Thread: Spirit varnish vs nitro

Default Spirit varnish vs nitro

My hands don’t get along with nitro finished necks. As soon as I get warmed up to the instrument, my hand starts sticking like crazy. I’ve heard others say the same, and it happens to a lesser degree with gloss poly finishes.

Does spirit varnish, like what Northfield uses on the Artist series have this same tendency?

Default Re: Spirit varnish vs nitro

I prefer the hand feel of spirit varnish. I have found it to be less durable, especially around the contact areas with players who perspire. This is a hot topic with banjo players. Many opt for bare wood on the neck. Some recommend rubbing the neck with 0000 steel wool.

A coat of Renaissance Wax also works well to reduce the sticky feel of lacquer necks. It's an excellent product.

I have some Qualasole. There has been some dissusion about it on the Cafe and other sites. I will do an experiment on a sticky neck. I enjoyed Mr. Mowrys site and will be getting some Renaissance Wax as well. Fun to see that Bend Oregon is still home to very fine builders.

5. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

amowry 

On Saturday I rubbed a unplesant feeling lacquered neck with old red scotchbrite and applied Qualasole with a dense well broken in linen and cotton pad, two coats. The gloss came back and today it has the slick waxy feel of shelack. It is much improved. Renaissance wax will be easier and smell better.