Thread: Mandolin for beginners - P Gelling - fingering

Default Mandolin for beginners - P Gelling - fingering

I'm confused, easily done.
    M for beginners sources, state:- 1 and 2 frets = finger 1. 3 and 4 frets = finger 2 etc
    Gelling, shows on G string, notes A, B, and C, to be played by fingers 1, 3 and 4. (Similar instructions for D, A, and E strings)
    What's going on? Am I missing something? Is there a good reason behind Gelling's fingerings?
    Help, I need an answer before I develop bad habits.

Default Re: Mandolin for beginners - P Gelling - fingering

Never seen Gelling’s book. This is basic starter position on the fretboard. One finger covers 2 frets. Obviously, you’ll modify positions as you move around. Essential concept: covering 8 frets with 4 fingers.

If you’re just getting started, maybe a basic video or live lesson would get you off on the right path. Check out Mandolessons.com (free with optional donation). Baron has a beginner series that might help you with some basics. Wish I’d known about it when I started.

Also, you’ll find great all around info in Mandolins for Dummies by Don Julin.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

3. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestion to check out mandolessons. It's great to find out that Gelling's finger positions are at least, questionable, and at most, teaching you c... eg I was finding the g-string use of 3rd finger for B, and 4th finger for C notes, pretty uncomfortable/impossible. I thank you again. Now I can learn fingering (2 fret method) correctly, Gelling goodbye. I still don't know where Gelling is coming from!

PS A-board, have just bought Mandolin for Dummies, from the ubiquitous (other word) Amazon.