country-bluegrass band, during a gig, unbidden and unapproved, kind of put me off about the, ah, device.

22. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

And whatever became of the guy rattling the bones in my ear at every jam session? Like a sinister clown from a nightmare he just won't go away!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

24. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, wait ... does the accordion player get killed?

Oh, oh, even better - does the car the accordion player is in with the banjo picker, the bagpiper, the spoons rattler, and the musical saw guy go over a cliff, ending in a fiery blaze?

Oh, that's right - no spoiler alert. Dang. Well, where there's life, there's hope ...

PS: Disclaimer, after having had an in-depth session with HR, I just want to say I'm really OK with the above instruments, if properly played. Yes, it can happen. Although that time a musical saw guy decided he was going to jam with my Cajun-country-bluegrass band, during a gig, unbidden and unapproved, kind of put me off about the, ah, device.
    All this from a conch player?

Check out the book....you might come away enlightened. And entertained. It does require a few pages of reading though.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yep! Guess them banjo-haters haven't found out about this yet. We're probably fortunate in this regard due to being very limited by region. And also, images and videos abound of the conch being blown in ways that emphasize its primitive romanticism. Plus there's its prevalence in our local culture and history, where it has been used for a long, long time in ceremonies. And lastly, so few think of it as a musical instrument, it flies under the radar - or swims under the sonar. Indeed, that very aspect of it is why I keep winning contests. people don't expect to hear something musical on it.

Note extremely appropriate choice in haberdashery, providing actual MC MC.

Something a bit more ambitious ...

Thanks for the suggestion about the book.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    When we were growing up, amigo, vintage guitars were new.....

Mick
    I bought my first used Gibson a 1919 A3 in about 1977. The term vintage instrument was maybe just starting to come into use. Vintage was really for wines, hence the word, not instruments or cars. Antiques at that time were items that were over 100 years old, at east that was the definition at that time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

I prefer to be the one banging up an instrument myself, rather than to buy it new with banging-up applied at the factory. But a used instrument that had come by its scars honest-like would be okay, too.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

30. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Also brings to mind Annie Proulx's "Accordion Crimes" which is highly recommended if you enjoyed RV.
    No spoiler alert, but the ending of AC is worth the whole book....wonderful.

Mick[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just put a hold on Accordion Crimes at our library. My late Mother in laws very valuable, vintage accordion, in pristeen condition mysteriously dissapeared shortly after the step mother moved in. (no jokes please we are very sad about the loss)
    Last edited by MrMoe; May-15-2021 at 7:16am. Reason: spacing correction

Blog Entries

No jokes. Of the instruments so often reviled, rebuked, and run down in general around here (and plenty of other places), the accordion is the one I would defend. Sure, it lends itself easily enough to cheesy playing and derision, but it also is easy enough played quite enchantingly.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned now and then, where I used to live, my neighbor and I played in a duo and a couple of bands, most significantly The Love Lane Gang. He played accordion some, which meant practicing it a fair amount. Most of the time that was pleasant enough, though too much of anything can be a bit much. But minor keys lent a cool gypsy vibe to some songs, and we had a lot of fun with that - which got even cooler when we added a fiddler, who then brought his cello into the mix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neighbors 01.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	194152 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neighbors 03.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	194153

We now return you to your originally scheduled programming, already in progress ...
    Last edited by journeybear; May-15-2021 at 8:00am. Reason: it never ends ...

Another one here who loves accordions. In fact, have played quite a few gigs with accordions.

The other mandolin player in our band is now often switching over to diatonic accordion for many tunes.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, she came with that scraping and short crack above the soundhole I mentioned. The crack near the bridge happened on my watch. It's the most pressing issue. I hope my luthier doesn't try to talk me out of it as being not cost-effective. I don't want to throw a bunch of money at it and him, but if it can be done, 'twill be done.
    Remember JB if you refinish it, it very well will change the sound. I personally would make it sound and not worry about the makeup. Seeing as you like the sound now, and it may take awhile for it to sound good again if refinished. A thin varnish may not change much, but would show wear soon too. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

35. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Yeah, I know. No kidding. A lot is going to depend on how much my luthier wants to put into it. Fixing the top right may mean removing it, undoing the ham-fisted existing work, putting things aright, and reattaching. I'll discuss the prospect of refinishing as well, pros and cons. I'm curious to see how much is gone from the stained area, once that's cleaned off. All told, I could be spending almost as much as I paid for her to begin with. And not accruing resale value in the process. Which is neither here nor there, as I've never sold an instrument and have no intention to start now. Whatever such value it may someday accrue would depend on it her provenance, which will increase dramatically once I become famous. That still seems to be a long shot, though ...

I'm also hoping he'll have gotten Molly Jr. in good working order by the time I get up there, and that she's sounding as good as Molly. I recall her being almost on a par, and after being brought up to speed she should be all good, as they say. I'm also psyched to see if he'll have the 1908 A-1 in good shape. She needed a heaping helping of TLC when I got her. It would be great to have her in good playing condition. I've had her for five years but hardly played her. Would be nice ...